Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

Default (OT) Avoid Shopping at Walgreens

Years ago, Walgreens was a store I'd regularly shop at. But in recent
years their prices seem to have gotten quite a bit higher than their
competitors, so I have not been in any of their stores for at least a
year.

Yesterday I noticed they had Arizona Iced tea cans advertised for Two
for $1.00 on their sign. I like that stuff, so I decided to go get
some. I grabbed 2 cans off the shelf and found another item I needed,
which was priced at $1.69. I went to the checkout, and the clerk asked
me if I have a Walgreens card. I said "No", and was paying with cash.
The total came to $5.24. I asked how she came up with that amount,
while saying that my total should be $2.69 plus tax. I asked how much I
was charged for the Iced Tea. She said $0.99 per can. I said "it's
advertised two for one dollar". She told me that price is only for
people with Walgreens cards. I told her to remove them from my sale.

Then I was quoted about $3.50 for that other item, which was priced
$1.69 on the shelf. I told her that the price on the shelf is marked
$1.69. She told me that price is just for people with Walgreens cards.
That's when I got angry, and told her that if my cash is not good
enough, then I dont want anything, and I wont shop at Walgreens ever
again. I left the store.

The bottom line is this. It appears that you MUST have a Walgreens card
to shop in their stores now. If you dont have one, they charge you
DOUBLE the price listed on the shelf.

I just thought I'd share this so others dont get caught in their trap.
Actually, I think there is some "False advertising" involved, and in my
opinion, what they are doing is illegal. But I dont have any lawyer
friends, and I have better things to do with my time. I just wont shop
at Walgreens ever again.

* And as a followup, I bought that "other item" at Walmart for a better
price, than the shelf price was at Walgreens.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

wrote:
[...]

No, you don't need a card to shop in their stores, you only need a card to
get the discounted price.

price is available if you have a card, it will be marked on the tag

I just thought I'd share this so others dont get caught in their trap.
Actually, I think there is some "False advertising" involved, and in my
opinion, what they are doing is illegal. But I dont have any lawyer
friends, and I have better things to do with my time. I just wont shop
at Walgreens ever again.

There's nothing illegal about giving a discount only if you gave the card.
As long as you agree to the rules related to using the card and choose to
sign up, you can get a discount. Your choice.

Again, go back and read the tag. It will say that the card is required to
get the discounted price.

* And as a followup, I bought that "other item" at Walmart for a better
price, than the shelf price was at Walgreens.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 07:52:21 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 1/22/2014 5:28 AM, wrote:
Years ago, Walgreens was a store I'd regularly shop at. But in recent
years their prices seem to have gotten quite a bit higher than their
competitors, so I have not been in any of their stores for at least a
year.

The bottom line is this. It appears that you MUST have a Walgreens card
to shop in their stores now. If you dont have one, they charge you
DOUBLE the price listed on the shelf.

I had a similar problem with Rite Aid, which had
some items on clearance (with store card only,
else you pay retail). Sorry to hear that about
Walgreens. There are several such stores in NYS,
and I like their clearance end cap in the back.
Can get some good bargains on things.

Same with CVS, too.

I'm glad my home town still has a small local pharmacy. There are a few
stores in the area, and that's it. These huge chain stores are getting
way too big. I'm elderly, and I have paid in cash all my life, except
for large purchases, when I will use a check. I am extremely annoyed by
having to run around hoops to buy something. I hate playing games with
money too. It's always pennies, and my time is too valuable to me, to
waste it playing stupid games, for mere pennies. It's like rebates. If
a rebate is for $10 or more, I may send it, but I've gotten them for
$1.00. What's the point? A postage stamp costs around a half dollar
now, and I have to pay for envelopes, and then I have to waste my time
filling out forms. It's not worth it. In the end, I might actually be
a quarter ahead. Not worth the hassle, or my time!

I'll be sure to avoid CVS knowing they do this too. I've never seen a
Rite Aid store, they are probably not in my region.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

wrote in message
[...]

Lots of stores do that. Not a new thing! But often they will scan their
own card to let you get the lower prices.

My beef with Walgreens is that they often have things 2/ or 3/ some price.
Such as 2/$1 but if you only buy one, you pay a higher price, such as 79
cents. Seems like I only need one of the thing or... I would buy more but
they only have one!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 05:39:55 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

I guess you won't be saving much money them. Perhaps such cards are rare in
your area but I doubt it. CVS and Rite Aid have the same. And most of the
grocery stores in this area have the same. Plus they are loading coupons
straight to your card. So... No card? SOL. You could always do what
someone I know does. Get the card with a bogus name, bogus phone number and
a throwaway account for e-mail.

I live in a rural area. The town is very small. We dont have crap like
this. My local pharmacy sends me a thing in the mail every so often for
a free $5.00 off any purchase, based on the number of prescriptions I
get. But that's fine. They have my personal information from my
prescriptions, so I dont have to sign up anything. I like these bonuses
too. We dont have a Walgreens. I was visiting a big city, which is
where this Walgreens is. Our rural grocery stores dont have anything
like that either. Everyone in the area gets a flyer in the mail about
twice a month full of coupons. I can use them without having to give
out any personal information. Of course half the people that work there
are my friends and neighbors, so they dont need to invade my privacy or
have me fill out forms. They know me, I know them, and most of them are
decent people.

I'm glad I live in a rural area and small town. The only downfall is
that we only have slow dialup internet service out here in the country.
The only way to get fast intenet is to subscribe to satellite tv, and
that's very costly. The other downfall is a lack of access to stores
that sell affordable building materials and machinery parts. We almost
have to go to one of the cities for that stuff. But I'll live with the
slow internet, and lack of certain stores and businesses versus all the
craziness of the big cities. Our local pharmacy is really "cool" too.
They have all sorts of handmade crafts to sell, and some real great
antique stuff to decorate the place. Walgreens is just BLAH in that
regard. Every store is the same it seems...... But that seems to be the
case with all chain stores. Walmart is like that too, but at least they
dont play all those games and require cards and forms to fill out. What
it says on the shelf is what I pay, and I like it that way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/22/2014 08:23 AM, sms wrote:
On 1/22/2014 2:28 AM, wrote:
Years ago, Walgreens was a store I'd regularly shop at. But in recent
years their prices seem to have gotten quite a bit higher than their
competitors, so I have not been in any of their stores for at least a
year.

The ads all saw "with card." The card is free. You don't have to supply
your actual name or address or phone number so there are no privacy
concerns. Walgreen's is not alone in adopting this annoyance. In fact
they adopted it far later than CVS.

What is annoying is that Walgreen's has adopted the same model as
Safeway, often having multiple prices for the same item. There is the
regular price, the card price, a coupon price, a coupon + card price,
and a price based on buying a larger quantity (legal, as long as they
explicitly state the quantity pricing). This can cause interminable
delays at the checkout counter as customers argue with the cashier.

Most retail stores have pretty much the same goal. Charge more to
non-price sensitive customers who aren't interested in taking the time
to reduce their costs while not losing the price-sensitive customers
that are still profitable to sell to. At some point it gets so annoying
that everyone just goes to Costco.

The nearest Costo to me is 25 miles so I won't go there
but it seems most stores I go to use those "store cards" now...so I use
them. I feel it foolish not to as I've often saved more than $5 on a
purchase.

Why **** away money for the two seconds it takes to scan the card...big
deal.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

On 1/22/2014 5:28 AM, wrote:
[...]

I have not seen this at Walgreens but normally avoid them as they are
the priciest drug store in the area.

My wife gets all these cards but I don't. When asked, I just give them
our phone number and she gets the credit. I do carry a Rite Aid card as
it gives discounts at the register.

Buying stuff around here, all the big stores are here but I am just as
likely to buy on-line. Neighbor that works at the Amazon warehouse
about 20 miles from here tells me that they have 8 million different
items in the warehouse. You might get your order the next day. It was
great during Christmas when shipping was free.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 22, 2014 8:17:49 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 07:52:21 -0500, Kurt Ullman

wrote:

In article ,

Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 1/22/2014 5:28 AM, wrote:

[...]

What about supermarkets? Here, NJ, every one of them has a
card program. With the card you save a lot of money at all
of them except Wegmans. Even at Wegmans they have some deals
that require it.

After the initial post, you clarified that you were travelling.
In that regard, you have a situation I've come across too. I
have cards for the stores here that I use regularly. But I've
been in situations traveling, where for example the regional
supermarket has some sale items and because I don't live there,
I don't have the card. That does annoy me if I happen to be
buying something that requires it to get the lower price. It would be nice
if no card were required. But you also have to realize that
supermarkets frequently have big discounts on some items and
then limit the amount you can buy to 4, or 8, whatever. The
card makes it easy to control that, at least for 95% of the
folks. If you're really determined, you could get another
card with a fake address, etc, but few will bother doing that.
They also use the cards to keep track of promotions like a
free turkey at Thanksgiving if you buy $400 worth of stuff
in the 6 weeks before, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 05:56:03 -0700, wrote:

....snip...
Well. I'll just put this as bluntly as I can. I dont want their f#%&ing
card. I dont want or own any credit cards, particularly the "in store
....snip...

Safeway has the same program. Tags on shelf are a bit misleading. Prices
jacked up,...unless you have a 'card'

I have a card.

It all started years ago while during check out was asked "Do you have a
card? If you do this item is $5, instead of 9.99" ok ok let me fill out a
card. Ummmm let's se my name is Mickey the Mouse, I live at the White
House, my birthday is Jan 1 of this year and my phone number, Dial a
Prayer.

I saved 4.99

Later, I got a new card with email address, now Safeway sends me discounts
on something I was going to buy anyway!

But still, I wish they wouldn't jack the price up so high, before
discountingit down to a 'normal' price. I think people are smarter than
that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 07:11:25 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, January 22, 2014 8:17:49 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 07:52:21 -0500, Kurt Ullman

wrote:

In article ,

Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 1/22/2014 5:28 AM, wrote:

[...]

Same here. We use Kroger for just about everything, including
prescription drugs. In addition to having the best prices, they have
gas "points" (each $100 purchase drops a fillup by $.10/gallon on an
already low price).

[...]

Traveling is another reason we deal with Kroger. They're common in
most parts of the US and the prescriptions are available almost
anywhere, if needed. The same could be said for CVS, and the like,
but they're *way* more expensive (even though they're "preferred" by
my insurance).

As far as privacy goes, I really don't care much if the megacorp knows
that I drink diet Coke and eat Cheerios.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 22, 2014 5:28:11 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Drug pushers. THey need to be beaten to death in Deerfield Ill with baseball bats.
Violently overthrow the US government.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

TomR wrote:
For a long time, the ONLY phrmacy that I would go to in my area was
Walgreen's -- because they were the only pharmacy/drugstore in my
area that didn't have those stupid store cards. But, recently I
noticed that even Walgreen's started doing the store card routine --
so no more of the idea of me making a special effort to ONLY go to
Walgreen's because they had no store card.

Do be sure to let them know that.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

TomR wrote:

But, I also hate to admit that I am also thinking of just caving in
on the store card game. I think (but I am not sure) that I can give
them all the same phone number and some innocuous mostly bogus
personal info and never carry one of their stupid cards. Instead, I
see people just giving their phone number and saying they don't have
their card with them. I happen to have a separate low-cost phone
line that I can use for that, and its a line that I never actually
answer and mostly just use for outgoing calls.

If you give them a real phone #, they've got you identified. If you ever pay
with plastic, they've got you.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

On 1/22/2014 10:16 AM, sms wrote:

For all the criticism of Walmart, you point something out that I've also
noticed about them--they don't play those games. They don't have loyalty
cards. They don't change prices if you buy multiples of the same item.
They don't have sale prices even when they put out ad circulars (but
they do match competitors prices). Walmart hasn't tried to go "boutique"
like Target. You can still buy motor oil, sporting goods, camping gear,
thread, and other useful stuff.

Yes, that's something I can agree. Walmart does
have useful items. I've heard a few scare stories
about stuff in their Great Value brand foods (made
in china). But, who can tell?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

On 1/22/2014 10:16 AM, sms wrote:

As others have pointed out, there is no requirement to provide a real
name, address, or phone number to get the card, and many people use
bogus (and creative) names. A good list of some names to use is at
http://www.cartalk.com/content/staff-credits. Or take an Indian name
such as Mr. Venkatanarasimharajuvaripeta or Mr.
Wolfe*schlegel*stein*hausen*berger*dorff. Unfortunately, Walgreen's
doesn't call you by name, like Safeway does, when they hand you your
receipt.

Many systems have limited characters. So, you're
likely to be shortened to Venkata or Wolfesch.

I'd love to see what Monty Pythons Flying Circus
would do with that concept. With their droll humor,
I can imagine them having a ripping good time, what?
How about a last name that takes seven minutes to
say out, and people start to faint from the vapors?

One time when I was in the airport at San Francisco,
there was a voice page for Mr. Rection, Mr. Hugh
G. Rection, white courtesy phones, please.

In college, I was Christophe for a while.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

On 1/22/2014 12:28 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 12:22:14 -0600, Moe DeLoughan
wrote:

On 1/22/2014 11:18 AM, Bob F wrote:
Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 1/22/2014 4:28 AM,
wrote:

The bottom line is this. It appears that you MUST have a Walgreens
card to shop in their stores now. If you dont have one, they charge
you DOUBLE the price listed on the shelf.

Well, if you really wanted the savings, you could always create a fake
name and address and use it to fill out the loyalty cards.

Which only works if you NEVER use anything but cash to pay.

Yes. If you want to limit the amount of detail in your personal
dossiers, you'll try to pay with cash as much as possible. Purchases
made with check, debit or credit card are linked to you and the
retailers sell that information to the data collection companies. That
information, along with that supplied by lenders, insurers, employers,
landlords, and all the publicly available data about each of us,
creates an incredibly detailed personal profile. And it's available to
anyone willing to pay for it. One of the companies sold profiles that
included banking and SSN details to a bunch of foreign hackers who
used it to commit identity theft.

Got a citation? That would make them an accomplice in fact.

Experian Sold Consumer Data to ID Theft Service

An identity theft service that sold Social Security and drivers
license numbers — as well as bank account and credit card data on
millions of Americans — purchased much of its data from Experian, one
of the three major credit bureaus, according to a lengthy
investigation by KrebsOnSecurity.

....Martin said he first learned of the ID theft service after hearing
from a U.S. Secret Service agent who called and said the law
enforcement agency was investigating Experian and had obtained a grand
jury subpoena against the company.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/10/e...theft-service/

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

and what do they say when you ask for a rain check?
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/22/2014 8:23 AM, sms wrote:

Most retail stores have pretty much the same goal. Charge more to
non-price sensitive customers who aren't interested in taking the time
to reduce their costs while not losing the price-sensitive customers
that are still profitable to sell to. At some point it gets so annoying
that everyone just goes to Costco.

Obviously they don't in sufficient numbers to matter or they would no
longer do such...

While it's a hopeless cause I detest the practice.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
SMS SMS is offline

On 1/22/2014 9:13 AM, Bob F wrote:

snip

Which works only until the first time you don't pay with cash. After that, they
have everything you ever purchased there linked to YOU.

If you pay with a credit card they can build a profile of your purchases
regardless of whether you take the discount with the spy card (with
bogus information) or not.

The bottom line is that you're no worse off taking the discounts with a
spy card with bogus information whether you pay with a credit card or
with cash.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

On 1/22/2014 1:39 PM, BenignBodger wrote:

Do as you wish. You will find that virtually every one of these store
cards is available with no proof of identity and certainly no financial
data such as credit card numbers and you can readily feed any of them
any identification you want to -- nobody checks. Many of them collect
nothing -- ask for a card and they hand it to you. Period. Otherwise,
you can readily be Kermit T. Frog living on Sesame Street with an email
address of , just as I use.

There's evidence that the strategy may be crumbling under its own weight.
Local Albertsons food chain has discontinued their loyalty/card programs.
Probably cuz too many people, like me, only bought the loss leaders.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

mike wrote:
On 1/22/2014 1:39 PM, BenignBodger wrote:

Do as you wish. You will find that virtually every one of these store
cards is available with no proof of identity and certainly no
financial data such as credit card numbers and you can readily feed
any of them any identification you want to -- nobody checks. Many of
them collect nothing -- ask for a card and they hand it to you.
Period. Otherwise, you can readily be Kermit T. Frog living on
Sesame Street with an email address of , just as I
use.

There's evidence that the strategy may be crumbling under its own
weight. Local Albertsons food chain has discontinued their
loyalty/card programs. Probably cuz too many people, like me, only
bought the loss leaders.

Ummmm. That was the purpose of "sales" and Coupons before the spy cards = to get
you in the store so you'd buy other things. The spy cards just give them the
ability to match everything you buy to you and sell that info as they desire.

I am glad to hear a store is dropping the spy cards.

OT -- avoid the flu shot? Stormin Mormon[_7_] Home Repair 49 December 17th 12 12:10 AM
Shopping in Peace, or Avoid the Droid Jon Danniken[_2_] Home Repair 26 November 28th 09 02:05 PM
Shopping in Peace, or Avoid the Droid Oren[_2_] Home Repair 4 November 27th 09 11:14 PM
Avoid A2Z Radon DPH1 Home Repair 1 November 12th 07 10:57 AM
prices Ace VS Walgreens. Charles Schuler Home Repair 5 March 21st 07 01:27 PM