Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Avoid Shopping at Walgreens

On Wednesday, January 22, 2014 8:17:49 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 07:52:21 -0500, Kurt Ullman

wrote:

In article ,

Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 1/22/2014 5:28 AM, wrote:

Years ago, Walgreens was a store I'd regularly shop at. But in recent

years their prices seem to have gotten quite a bit higher than their

competitors, so I have not been in any of their stores for at least a

year.

The bottom line is this. It appears that you MUST have a Walgreens card

to shop in their stores now. If you dont have one, they charge you

DOUBLE the price listed on the shelf.

I had a similar problem with Rite Aid, which had

some items on clearance (with store card only,

else you pay retail). Sorry to hear that about

Walgreens. There are several such stores in NYS,

and I like their clearance end cap in the back.

Can get some good bargains on things.

Same with CVS, too.

I'm glad my home town still has a small local pharmacy. There are a few

stores in the area, and that's it. These huge chain stores are getting

way too big. I'm elderly, and I have paid in cash all my life, except

for large purchases, when I will use a check. I am extremely annoyed by

having to run around hoops to buy something. I hate playing games with

money too. It's always pennies, and my time is too valuable to me, to

waste it playing stupid games, for mere pennies. It's like rebates. If

a rebate is for $10 or more, I may send it, but I've gotten them for

$1.00. What's the point? A postage stamp costs around a half dollar

now, and I have to pay for envelopes, and then I have to waste my time

filling out forms. It's not worth it. In the end, I might actually be

a quarter ahead. Not worth the hassle, or my time!

I'll be sure to avoid CVS knowing they do this too. I've never seen a

Rite Aid store, they are probably not in my region.

What about supermarkets? Here, NJ, every one of them has a
card program. With the card you save a lot of money at all
of them except Wegmans. Even at Wegmans they have some deals
that require it.

After the initial post, you clarified that you were travelling.
In that regard, you have a situation I've come across too. I
have cards for the stores here that I use regularly. But I've
been in situations traveling, where for example the regional
supermarket has some sale items and because I don't live there,
I don't have the card. That does annoy me if I happen to be
buying something that requires it to get the lower price. It would be nice
if no card were required. But you also have to realize that
supermarkets frequently have big discounts on some items and
then limit the amount you can buy to 4, or 8, whatever. The
card makes it easy to control that, at least for 95% of the
folks. If you're really determined, you could get another
card with a fake address, etc, but few will bother doing that.
They also use the cards to keep track of promotions like a
free turkey at Thanksgiving if you buy $400 worth of stuff
in the 6 weeks before, etc.