Posted to alt.home.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default (OT) Avoid Shopping at Walgreens

On 01/22/2014 08:23 AM, sms wrote:
On 1/22/2014 2:28 AM, wrote:
Years ago, Walgreens was a store I'd regularly shop at. But in recent
years their prices seem to have gotten quite a bit higher than their
competitors, so I have not been in any of their stores for at least a
year.

The ads all saw "with card." The card is free. You don't have to supply
your actual name or address or phone number so there are no privacy
concerns. Walgreen's is not alone in adopting this annoyance. In fact
they adopted it far later than CVS.

What is annoying is that Walgreen's has adopted the same model as
Safeway, often having multiple prices for the same item. There is the
regular price, the card price, a coupon price, a coupon + card price,
and a price based on buying a larger quantity (legal, as long as they
explicitly state the quantity pricing). This can cause interminable
delays at the checkout counter as customers argue with the cashier.

Most retail stores have pretty much the same goal. Charge more to
non-price sensitive customers who aren't interested in taking the time
to reduce their costs while not losing the price-sensitive customers
that are still profitable to sell to. At some point it gets so annoying
that everyone just goes to Costco.

The nearest Costo to me is 25 miles so I won't go there
but it seems most stores I go to use those "store cards" now...so I use
them. I feel it foolish not to as I've often saved more than $5 on a
purchase.

Why **** away money for the two seconds it takes to scan the card...big
deal.