Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's a great way to clean surface of new stainless steel fridge -keeps rusting!

This is a new Kitchenaid 'built-in' look stainless steel surfaced fridge.
The mfgr recommended some brand of SS Cleaner carried at Walmart, but
Walmart doesn't carry it, nor any of the stores nearby.

I use distilled water on all the GE appliances and they come out spotless
for months. I don't use DI on this fridge, because this @#$#@ fridge keeps
developing a sheen of brown rust! Some stainless steel, eh?

I recently have been using Wynne(sp?) treated towellettes that seem to
work a bit, for about 5 days.

Anybody recommend something that actually makes the SS look good AND
prevents this rusting? ...and easy to use.

PS: in Arizona with 5-10% humidity, and it's winter with heating so more
like ZERO, rusting is not likely to be caused by a 'damp' environment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/06/2014 10:20 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
This is a new Kitchenaid 'built-in' look stainless steel surfaced
fridge. The mfgr recommended some brand of SS Cleaner carried at
Walmart, but Walmart doesn't carry it, nor any of the stores nearby.

I use distilled water on all the GE appliances and they come out
spotless for months. I don't use DI on this fridge, because this @#$#@
fridge keeps developing a sheen of brown rust! Some stainless steel, eh?

I recently have been using Wynne(sp?) treated towellettes that seem to
work a bit, for about 5 days.

Anybody recommend something that actually makes the SS look good AND
prevents this rusting? ...and easy to use.

PS: in Arizona with 5-10% humidity, and it's winter with heating so more
like ZERO, rusting is not likely to be caused by a 'damp' environment.

Stainless steel does not rust. If your stuff is rusting, you were cheated.

To clean most anything , just equal parts, water, white vinegar and
rubbing alcohol.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo " wrote in message
[...]

Some SS does depends on the make up on the various metals used in the
formation

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/06/2014 01:47 PM, NotMe wrote:

Stainless steel does not rust. If your stuff is rusting, you were cheated.

Some SS does depends on the make up on the various metals used in the
formation

If it had less than 12% chromium I suppose it could rust but I believe
it would be illegal to market it as stainless steel.

It could be a defective batch.

I have a rather inexpensive stainless steel sink and I am quite
negligent when it comes to cleaning it... in the 25 years I've had it
there has never been one iota of rust on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2014 11:20 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
This is a new Kitchenaid 'built-in' look stainless steel surfaced
fridge. The mfgr recommended some brand of SS Cleaner carried at
Walmart, but Walmart doesn't carry it, nor any of the stores nearby.

I use distilled water on all the GE appliances and they come out
spotless for months. I don't use DI on this fridge, because this @#$#@
fridge keeps developing a sheen of brown rust! Some stainless steel, eh?

I recently have been using Wynne(sp?) treated towellettes that seem to
work a bit, for about 5 days.

Anybody recommend something that actually makes the SS look good AND
prevents this rusting? ...and easy to use.

PS: in Arizona with 5-10% humidity, and it's winter with heating so more
like ZERO, rusting is not likely to be caused by a 'damp' environment.

The one time I worked on a cooler with stainless
sides, I disfigured the finish with refrigeration
coil cleaner. I called the company, and they suggested
mineral "baby" oil and a soft cloth. It didn't satisfy
the customer, who was playing a stiff game of NIGYSOB.
But, it sure did look a lot better than before.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Senior Member

Robert:

I would try cleaning that brown sheen with bleach just to see if it comes off. If it does, it's not rust. If there are any smokers in your house, it might be cigarette smoke residue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 6, 2014 8:20:56 AM UTC-8, Robert Macy wrote:
This is a new Kitchenaid 'built-in' look stainless steel surfaced fridge.

The mfgr recommended some brand of SS Cleaner carried at Walmart, but

Walmart doesn't carry it, nor any of the stores nearby.

I use distilled water on all the GE appliances and they come out spotless

for months. I don't use DI on this fridge, because this @#$#@ fridge keeps

developing a sheen of brown rust! Some stainless steel, eh?

I recently have been using Wynne(sp?) treated towellettes that seem to

work a bit, for about 5 days.

Anybody recommend something that actually makes the SS look good AND

prevents this rusting? ...and easy to use.

PS: in Arizona with 5-10% humidity, and it's winter with heating so more

like ZERO, rusting is not likely to be caused by a 'damp' environment.

I would use Brasso or chrome polish and a rag.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2014 11:20 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
This is a new Kitchenaid 'built-in' look stainless steel surfaced
fridge. The mfgr recommended some brand of SS Cleaner carried at
Walmart, but Walmart doesn't carry it, nor any of the stores nearby.

I use distilled water on all the GE appliances and they come out
spotless for months. I don't use DI on this fridge, because this @#$#@
fridge keeps developing a sheen of brown rust! Some stainless steel, eh?

I recently have been using Wynne(sp?) treated towellettes that seem to
work a bit, for about 5 days.

Anybody recommend something that actually makes the SS look good AND
prevents this rusting? ...and easy to use.

PS: in Arizona with 5-10% humidity, and it's winter with heating so more
like ZERO, rusting is not likely to be caused by a 'damp' environment.

Stop. The original poster said, in a sort of convoluted way, stainless
'look'. I have a Whirlpool stainless look fridge (same company now) and
it is basically painted to look like SS. I doubt that it is rust. It's
probably cooking or tobacco deposits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/07/2014 08:30 AM, Art Todesco wrote:

Stop. The original poster said, in a sort of convoluted way, stainless
'look'. I have a Whirlpool stainless look fridge (same company now) and
it is basically painted to look like SS. I doubt that it is rust. It's
probably cooking or tobacco deposits.

Good catch. No way could SS rust unless it was a defective batch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 6, 2014 3:34:24 PM UTC-5, philo* wrote:
On 01/06/2014 01:47 PM, NotMe wrote:

Stainless steel does not rust. If your stuff is rusting, you were cheated.

Some SS does depends on the make up on the various metals used in the

formation

If it had less than 12% chromium I suppose it could rust but I believe

it would be illegal to market it as stainless steel.

It could be a defective batch.

I have a rather inexpensive stainless steel sink and I am quite

negligent when it comes to cleaning it... in the 25 years I've had it

there has never been one iota of rust on it.

I agree. There are fridges being sold today that have a stainless steel
"look" via some coating process, but are not really stainless steel.
They do actually describe it in the product specs, but you have to read
it carefully.

And if it's rusting, I don't think it's a "cleaning" issue. I guess
you could coat it with some wax type of product, which might help.
But if you have a surface that can rust, I don't see how what you clean
it with is going to make a difference, unless it leaves some kind of
protective coating behind.

I'd suggest first checking the product specs and finding out what it
actually says it's made of. Then if he can't find the product the
manufacturer recommends, take a look at what other manufacturers of
similar fridges recommend.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Jan 2014 12:47:43 -0700, NotMe wrote:

"philo " wrote in message
...snip....

Stainless steel does not rust. If your stuff is rusting, you were
cheated.

Some SS does depends on the make up on the various metals used in the
formation

I can guarantee that EVERY SS I've worked with will rust, just a matter of
degree as to how much.

I've even had an expensive thick SS kitchen sink get a hole through it!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Jan 2014 14:17:12 -0700, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

...snip....

The one time I worked on a cooler with stainless
sides, I disfigured the finish with refrigeration
coil cleaner. I called the company, and they suggested
mineral "baby" oil and a soft cloth. It didn't satisfy
the customer, who was playing a stiff game of NIGYSOB.
But, it sure did look a lot better than before.

Hmmmm... I know oil makes it look good since it 'fills' I once tried
olive oil [this is in the kitchen] but it seemed to oxidize a bit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RobertMacy" wrote in message
newsp.w9sgbido2cx0wh@ajm...
On Mon, 06 Jan 2014 12:47:43 -0700, NotMe wrote:

"philo " wrote in message
...snip....
Stainless steel does not rust. If your stuff is rusting, you were
cheated.

Some SS does depends on the make up on the various metals used in the
formation

I can guarantee that EVERY SS I've worked with will rust, just a matter of
degree as to how much.

I've even had an expensive thick SS kitchen sink get a hole through it!

Depends on the amount of chromium in the alloy.
And oxygen must be present to prevent "rusting" with stainless steel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 6, 2014 8:20:56 AM UTC-8, Robert Macy wrote:
This is a new Kitchenaid 'built-in' look stainless steel surfaced fridge.

The mfgr recommended some brand of SS Cleaner carried at Walmart, but

Walmart doesn't carry it, nor any of the stores nearby.

snip

If it hasn't been mentioned befo

The best way to clean a stainless steel is not to buy one in the first place. It is hardly news to anyone that Stainless steel appliances are a _very_ high maintenance item compared to enamel finish.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Jan 2014 10:34:28 -0600, philo wrote:

Stainless steel does not rust. If your stuff is rusting, you were cheated.

What he said, except that *some* stainless steel apparently does rust,
depending on the amount of iron in it.

Anyway, what works on my stainless steel shelving from Costco is pool acid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 08:57:47 +0000, harryagain wrote:

Depends on the amount of chromium in the alloy.

Is it the Chromium? Or the Iron that rusts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 02:51:19 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico
wrote:

On Mon, 06 Jan 2014 10:34:28 -0600, philo wrote:

Stainless steel does not rust. If your stuff is rusting, you were cheated.

What he said, except that *some* stainless steel apparently does rust,
depending on the amount of iron in it.

Test SS with a magnet. If it sticks, move along.

My outdoor gas grill is SS with no rust. I took a magnet with me when
I bought the unit. Exterior, SS grates and brass burners.

Do not expect a fridge to be of the same quality SS.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 11:14:17 -0700, Harry K wrote:

On Monday, January 6, 2014 8:20:56 AM UTC-8, Robert Macy wrote:
This is a new Kitchenaid 'built-in' look stainless steel surfaced
fridge.

The mfgr recommended some brand of SS Cleaner carried at Walmart, but

Walmart doesn't carry it, nor any of the stores nearby.

snip

If it hasn't been mentioned befo

The best way to clean a stainless steel is not to buy one in the first
place. It is hardly news to anyone that Stainless steel appliances are
a _very_ high maintenance item compared to enamel finish.

Harry K

Hear, hear!! Actually, I fear, high maintenance compared to ANYTHING!

I second second and third your comment, but alas, have to match all the
other @#$#$@!@#^!!! appliances.

Don't even get me started on SS sinks!

All this stuff comes under the heading, "What were they thinking?!"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 02:51:52 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico
wrote:

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 08:57:47 +0000, harryagain wrote:

Depends on the amount of chromium in the alloy.

Is it the Chromium? Or the Iron that rusts?

It's the Chromium that makes it stainless steel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mon, 06 Jan 2014 10:34:28 -0600, philo wrote:

Stainless steel does not rust. If your stuff is rusting, you were cheated.

What he said, except that *some* stainless steel apparently does rust,
depending on the amount of iron in it.

Test SS with a magnet. If it sticks, move along.

Not necessarily. Some SS is magnetic.

My outdoor gas grill is SS with no rust. I took a magnet with me when
I bought the unit. Exterior, SS grates and brass burners.

Do not expect a fridge to be of the same quality SS.

I suppose it depends on what you're paying for a 'fridge. I *expect*
high quality SS if that's what I'm paying for. I certainly don't
expect it to rust. Ever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

only non magnetic stainless wouldnt rust.

if ts magnetic it can rust.

many machines I service use stainless, or did till the bean counters got to the design
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 18:12:07 -0700, bob haller wrote:

only non magnetic stainless wouldnt rust.

if ts magnetic it can rust.

many machines I service use stainless, or did till the bean counters got
to the design

Thanks, for the info. Learn something new everyday. just checked. the
sink, oven front, microwave front, vent hood are ALL non-magnetic and have
no rust forming

However, relatively new, purchased 2/2012 for $2,420. it's a rather small
Kitchenaid fridge, model KFCS22EVMS
Even though didn't even roll it into position until 7/2012 it's now passed
its one year warrantee.

not cheap at all!

I was simply irritated by their lack of customer support trying to get any
answers over the telephone, but now I'm more livid with being sold
stainless steel that really isn't. Gross misrepresentation.

Too late for me to go back through VISA to get reimbursed

hmmm.... any ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 22:26:22 -0700, RobertMacy
wrote:

...snip...
Thanks, for the info. Learn something new everyday. just checked. the
sink, oven front, microwave front, vent hood are ALL non-magnetic and
have no rust forming

forgot to mention, the Kitchenaid 'stailess steel' that is rusting is
indeed magnetic!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 22:28:21 -0700, RobertMacy
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 22:26:22 -0700, RobertMacy
wrote:

...snip...
Thanks, for the info. Learn something new everyday. just checked. the
sink, oven front, microwave front, vent hood are ALL non-magnetic and
have no rust forming

forgot to mention, the Kitchenaid 'stailess steel' that is rusting is
indeed magnetic!

Lesson: take a magnet when purchasing

PDF:

_Stainless steel grade chart_

http://www.atlassteels.com.au/documents/Stainless%20Steel%20Grade%20Composition%20Chart.pd f

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Ideas on how to get what you wanted? No, but some don't like
non-magnetic 'fridges. Seems magnets don't stick the kiddies' art
with the non-magnetic alloys. It's a feechur.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 16:12:08 -0700, wrote:

...snip....

Ideas on how to get what you wanted? No, but some don't like
non-magnetic 'fridges. Seems magnets don't stick the kiddies' art
with the non-magnetic alloys. It's a feechur.

Interesting. In that case they should have used two layers. magnetic under
and true stainless on top.

Or, it's a feture, like the way ?? candy company is trying to sell
'foamed' candy bars and showing how much people enjoy buying less product
and eating a pile of chocolate flavored air, or something.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/20/2014 6:54 PM, RobertMacy wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 16:12:08 -0700, wrote:

...snip....

Ideas on how to get what you wanted? No, but some don't like
non-magnetic 'fridges. Seems magnets don't stick the kiddies' art
with the non-magnetic alloys. It's a feechur.

Interesting. In that case they should have used two layers. magnetic
under and true stainless on top.

Magnetic stainless steel _is_ "true" stainless steel. There are many
kinds of stainless steel, just like there are many kinds of steel.

I have doubts what you have if it rusts rapidly in a dry house. Ordinary
steel shouldn't rust as fast as you describe.

But then you said all stainless steel rusts.

You could try wax in a small area.

----------
I read long ago that cleaning stainless with steel wool can result in rust.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 09:42:08 -0700, bud-- wrote:

...snip....

Magnetic stainless steel _is_ "true" stainless steel. There are many
kinds of stainless steel, just like there are many kinds of steel.

I have doubts what you have if it rusts rapidly in a dry house. Ordinary
steel shouldn't rust as fast as you describe.

But then you said all stainless steel rusts.

You could try wax in a small area.

----------
I read long ago that cleaning stainless with steel wool can result in
rust.

This is a kitchen fridge that cost a bit of coin, so not likely to abuse
it with steel wool.

Damp environment? Arizona?! In the winter with the heat exchanger
running!! From the way a slice of bread, a damp paper towel, or anything
goes dry in no time, doubt you'd claim our home as damp. If you leave
crackers out they crisp up, home is not damp at all.

I'm just angry that a product called 'stainless steel' is rusting so fast!
wipe a dry paper towel across the surface and you get a dingy brown sheen
to the towel.

Wax? hmmmm haven't tried something like that. But the whole point of
having SS appliances is that the surface can be cleaned, covering with
wax, negates that.