Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stainless steel surface boxes?

I've put in a load of matt stainless steel sockets in my house - I think
they are these ones http://tinyurl.com/g2nzc.

Problem is, some of my sockets are mounted in white plastic surface boxes
because some of the walls are wooden.

I want to replace these with satin stainless steel boxes. Does anyone know
where I might be able to find these? I've drawn a blank.

Cheers,
Piers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Piers Finlayson wrote:
I've put in a load of matt stainless steel sockets in my house - I
think they are these ones http://tinyurl.com/g2nzc.

Problem is, some of my sockets are mounted in white plastic surface
boxes because some of the walls are wooden.

I want to replace these with satin stainless steel boxes. Does
anyone know where I might be able to find these? I've drawn a blank.

Cheers,
Piers

Heh!

The boxes will be out of sight why cant you just use the normal galvanised
type?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
k...
Piers Finlayson wrote:
I've put in a load of matt stainless steel sockets in my house - I
think they are these ones http://tinyurl.com/g2nzc.

Problem is, some of my sockets are mounted in white plastic surface
boxes because some of the walls are wooden.

I want to replace these with satin stainless steel boxes. Does
anyone know where I might be able to find these? I've drawn a blank.

Cheers,
Piers

Heh!

The boxes will be out of sight why cant you just use the normal galvanised
type?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

No, they boxes are not out of site, cos they're mounted directly onto the
wood itself. Using boxes like these http://tinyurl.com/s272w.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:31:48 +0100, Piers Finlayson wrote:

Problem is, some of my sockets are mounted in white plastic surface boxes
because some of the walls are wooden.

Is there no way to recess them? I've recessed plain galvanised boxes into
wood before, if there is no back you can customise by drilling and
screwing through the sides.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Piers Finlayson wrote:
I've put in a load of matt stainless steel sockets in my house - I
think they are these ones http://tinyurl.com/g2nzc.

Problem is, some of my sockets are mounted in white plastic surface
boxes because some of the walls are wooden.

I want to replace these with satin stainless steel boxes. Does
anyone know where I might be able to find these? I've drawn a
blank.

Cheers,
Piers

Heh!

The boxes will be out of sight why cant you just use the normal
galvanised type?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

No, they boxes are not out of site, cos they're mounted directly onto
the wood itself. Using boxes like these http://tinyurl.com/s272w.

The only ones I know of come with socket and box.

Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" writes:
Piers Finlayson wrote:
Piers Finlayson wrote:
I've put in a load of matt stainless steel sockets in my house - I
think they are these ones http://tinyurl.com/g2nzc.

Problem is, some of my sockets are mounted in white plastic surface
boxes because some of the walls are wooden.

I want to replace these with satin stainless steel boxes. Does
anyone know where I might be able to find these? I've drawn a
blank.

No, they boxes are not out of site, cos they're mounted directly onto
the wood itself. Using boxes like these http://tinyurl.com/s272w.

The only ones I know of come with socket and box.

Yes, the type the OP points at are low profile ones
intended only for flush mounting. Surface mount ones
have a different shaped faceplate. You will likely
find they overhang a metalic surface box.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Piers Finlayson
writes

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
Piers Finlayson wrote:
I've put in a load of matt stainless steel sockets in my house - I
think they are these ones http://tinyurl.com/g2nzc.

Problem is, some of my sockets are mounted in white plastic surface
boxes because some of the walls are wooden.

I want to replace these with satin stainless steel boxes. Does
anyone know where I might be able to find these? I've drawn a blank.

Cheers,
Piers

Heh!

The boxes will be out of sight why cant you just use the normal galvanised
type?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

No, they boxes are not out of site, cos they're mounted directly onto the
wood itself. Using boxes like these http://tinyurl.com/s272w.

Is it a hollow wall? I'm confused (aren't I always?) by the "wooden
wall" description. If the wall is hollow you could probably use a dry
lining box. These allow you to retrofit a flush box into a hollow wall.
You can then add whatever face plate you wish.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...=16255&id=3696
0

Hth
Someone
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"somebody" wrote in message
In message , Piers Finlayson
writes

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
.uk...
Piers Finlayson wrote:
[...]

Nah, it's a solid wood wall. Built out of beams and panels.

(My house is a semi - the full house was split down the middle many, many
years ago, probably before I was born. As part of adding the staircase to
my half a two storey wooden wall was fitted.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nah, it's a solid wood wall. Built out of beams and panels.

Surely there is some void behind the wood? Are you just not allowed to cut
in because of party wall fire/noise considerations?

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Piers Finlayson wrote:
I've put in a load of matt stainless steel sockets in my house - I
think they are these ones http://tinyurl.com/g2nzc.

Problem is, some of my sockets are mounted in white plastic surface
boxes because some of the walls are wooden.

I want to replace these with satin stainless steel boxes. Does
anyone know where I might be able to find these? I've drawn a
blank.

Cheers,
Piers

Heh!

The boxes will be out of sight why cant you just use the normal
galvanised type?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

No, they boxes are not out of site, cos they're mounted directly onto
the wood itself. Using boxes like these http://tinyurl.com/s272w.

You could mount the galvanised type and make wooden square frames to fit
over the box the same diameter as the socket.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Piers Finlayson" wrote in message
I've put in a load of matt stainless steel sockets in my house - I think
they are these ones http://tinyurl.com/g2nzc.

Problem is, some of my sockets are mounted in white plastic surface boxes
because some of the walls are wooden.

I want to replace these with satin stainless steel boxes. Does anyone
know where I might be able to find these? I've drawn a blank.

I guess the closest might be the grey metal clad boxes but you have to buy
the sockets as well,

eg:

http://www.gwsupplies.co.uk/electric....info.php?2091

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Piers Finlayson wrote:
I've put in a load of matt stainless steel sockets in my house - I think
they are these ones http://tinyurl.com/g2nzc.

Problem is, some of my sockets are mounted in white plastic surface
boxes because some of the walls are wooden.

I want to replace these with satin stainless steel boxes. Does anyone
know where I might be able to find these? I've drawn a blank.

Surface mount boxes that take 'flush' sockets are only available in
plastic, IIRC. Proper surface mount sockets - they have slightly smaller
outside dimensions with rounded corners and a lip that fits over the box -
have steel boxes, but only painted in an approximate match to the socket
if polished metal. And not all ranges do matching flush and surface
sockets. As regards a stainless steel box - never seen them. Hostile
environments where they'd be a good idea wouldn't be suitable for ordinary
sockets anyway.

--
*I believe five out of four people have trouble with fractions. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.