Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's a great way to clean surface of new stainless steel fridge- keeps rusting!

On Monday, January 6, 2014 3:34:24 PM UTC-5, philo* wrote:
On 01/06/2014 01:47 PM, NotMe wrote:

Stainless steel does not rust. If your stuff is rusting, you were cheated.

Some SS does depends on the make up on the various metals used in the

formation

If it had less than 12% chromium I suppose it could rust but I believe

it would be illegal to market it as stainless steel.

It could be a defective batch.

I have a rather inexpensive stainless steel sink and I am quite

negligent when it comes to cleaning it... in the 25 years I've had it

there has never been one iota of rust on it.

I agree. There are fridges being sold today that have a stainless steel
"look" via some coating process, but are not really stainless steel.
They do actually describe it in the product specs, but you have to read
it carefully.

And if it's rusting, I don't think it's a "cleaning" issue. I guess
you could coat it with some wax type of product, which might help.
But if you have a surface that can rust, I don't see how what you clean
it with is going to make a difference, unless it leaves some kind of
protective coating behind.

I'd suggest first checking the product specs and finding out what it
actually says it's made of. Then if he can't find the product the
manufacturer recommends, take a look at what other manufacturers of
similar fridges recommend.