Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The government ruined the gas can...

On Wed, 15 May 2013 04:53:11 +0000 (UTC), Danny D
wrote:

On Tue, 14 May 2013 14:39:31 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

Someone is missing the beauty of the master plan.
When coming out with a few model, ALWAYS make sure
that it's less than optimal.

Well, it worked for seatbelts, didn't it?

In the beginning, they didn't retract, and had those clunky
belt buckles, and didn't allow you to adjust position.

Then they got comfortable.

Then they got shoulder harnesses. Then they got uncomfortable again.

I don't remember (I was a kid) how long it took between
clunky seatbelts and decent ones?

Four-point harnesses are still illegal. Go figure.

It might take *that* long for the gas can to become usable
again.

Or not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D wrote:
On Tue, 14 May 2013 10:56:15 -0700, Harry K wrote:

"new" and "old" caps do not interchange, thread size
changed so that option is out.

Shhhh. Here's my *secret* plan.

We know, from the Plastics Group of Willowbrook, Illinois, that *nobody*
bought the spout molds from the now defunct Blitz USA of Miami Oklahoma;
but, at the same time, we are aware that Hopkins Manufacturing Corp. of
Emporia, Kansas paid $14.6 million for everything *but* the gas can molds.

That means, if we're lucky, that the Hopkins Manufacturing *water* jugs
might use the *same cap* as the Blitz USA gasoline cans!

To find out if that's true, I ordered a set of water jug caps from
Hopkins Manufacturing today. Cross your fingers and maybe they'll fit!

The water jugs seem pretty much the same material. I bought it at kmart,
but a lot cheaper than gas or kero. I put kero in mine. I think it's blue.
6 gal.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
m...

"nestork" wrote in message

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the problem, but it seems to me that a hole
drilled into the plastic gas can near where the former vent was located
and plugged with a 1/4 inch long #8 sheet metal screw would solve the
problem.

There was a vid on utube about drilling a hole where the old vent plug
used to be and using a tire valve that has the plunger removed. You use
the cap on the tire valve to seal off the gas and remove it when you want
to vent the can to pour the gas out.

I have 3 old style plastic gas cans with out the vent. I can live with
that. The problem for me is a new two gallon can I have for the 2 cycle
stuff. That has some kind of nospill spout that I spill out about as much
as I use. It may work beter if I had a big gas tank on the weedeater, but
that small fil hole on the weedeater tank just does not mate with the gas
can.

I think the ones comming up with the ideas do not have to deal with the
problem. Just how many congressmen mow their yard ?

Does anyone sell replacement old style vent caps ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

MOst of the problem lies with the spouts. The first ones needed 3
hands to operate. I havn't tried one of the new ones yet. I have
head of a brand "No Spill" that supposedly works reasonably well.

I had a 1gal can that isn't too bad but I lost the plastic "hose" in
the move last year. I just bought a replacement can from HD. It
looks like I'll be spilling half the gas filling my weed whacker.
There is no way to completely plug the thing, either. The "valve" is
a butterfly in the neck that doesn't close completely and the end
cover doesn't double as a tank seal. Like everything Congress does,
it screwed this one up *badly*. Dumb, really dumb.

It appears that people are not using a combination of big and small tanks
for the job
Big (5 gal) for storage
Med (2-3 gal) for emergency resupply of cars\
Filled at gas station
Small (1 gal) for gas-oil premix.
Filled at home with a funnel from the big ones.
I also have a few metal premix bottles that I refill

Hardly have any spillage

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
On 5/10/2013 3:14 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Frank:
I just had to buy one of these new POS cans for the lawn mower.
The old one got the seal pinched and torn and leaked. I've never
spilled more gas since these new cans were mandated.

Don't feel like The Lone Ranger.

Mine worked, barely, when new. After a few months, the mechanism
started jamming and I was spilling at least 20 times more gas than I was
before this mess was foisted on me.

Now I'm shopping for a workaround that works.

In the meanwhile, I've resorted to poly milk bottles with an aftermarket
twist-to-close spigot that works pretty well.

If I could find 5-gallon containers that took that spigot, I'd be home
free.

Don't use the polyethylene milk bottles. The plastic falls apart after
long exposure to light and even if it didn't it is too thin to be safe.

I regretted throwing away an empty deck stain can. I could have used it
for the limited amount of two cycle gas I use.

Keep your eyes peeled for the metal 1-2 quart premix bottles
They are sturdy, close well and are easily refilled

I also bought a 12-pack of one shot premix oil
I refill them from a gallon of premix oil
Automatic measurement of oil

Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per diy savant:
Right. If not for Ross Perot, we would not have had Clinton.

Slick Willy no doubt had his flaws but he did legalize blowjobs.

He also left behind a budget surplus.

Funny how some people can't help remaining ignorant
No Clinton did NOT "leave behind a budget surplus"
All he had was creative accounting to fool the ignorati.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per Harry K:

Well sure, he was too busy at his desk to spend money.

I heard Monica has written a new book in which she trots out the most
explicit details. Sounded to me like he was a little kinky.

But still.... Clinton *did* leave a budget surplus.

Reasonable people can argue how and why... but the surplus is a fact of
history - as are the ensuing deficits.

Only if you are clueless about accounting and accounting practices

Posted to alt.home.repair

One fire department near me bought a couple
5 gal metal cans of "ethanol free" gasoline. For
the small engines they use in the trade. I told
them of the couple gas stations nearby that
had ethanol free gas, but they didn't seem to
be interested. I'm guessing the gas from the
lawn mower shop in 5 gal tins was more pricey.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Attila Iskander" wrote in message ...

Keep your eyes peeled for the metal 1-2 quart premix bottles
They are sturdy, close well and are easily refilled

I also bought a 12-pack of one shot premix oil
I refill them from a gallon of premix oil
Automatic measurement of oil

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 May 2013 09:57:33 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

One fire department near me bought a couple
5 gal metal cans of "ethanol free" gasoline. For
the small engines they use in the trade. I told
them of the couple gas stations nearby that
had ethanol free gas, but they didn't seem to
be interested. I'm guessing the gas from the
lawn mower shop in 5 gal tins was more pricey.

The explanation is easy. OPM.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Attila Iskander:
Keep your eyes peeled for the metal 1-2 quart premix bottles
They are sturdy, close well and are easily refilled

This may be an indication that I have more money than common sense, but
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on one of these:
http://tinyurl.com/c4qffmy and two more if it works out.
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Attila Iskander:
Reasonable people can argue how and why... but the surplus is a fact of
history - as are the ensuing deficits.

Only if you are clueless about accounting...

Guilty as charged.

But I would assume that the same accounting practices were in use by
both preceding and subsequent administrations.... so, in a relative
sense, it would seem to hold up.

Also, he seems to have the guts to cut back on Medicare as part of the
balancing process.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 May 2013 13:43:19 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Attila Iskander:
Reasonable people can argue how and why... but the surplus is a fact of
history - as are the ensuing deficits.

Only if you are clueless about accounting...

Guilty as charged.

But I would assume that the same accounting practices were in use by
both preceding and subsequent administrations.... so, in a relative
sense, it would seem to hold up.

Moral relativism shows its ugly head, once again.

Also, he seems to have the guts to cut back on Medicare as part of the
balancing process.

He doesn't care about seniors. They didn't vote for him.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing you're right. This department also appears to suffer from two foot syndrome. Often seen in pleasure boat owners.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
wrote in message ...

be interested. I'm guessing the gas from the
lawn mower shop in 5 gal tins was more pricey.

The explanation is easy. OPM.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 May 2013 13:40:29 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Attila Iskander:
Keep your eyes peeled for the metal 1-2 quart premix bottles
They are sturdy, close well and are easily refilled

This may be an indication that I have more money than common sense, but
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on one of these:
http://tinyurl.com/c4qffmy and two more if it works out.

Looks to me from the Youtube vids that the new plastic jugs can easily
be made to work well.
This is a good one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lcnwdIYEfI
But I've heard Blitz is gone, so don't know what's up with other jugs.
Saw other Youtube vids and it don't doesn't look like rocket science
to get a can working well. Just an added PITA.
Steel NATO cans might be rusty inside and out, and there's no reason
to think they won't leak when pouring. I've seen a lot of metal cans
that leaked where the nozzle is connected to the can. Gasketing has
to be right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Vic Smith:
Steel NATO cans might be rusty inside and out,

In fact, I went off of steel cans after one (that looked perfect on the
outside) rusted through over the winter and vented it's contents to the
floor of my shed/paint locker.

But from what I can read about the NATO cans - the real ones, at least -
they are coated inside as well as outside.

I guess the critical call is whether they're coated on the inside with
the same stuff as the original Jerry cans were.
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/17/13 07:37 pm, Vic Smith wrote:
On Fri, 17 May 2013 13:40:29 -0400,
wrote:

Per Attila Iskander:
[...]

I have several of the Blitz ventless gas cans, and they work fine.

As for his mods,:

1. The cans are no longer childproof.

2. I cannot help wondering how well the rubber part of the tire valves
he used will stand up to gasoline.

3. He complains about having to turn the can vertical to get the last
drop of gas out, but ISTR that the th4e same was true for the old "Jerry
cans."

BTW, I don't know whether the video a home garage or a commercial
workshop, but I wonder what his insurance company thinks about the
amount of gas he is storing there.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 May 2013 20:50:13 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

1. The cans are no longer childproof.

No longer "old weak hand-proof" either. But that does look like an
unnecessary mod.

2. I cannot help wondering how well the rubber part of the tire valves
he used will stand up to gasoline.

Good point there. I have no idea. You can get this or equivalent,
drill a hole, and use a gasoline-proof epoxy to cement it in.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...oductId=748910
Really though, if I wanted a vent I'd just drill a hole and put a
screw in it.

3. He complains about having to turn the can vertical to get the last
drop of gas out, but ISTR that the th4e same was true for the old "Jerry
cans."

Yep.

BTW, I don't know whether the video a home garage or a commercial
workshop, but I wonder what his insurance company thinks about the
amount of gas he is storing there.

Perce

Survivalists seem to be "self-insured."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/13 7:37 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
Looks to me from the Youtube vids that the new plastic jugs can easily
be made to work well.
This is a good one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lcnwdIYEfI

That looked like a good conversion in the video.

The only problem is that Blitz is out of business, and I
haven't seen anyone selling a gas can with that type of
spout any longer.

So unless you can find a discontinued Blitz can with that
spout assembly, the video is useless for currently-sold cans...

Unrelated:
I have an old 2.5 gallon can with a rounded top, vent
opening, and rubber hose pour spout. The gasket inside the
spout has shrunk over the years, so the spout would leak
when pouring.

I found an EZ-pour spout ($10 at Tractor Supply) to be a
perfect replacement. If the kit designed for "gas" (black
spout) isn't sold in your state, the kit for H20 works just
as well.