Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default The government ruined the gas can...

On 05/17/13 07:37 pm, Vic Smith wrote:
On Fri, 17 May 2013 13:40:29 -0400,
wrote:

Per Attila Iskander:
Keep your eyes peeled for the metal 1-2 quart premix bottles
They are sturdy, close well and are easily refilled

This may be an indication that I have more money than common sense, but
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on one of these:
http://tinyurl.com/c4qffmy and two more if it works out.

Looks to me from the Youtube vids that the new plastic jugs can easily
be made to work well.
This is a good one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lcnwdIYEfI
But I've heard Blitz is gone, so don't know what's up with other jugs.
Saw other Youtube vids and it don't doesn't look like rocket science
to get a can working well. Just an added PITA.
Steel NATO cans might be rusty inside and out, and there's no reason
to think they won't leak when pouring. I've seen a lot of metal cans
that leaked where the nozzle is connected to the can. Gasketing has
to be right.

I have several of the Blitz ventless gas cans, and they work fine.

As for his mods,:

1. The cans are no longer childproof.

2. I cannot help wondering how well the rubber part of the tire valves
he used will stand up to gasoline.

3. He complains about having to turn the can vertical to get the last
drop of gas out, but ISTR that the th4e same was true for the old "Jerry
cans."

BTW, I don't know whether the video a home garage or a commercial
workshop, but I wonder what his insurance company thinks about the
amount of gas he is storing there.

Perce