Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Default Is there a 'magic' solution for dissolving labels on glassware?

On Fri, 10 May 2013 10:33:03 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
wrote:

In article ,
Danny D wrote:

Just curious, as my current 'magic solution' is water - but maybe
there is a better medium for dissolving glued paper labels on
glass bottles for kitchen reuse?

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/.../12890207.jpeg

My current technique:
a. Soak for a day or two in water
b. Scrape with a kitchen fork
c. Repeat until the label is gone

I've heard of using peanut butter. I use Goof-Off.

I've not had any problem removing labels from glass, I use a safety
razor to scrape off lables same as the stickers from windshields....
it's plastics and other soft items that makes removing labels more
difficult... I especially find those stickers on produce difficult.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Thursday, May 9, 2013 11:32:01 AM UTC-6, Danny D wrote:
Just curious, as my current 'magic solution' is water - but maybe

there is a better medium for dissolving glued paper labels on

glass bottles for kitchen reuse?

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/.../12890207.jpeg

My current technique:

a. Soak for a day or two in water

b. Scrape with a kitchen fork

c. Repeat until the label is gone

Why not use your favorite solvent?...MURIATIC ACID.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On 05/10/2013 11:33 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
Danny D wrote:

Just curious, as my current 'magic solution' is water - but maybe
there is a better medium for dissolving glued paper labels on
glass bottles for kitchen reuse?

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/.../12890207.jpeg

My current technique:
a. Soak for a day or two in water
b. Scrape with a kitchen fork
c. Repeat until the label is gone

I've heard of using peanut butter. I use Goof-Off.

If warm water doesn't take them off, a little vegetable oil may dissolve
the residue.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Danny D wrote:

Goo Gone.

Googling some more, it looks like it's the same as
mineral spirits:

It's a combination of solvents, plus it's heavily scented. If you don't need a
100% removal rate and you don't care about the nasty smell, then buy mineral
spirits and save yourself 45 cents.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 May 2013 13:20:38 -0400, George M. Middius
wrote:

Danny D wrote:

Goo Gone.

Googling some more, it looks like it's the same as
mineral spirits:

It's a combination of solvents, plus it's heavily scented. If you don't need a
100% removal rate and you don't care about the nasty smell, then buy mineral
spirits and save yourself 45 cents.

BSR kit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=201pgTaEseQ

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 May 2013 09:15:11 -0700, Roy wrote:

Why not use your favorite solvent?...MURIATIC ACID.

Funny you should mention pool acid ...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 May 2013 12:54:55 -0400, Nate Nagel wrote:

If warm water doesn't take them off, a little vegetable oil
may dissolve the residue.

The odd thing is that the olive oil fared no better
than did water or alcohol, in my preliminary tests
over the past 24 hours:

The diluted alcohol fared about the same as the oil:
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/12898662.jpg

And the water was about the same as oil & alcohol we

Only the dish detergent seemed measurably better:

While all four methods easily remove the paper label,
all four appear to need additional suggested solvents or
petroleum distallates in order to remove the gummy residue
coating the entire area under the paper label.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 May 2013 13:20:38 -0400, George M. Middius wrote:

It's a combination of solvents, plus it's heavily scented. If you don't
need a 100% removal rate and you don't care about the nasty smell, then
buy mineral spirits and save yourself 45 cents.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm a firm believer in figuring out what a chemical is, and then
just buying it in bulk.

For example, my female kids love that straight acetone from
my garage works just fine when they run out of nail polish
remover.

And, on of my male kids uses dish detergent instead of shampoo
for his short hair, since he learned that they're practically
the same thing (and all my kids have to buy their own personal
hygiene products since they fight over them all the time).

I'm going to try the following solvents, simply because they
were what are in my garage at the moment:

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 May 2013 10:48:42 -0700, Oren wrote:

BSR kit

BS removal kit ... even works on a Prius!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 May 2013 05:39:10 -0700, TimR wrote:

When that fails, carb cleaner has always worked

When they dry out, that's what I'll try ...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On 5/10/2013 9:19 AM, Danny D wrote:

Thanks for the advice.

I'm a firm believer in figuring out what a chemical is, and then
just buying it in bulk.

For example, my female kids love that straight acetone from
my garage works just fine when they run out of nail polish
remover.

And, on of my male kids uses dish detergent instead of shampoo
for his short hair, since he learned that they're practically
the same thing (and all my kids have to buy their own personal
hygiene products since they fight over them all the time).

I'm going to try the following solvents, simply because they
were what are in my garage at the moment:

Acetone would probably work on glass and ceramic - not plastic. I'd use
MEK because it's more aggressive than acetone and it's what I have on
hand. You have to be careful with the stuff cause it can be absorbed
through the skin. I only use a little at a time.

I've used dish detergent to wash my hair. It worked great but it would
give me tremendous dandruff when I used it 15 years ago. I've used it
recently and it worked fine without the dandruff problem. These days,
however, I just use a bar of soap.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 May 2013 17:32:01 +0000, Danny D wrote:

UPDATE:

Nothing really worked better than dish detergent and water
for getting the *paper* part of the labels off the plastic
Costco vitamin jars... but the gummy glue residue was left:

MAF cleaner dried too quickly, leaving a sticky residue:

Brake cleaner had similar results to the MAF cleaner:

My wife noticed the smell with the engine degreaser:

The alcohol was ineffective at reducing the gummy glue:

The paint thinner turned the glue into a milky residue:

Likewise with the better-smelling WD-40:

Acetone simply made the plastic itself sticky:

And TSP didn't do much more than the dish detergent did:

Within margins of error, I'd have to tentatively conclude that
the winner would be whatever smells best to you of these 3:

For example, here's a before-and-after glue-removal comparison:

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 May 2013 17:32:01 +0000, Danny D wrote:

Just curious, as my current 'magic solution' is water - but maybe there
is a better medium for dissolving glued paper labels on glass and
plastic bottles for kitchen reuse?

LESSONS LEARNED:

In summary, the lesson learned is that the paper labels easily
fell off the glass bottles after an overnight soak in water and
dish detergent.

However, on the plastic vitamin bottles, the paper labels came
off only with an overnight soak, where the mix of dish detergent
was necessary, and, even so, required a bit of fingernail scrubbing.

The real problem was the pervasive gummy glue, which, only the
lower volatility petroleum distillates did a good job on (because
the higher-volatility petroleum distillates evaporated too soon).

BTW, the green one at the right was discolored by the acetone;
so of all the fluids chosen, acetone is the most deprecated.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 May 2013 19:21:38 +0000 (UTC), Danny D
wrote:

On Fri, 10 May 2013 10:48:42 -0700, Oren wrote:

BSR kit

BS removal kit ... even works on a Prius!

Is that what the driver's door is called?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Try Goo Gone; it is made to take sticky labels off things. Squirt
some on, wait five minutes, and it should rub off with a paper towel.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

I Have Found The Answer To Just About Anything On
weezer919.com ...... http://weezer919.com/

Today's May 10, 2013 Issue Has A Punk Rock
Theme .............................

With A Special Performance Of "Anarchy In The U.K." By The Sex
Pistols ..........................

Lots Of Cool Images You Can Download And
Share .............................

Click On The Link Above ...........................

Read All Six Website Pages ...........................

Then Email The Link To Your Friends So They Can Be
Entertained ............................

It Is Guaranteed To Bring A Smile To Your Face Even In Your Darkest
Hour .................................................. .....

The Website Is Safe ..............................

I Constructed It
Myself ...............................

Go Dive Into The Deep End Right
Now ............................................
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

Why not use your favorite solvent?...MURIATIC ACID.
Funny you should mention pool acid ...

Just to report back on the hydrochloric acid, it didn't dissolve
the paper label any better than did the dish detergent solution.

But I really like how well the gasoline almost instantly removes
the gummy glue residue off the plastic bottles:

The results are clear plastic bottles with no labels or glue:
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

ROUND 2:

My new favorite method of removing the labels and glue from
Costco gummy vitamin plastic jars is this process:

a) Soak in a soapy solution of dish detergent (24 hours)
b) Scrape off the paper label with my fingernails
c) Douse in gasoline for a minute or two
d) Wash in laundry detergent or tri-sodium phosphate

Since the gasoline necessitates being outside, here'
my starting point today:

Here's what will be soaking overnight:

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Sun, 12 May 2013 04:58:58 +0000, PeterD wrote:

Cooking oil will help. Don't actually cook the glass,tho.

Personally, I gave up on the oil idea as I didn't find the
vegetable oil anywhere nearly as effective as the petroleum
distillates (gasoline was the best) in instantly dissolving
the gummy deposits on the plastic gummy vitamin jars.

Here's my latest experiment, concluded this morning:

These are my steps for those plastic vitamin bottle labels:
1. Soak 24 hours in soapy water
2. Scrape paper labels off
3. Rinse in gasoline solvent
4. Dip in the soapy water
5. Rinse with garden hose
6. Air dry in the sun

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Sun, 12 May 2013 16:44:24 +0000 (UTC), Danny D
wrote:

I gave up on the oil idea as I didn't find the
vegetable oil anywhere nearly as effective as the petroleum
distillates (gasoline was the best) in instantly dissolving
the gummy deposits on the plastic gummy vitamin jars.

Rub the area with Vaseline, another petroleum product.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Danny D wrote:

Cooking oil will help. Don't actually cook the glass,tho.

Personally, I gave up on the oil idea as I didn't find the
vegetable oil anywhere nearly as effective as the petroleum
distillates (gasoline was the best) in instantly dissolving
the gummy deposits on the plastic gummy vitamin jars.

Try Goo Gone or Goof Off or similar product made especially for
dissolving gummy things.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Sun, 12 May 2013 20:29:07 +0000, Me wrote:

Chemicals ! vapors galore.
Better wash the glassware a lot to remove the stench.

True. But outside, I don't smell anything.
Plus, I rinsed them off pretty well.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Sun, 12 May 2013 21:42:24 +0000, John Weiss wrote:

Try Goo Gone or Goof Off or similar product made especially
for dissolving gummy things.

We looked up the main ingredient in the Goo dissolvers; they
appear to be 95% petroleum distillates.

We tested a few petroleum distillates, such as carb cleaner,
MAF cleaner, paint thinner, engine degreaser, etc., but what
worked fastest and easiest was plain old California gasoline.

In fact, I tried a new technique today, which was to put the
plastic jars inside a mixed-nuts container from Costco, and
shook it for about 10 seconds; then washed it off.

Worked like a charm!

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Sun, 12 May 2013 13:20:16 -0700, Oren wrote:

Rub the area with Vaseline, another petroleum product.

I think I'm finally out of gummi vitamin bottles!

But the kids are almost finished with the next one ...

So it will get the Vaseline treatment to see how well that fares
in comparison to the gasoline.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 9, 2013 1:32:01 PM UTC-4, Danny D wrote:
Just curious, as my current 'magic solution' is water - but maybe
there is a better medium for dissolving glued paper labels on
glass bottles for kitchen reuse?

Why is everything a crisis with you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 May 2013 13:11:43 -0700, dennisgauge wrote:

Why is everything a crisis with you?

You mistake curiosity and enlightenment for a 'crisis'?

I could just as innocently ask why you aren't interested
in running some experiments yourself and furthering
your collective knowledge on a variety of things.

There's nothing wrong with asking, and learning from
the responses - and - most importantly - receiving the
knowledge learned from years of experience from those
who helpfully populate this a.h.r venue.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Danny D wrote:
-snip-

She inquired as to whether I was "up to something" again in
"her" kitchen! Little did she know that prior, her sink had:

Uh, Danny-- You don't need help with cleaning labels, trimming
bushes or building pool poles.

this is the most valuable advice you'll ever get on Usenet-
"Quit using the kitchen sink [that your wife views as *hers*] for
science experiments!"

Put one of these in the basement or garage--
http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-6762/Detail

A $30 slop sink can save your marriage-- or your life!

Plumbing it will make it better-- but a bucket or two will make it
functional.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Tue, 14 May 2013 07:01:47 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

A $30 slop sink can save your marriage-- or your life!

Well, there *is* that type of slop sink, in "her" laundry room!

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On 05/12/2013 07:05 PM, Danny D wrote:

On Sun, 12 May 2013 21:42:24 +0000, John Weiss wrote:

Try Goo Gone or Goof Off or similar product made especially
for dissolving gummy things.

We looked up the main ingredient in the Goo dissolvers; they
appear to be 95% petroleum distillates.

We tested a few petroleum distillates, such as carb cleaner,
MAF cleaner, paint thinner, engine degreaser, etc., but what
worked fastest and easiest was plain old California gasoline.

In fact, I tried a new technique today, which was to put the
plastic jars inside a mixed-nuts container from Costco, and
shook it for about 10 seconds; then washed it off.

Worked like a charm!

As long as there's a remnant of the glue the jar remains sticky and
unusable, and that sure looks like glue on the mixed-nuts container.
There's a limit to how much effort and chemical I'm willing to expend
just to remove a label.

--
Cheers, Bev
Salesmen welcome -- dog food is expensive
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Tue, 14 May 2013 19:19:19 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

There's a limit to how much effort and chemical I'm willing
to expend just to remove a label.

Understood.

That's why I was looking for the easiest "magic" solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Sun, 12 May 2013 13:20:16 -0700, Oren wrote:

Rub the area with Vaseline, another petroleum product.

Yeah, but I have so much extra gasoline lying around than vaseline!

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On 05/14/2013 10:45 PM, Danny D wrote:

On Sun, 12 May 2013 13:20:16 -0700, Oren wrote:

Rub the area with Vaseline, another petroleum product.

Yeah, but I have so much extra gasoline lying around than vaseline!

I was at the 99-Cents-Only Store this morning and picked up a 2-ounce
bottle of Goo Gone. Amazingly enough, it worked really well on one of
the Costco plastic candy/nut/whatever containers. Spread a little bit
over the sticky with your fingers, look for a knife to use to scrape it
off, find out that it doesn't scrape, grab paper towel, wipe vigorously
and VOILA! Washed it with liquid detergent. Bravo. I didn't expect it
to work (Shoe Goo is worthless), but it really did.

I also bought one of those Topsy Turvy things for growing tomatoes
upside down ("As seen on TV"). I think they were $10 or so originally.
I have some MiracleGro dirt and some 4" cherry tomato plants so I'll
give it a try. Again, not much hope -- why would they be available at
the 99-Cent Store if they worked?

OTOH, there's the Goo Gone...

--
Cheers, Bev
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On 5/9/2013 12:32 PM, Danny D wrote:
Just curious, as my current 'magic solution' is water - but maybe
there is a better medium for dissolving glued paper labels on
glass bottles for kitchen reuse?

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/.../12890207.jpeg

My current technique:
a. Soak for a day or two in water
b. Scrape with a kitchen fork
c. Repeat until the label is gone

I'm surprised nobody mentioned WD-40. ^_^

TDD

Ya just HAD to do it! Geez...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

In alt.home.repair Danny D wrote:
Just curious, as my current 'magic solution' is water - but maybe
there is a better medium for dissolving glued paper labels on
glass bottles for kitchen reuse?

Has anyone mentioned baking soda yet? Home brewers use it to lift labels
off of beer bottles.

--
Jack Myers / Westminster, California, USA

perhaps there is a certain element of the lumpen literati that is so dogmatically atheist and materialist and Earth-bound that it finds the grandeur of space and the myriad mysteries of cosmic intelligence anathema
--Stanley Kubric

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 May 2013 15:02:42 -0700, Jack Myers wrote:

Has anyone mentioned baking soda yet? Home brewers use it to lift labels
off of beer bottles.

I'll try the baking soda for the next plastic vitamin bottle, as the glue
on them is the hardest yet (although the gasoline has no problem with
it).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TimR" wrote in message
Most of the time, soap and water is plenty.

When that doesn't work, I go to Goo-Gone.

When that fails, carb cleaner has always worked.

Vegetable Oil
After you have soaked off the paper part, use vegetable oil and work it
into the glue with a brush or scrub pad that won't scratch the glass

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

The kids used up another plastic gummy vitamins jar today:

But, this Costco vitamin jar was taller than the Costco
mixed-nuts jar that I had used before (still had gas):

So, used a taller Costco red-capped peanut jar, with the
result that the label came clean off:

The label peeled off like peeling the skin off an orange after
only a few minutes in the gasoline:

Unless there's some negative effect, I'd say gasoline is close
to a magic solution for removing stubborn labels from jars:
a) It's cheap
b) It's readily available
c) It works in seconds
d) It's easily washed off
e) It's so volatile, it doesn't even have to be washed off
f) It's not any more or less toxic than the recommended goo stuff

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Wed, 22 May 2013 20:45:41 +0000, ktos wrote:

Yes.

The answer turns out to be:

Q: Is there?
A: Yes.

Q: What?
A: Petroleum distillates.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Danny D wrote:

They all say gasoline is not all that dangerous, even taken internally!

In fact, even if you drank the stuff straight out of the gas can, they
all say the major danger is aspiration into your lungs with pneumonia
being the largest danger from drinking the stuff.

You first, dumbass. You drink a glass of gasoline, I seriously doubt you'll
have to worry about getting pneumonia.

G.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Yes...