Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Danny D Danny D is offline

Default Is there a 'magic' solution for dissolving labels on glassware?

On Sun, 12 May 2013 04:58:58 +0000, PeterD wrote:

Cooking oil will help. Don't actually cook the glass,tho.

Personally, I gave up on the oil idea as I didn't find the
vegetable oil anywhere nearly as effective as the petroleum
distillates (gasoline was the best) in instantly dissolving
the gummy deposits on the plastic gummy vitamin jars.

Here's my latest experiment, concluded this morning:

These are my steps for those plastic vitamin bottle labels:
1. Soak 24 hours in soapy water
2. Scrape paper labels off
3. Rinse in gasoline solvent
4. Dip in the soapy water