Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_2_] The Real Bev[_2_] is offline

Default Is there a 'magic' solution for dissolving labels on glassware?

On 05/12/2013 07:05 PM, Danny D wrote:

On Sun, 12 May 2013 21:42:24 +0000, John Weiss wrote:

Try Goo Gone or Goof Off or similar product made especially
for dissolving gummy things.

We looked up the main ingredient in the Goo dissolvers; they
appear to be 95% petroleum distillates.

We tested a few petroleum distillates, such as carb cleaner,
MAF cleaner, paint thinner, engine degreaser, etc., but what
worked fastest and easiest was plain old California gasoline.

In fact, I tried a new technique today, which was to put the
plastic jars inside a mixed-nuts container from Costco, and
shook it for about 10 seconds; then washed it off.

Worked like a charm!

As long as there's a remnant of the glue the jar remains sticky and
unusable, and that sure looks like glue on the mixed-nuts container.
There's a limit to how much effort and chemical I'm willing to expend
just to remove a label.

--
Cheers, Bev
Salesmen welcome -- dog food is expensive