Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repairing glassware

I suppose I should have put a (sic) after "repairing" as reinstatement
isn't really the objective here; I'm merely looking for a cosmetic repair
that is sufficiently durable.
A coloured cylindrical glass vase (that used to belong to my wife's mother,
hence the importance attached to it) has broken cleanly about halfway up,
so that there are two pieces - a "cup" and a cylinder - that fit perfectly
together.
The one repair attempt so far was a failure, where the bond simply failed
to "take", and the glue residue could be peeled from the sheared surfaces.
The glue used has glassware on its list of materials for which it's
supposed to be ideal. Any suggestions for an adhesive that will do an
effective job?

--
Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Appelation Controlee" wrote in message

I suppose I should have put a (sic) after "repairing" as reinstatement
isn't really the objective here; I'm merely looking for a cosmetic repair
that is sufficiently durable.
A coloured cylindrical glass vase (that used to belong to my wife's
mother,
hence the importance attached to it) has broken cleanly about halfway up,
so that there are two pieces - a "cup" and a cylinder - that fit perfectly
together.
The one repair attempt so far was a failure, where the bond simply failed
to "take", and the glue residue could be peeled from the sheared surfaces.
The glue used has glassware on its list of materials for which it's
supposed to be ideal. Any suggestions for an adhesive that will do an
effective job?

http://www.repairproducts.co.uk/page39.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 06:14:37 +0100, Appelation Controlee wrote:

Any suggestions for an adhesive that will do an
effective job?

"Loctite Glass Bond". Clean surfaces, apply, adjust at your leisure, stand in UV
light such as sunlight. Scrape off execess carefully with a razor blade.

I have a similar repair that is near-invisible, and has been washed by hand
often...

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Thomas Prufer
writes
wrote:

Any suggestions for an adhesive that will do an
effective job?

"Loctite Glass Bond". Clean surfaces, apply, adjust at your leisure,
stand in UV
light such as sunlight. Scrape off execess carefully with a razor blade.

I've used that stuff to repair tacky 'crystal' figurines that got
damaged in a move.

I found that sunlight through double glazed windows lead to a very long
cure time, a PCB transparency exposure unit cured it in minutes, putting
the things outside also worked but only on a blue sky day. a fake
banknote checker lamp would probably also work.

I have a similar repair that is near-invisible, and has been washed by hand
often...

Fortunately the crystal figurines have long gone so I can't comment on
the longevity but it seemed to work well at the time.

Thomas Prufer

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Clint Sharp writes:
I found that sunlight through double glazed windows lead to a very long
cure time, a PCB transparency exposure unit cured it in minutes, putting
the things outside also worked but only on a blue sky day. a fake
banknote checker lamp would probably also work.

I have a 20,000K 250W metal halide lamp (often used to illuminate
corals and tropical fish tanks), which generates enough UV to
generate ozone, and that cured it very quickly.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 06:14:37 +0100, Appelation Controlee wrote:

I suppose I should have put a (sic) after "repairing" as reinstatement
isn't really the objective here; I'm merely looking for a cosmetic repair
that is sufficiently durable.
A coloured cylindrical glass vase (that used to belong to my wife's mother,
hence the importance attached to it) has broken cleanly about halfway up,
so that there are two pieces - a "cup" and a cylinder - that fit perfectly
together.
The one repair attempt so far was a failure, where the bond simply failed
to "take", and the glue residue could be peeled from the sheared surfaces.
The glue used has glassware on its list of materials for which it's
supposed to be ideal. Any suggestions for an adhesive that will do an
effective job?

Thanks to all for the help. :-)

Need help repairing TV [email protected] Electronics Repair 8 June 13th 06 08:14 AM
repairing an APC UPS Luke Siemaszko Electronics Repair 9 May 7th 05 07:01 AM
FRS repairing. user Electronics Repair 4 August 27th 04 02:06 AM
Repairing a CD RW Jose Capco Electronics Repair 1 August 13th 04 01:05 AM
Repairing a CD RW Jose Capco Electronics Repair 3 August 12th 04 05:34 PM