user

Default FRS repairing.

Hi,

I currently have of a few "broken" FRS's from Midland (G-227). The common
symtomps is noise during Rx mode, the noise reduces significantly when there
is another radio in Tx mode nearby, but the audio is too soft to hear... if
any.

Does anybody have any experience with this repair or any pointer to
web-site, forum dealing with repairing this kind of equipment.

Thanks so much,

L.

This may sound dumb - but the squelch, be it an internally set system (most
likely) or external... will not work right if the batteries are getting low.
Even if you've charged them (assuming rechargeable) they may be bad and/or
not getting full charge.. Weak batteries will allow the squelch to open up -
allowing "constant" noise to come through and the audio "could be" weak and
distorted. And yes, you'll still be able to squeak out "some" transmit which
may make you "think" they're working ok otherwise. Check them first, then go
from there. Given the cost of FRS radios and radio repair rates of any
reputable shop (mine included), these may be throw-aways. Most CB shops
charge no less than $25 and most 2 way shops are upwards of $50 or more.
Even if not, by the time you send it to one, you've got almost the cost of a
new pair involved. Definitely check the batteries as a cheap first choice.

L.

"user" wrote in message
Hi,

I currently have of a few "broken" FRS's from Midland (G-227). The common
symtomps is noise during Rx mode, the noise reduces significantly when

there
is another radio in Tx mode nearby, but the audio is too soft to hear...

if
any.

Does anybody have any experience with this repair or any pointer to
web-site, forum dealing with repairing this kind of equipment.

Thanks so much,

Tim Perry

io.net...

"user" wrote in message
Hi,

I currently have of a few "broken" FRS's from Midland (G-227). The

common
symtomps is noise during Rx mode, the noise reduces significantly when

there
is another radio in Tx mode nearby, but the audio is too soft to hear...

if
any.

Does anybody have any experience with this repair or any pointer to
web-site, forum dealing with repairing this kind of equipment.

Thanks so much,

i agree with with the guy above... plus, consider that there may be multiple
problems... like broken antennas AND bad microphone or TX audio. broken
antennas = low range bad TX audio = low or no audio heard in receiver.

user

Hi,

Thank for your response so far. I've checked the batteries (even use a
regulated power supply for correct voltage), and open up one to examine and
for look for other obvious problems, but found none.

I saw a few potentiometers and one adjustable coil, due to the source of
where I got these FRSs, I wouldn't rule out bad adjustment has been
involved. But before I get into this direction, I'd need more technical info
like: schematic/block diagram (for this model is the best), general
procedure to adjust...

As an electronic hobbyist dealing with other household appliances before
(TV, VCR...), I wouldn't mind get into these FRSs at spare time.

Thanks.

"Tim Perry" wrote in message

io.net...

"user" wrote in message
Hi,

I currently have of a few "broken" FRS's from Midland (G-227). The

common
symtomps is noise during Rx mode, the noise reduces significantly when

there
is another radio in Tx mode nearby, but the audio is too soft to

hear...
if
any.

Does anybody have any experience with this repair or any pointer to
web-site, forum dealing with repairing this kind of equipment.

Thanks so much,

i agree with with the guy above... plus, consider that there may be

multiple
problems... like broken antennas AND bad microphone or TX audio. broken
antennas = low range bad TX audio = low or no audio heard in

receiver.

Tim Perry

"user" wrote in message
Hi,

Thank for your response so far. I've checked the batteries (even use a
regulated power supply for correct voltage), and open up one to examine

and
for look for other obvious problems, but found none.

I saw a few potentiometers and one adjustable coil, due to the source of
where I got these FRSs, I wouldn't rule out bad adjustment has been
involved. But before I get into this direction, I'd need more technical

info
like: schematic/block diagram (for this model is the best), general
procedure to adjust...

As an electronic hobbyist dealing with other household appliances before
(TV, VCR...), I wouldn't mind get into these FRSs at spare time.

Thanks.

if you can get one pair to work that's a start... you can use one
functioning unit in place of actual test equipment... to a point. ....
however, if i recall correctly is actually illegal to work on them without a
general radio telephone operators license.