Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking
Danny D Danny D is offline

Default Is there a 'magic' solution for dissolving labels on glassware?

On Thu, 09 May 2013 17:32:01 +0000, Danny D wrote:

UPDATE:

Nothing really worked better than dish detergent and water
for getting the *paper* part of the labels off the plastic
Costco vitamin jars... but the gummy glue residue was left:

MAF cleaner dried too quickly, leaving a sticky residue:

Brake cleaner had similar results to the MAF cleaner:

My wife noticed the smell with the engine degreaser:

The alcohol was ineffective at reducing the gummy glue:

The paint thinner turned the glue into a milky residue:

Likewise with the better-smelling WD-40:

Acetone simply made the plastic itself sticky:

And TSP didn't do much more than the dish detergent did:

Within margins of error, I'd have to tentatively conclude that
the winner would be whatever smells best to you of these 3:

For example, here's a before-and-after glue-removal comparison: