Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cheap Bagged Topsoil/Fill??

Anyone know of any companies that sell GOOD and cheap bagged
topsoil/fill?? Almost everyone near me has the "Scotts Premium Topsoil"
for around $2 bucks a bag, but the stuff is crap!! I bought some last
year, and when I opened the bag, it wasn't even dirt/soil, or was more
like all mulch and peat!!! TONS of sticks and mulch in there, even
though the bag says "contains no sticks", the stuff is junk!!

Home Depot sells some generic topsoil for about $1.50 a bag, but that
stuff sucks as well. The dirt is always wet, and smelly, and loaded with
debris like ieces of plastic, rocks, etc, etc. Same with the "Ace
Hardware" topsoil which is about $3 bucks a bag, the stuff is wet,
smelly, and loaded with debris.

The "Garden Centers" near me have good brands like organic "Fosters",
"Fafard", "Moo Moo Dirt" and "Lobster Compost", the problem is they are
like $5 - $8 bucks per bag!!

In my yard, the former owners, many years ago had a very long flower bed
on the side of the house. When we moved in, there were no flowers there.
It is all grass now. The problem is, there is a big long deep rut there
now where the flower bed was. The ditch/rut is about 30 feet LONG, 2-3
feet WIDE, and about 1-2 feet DEEP.

We want to fill this in, because when it rains the rut fills with water.
When you mow the lawn there, the mower scalps the grass on the sides of
the rut/ditch. I know the best way to fill this in, would be to just
call a landscaping company and have a truck full of topsoil/loam dumped.

The problem is, I have a small driveway with 3 cars parked in it, and a
small front yard with a busy public sidewalk with people and kids
walking by all day because of an elementary school down the street. I
don't think the city would be happy with a big pile of dirt dumped on
the public City sidewalk. So unfortunately, looks like the only way to
ever fix this myself ( without paying landscapers to use a wheelbarrow
to move the soil from their truck parked in the street to the ditch/rut,
is to buy bagged topsoil.

I don't want to use the crappy $2 dollar a bag "Scotts" which is like
85% mulch and peat moss, but also don't want to spend like $7 bucks a
bag for the organic stuff at the Garden Center. Should I just use the
cheap $1.50 stuff at Home Depot to fill the ditch/rut, and then just
spread a few bags of the good organic stuff on the top??

Because this thing being 30 feet long, 2-3 feet wide, and 1-2 feet deep,
I probably need like 50 bags of topsoil!?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 9, 2013 11:15:16 AM UTC-4, MICHELLE H. wrote:
Because this thing being 30 feet long, 2-3 feet wide, and 1-2 feet deep,
I probably need like 50 bags of topsoil!?

A trench 30' long, 3' wide, 2' deep is almost 7 cubic yards. A bag of topsoil is usually about 1/2 cubic foot, so it will take 54 to make up just one cubic yard of LOOSE topsoil. It will pack down.

You're looking at 350-400 bags of topsoil to fill this trench by the time all is said and done.

It will cost you far less to hire a landscaper to come with a dump truck and a few strong young men with wheelbarrows and shovels. They will fill in the bulk of the trench with gravel for drainage, then cover it with topsoil. It will all be over in an hour or two, and you will not even know they were there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 11:29*am, wrote:
On Tuesday, April 9, 2013 11:15:16 AM UTC-4, MICHELLE H. wrote:
Because this thing being 30 feet long, 2-3 feet wide, and 1-2 feet deep,
I probably need like 50 bags of topsoil!?

A trench 30' long, 3' wide, 2' deep is almost 7 cubic yards. A bag of topsoil is usually about 1/2 cubic foot, so it will take 54 to make up just one cubic yard of LOOSE topsoil. It will pack down.

You're looking at 350-400 bags of topsoil to fill this trench by the time all is said and done.

It will cost you far less to hire a landscaper to come with a dump truck and a few strong young men with wheelbarrows and shovels. They will fill in the bulk of the trench with gravel for drainage, then cover it with topsoil. It will all be over in an hour or two, and you will not even know they were there.

That's one option. The other is to have a load delivered and
dumped in the driveway. Park the cars in the street for a day or
two. Regulations and customs will vary, but around
here, NJ, lots of people have stuff like this delivered and
dumped in the street next to the curb and then wheelbarrow
it themselves in a day or two.

The other thing here is I don't think asking for what kind
of bagged topsoil is good is going to be productive. I
would think almost all of them are local, ie they aren't likely
to ship bagged topsoil from IL to CT. And it probably
varies from season to season, or even within a season
depending on what source is available.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 9, 2013 12:16:48 PM UTC-4, wrote:
The other thing here is I don't think asking for what kind
of bagged topsoil is good is going to be productive. I
would think almost all of them are local, ie they aren't likely
to ship bagged topsoil from IL to CT. And it probably
varies from season to season, or even within a season
depending on what source is available.

As the OP said, its' mostly just mulch and sticks and garbage anyway... After huffing 400 bags of it into the trench, it will settle and rot and six months later she'll have to huff another 200 bags in. Not to mention the smell of rotting vegetation and the moisture it will hold up against the foundation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

BTW, bagged topsoil is meant as a convenience for flower pots and window boxes, not industrial landscaping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/9/2013 11:15 AM, MICHELLE H. wrote:
[...]

Put one of the cars someplace else and have them dump a load there.

I don't want to use the crappy $2 dollar a bag "Scotts" which is like
85% mulch and peat moss, but also don't want to spend like $7 bucks a
bag for the organic stuff at the Garden Center. Should I just use the
cheap $1.50 stuff at Home Depot to fill the ditch/rut, and then just
spread a few bags of the good organic stuff on the top??

Because this thing being 30 feet long, 2-3 feet wide, and 1-2 feet deep,
I probably need like 50 bags of topsoil!?

You would need considerably more than that. Bags are intended for
filling the flower box not for the volume you would need. For that many
bags they would need to deliver multiple pallet loads and you would need
to put them someplace. And pay probably 15x the cost of just getting a
load dumped.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all the great answers. Yeah, this looks to be a BIG job. The
old guy who lived in the house before us had hardly any grass at all.
From what I understand from neighbors, is that he had a HUGE vegetable
garden in the backyard, and flowers all on the side of the house, and in
the front yard. Neighbors said that the whole front yard was ALL
entirely flowers, no grass!! He hardly had any grass at all. When he
passed away, no one cared for the flowers, and grass and weeds grew
everywhere.

One of the neighbors said that on the property line with the next door
neighbor, instead of putting up a fence like most people, he had a
flower bed that ran down about 50 - 60 feet on the side of the house
that seperated the 2 yards.

So this is the reason why there is now a long rut there. I guess he
filled in about 30 feet of the rut though, because he planted "Rose Of
Sharon" bushes on the property line when he was getting older and
couldn't take care of so many flowers. The neighbors said he had about 2
or 3 truckloads of "loam" delivered to the yard.

I'm just wondering, why did he make the flower bed so deep!? It's not
just 30 feet long, and 1-2 feet wide, but deep as well, about 1-2 feet!!
I assume he must have dug out all the soil, and probably used it for his
garden in the backyard??

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Thanks for all the great answers. Yeah, this looks to be a BIG job. ...

I'm just wondering, why did he make the flower bed so deep!? It's not
just 30 feet long, and 1-2 feet wide, but deep as well, about 1-2 feet!!
I assume he must have dug out all the soil, and probably used it for his
garden in the backyard??

Sound more like there must have been something larger there that was
removed/transplanted or somesuch. There's no reason a flower bed would
be below grade--it would end up drowning the flowers w/ decent probability.

Are you sure this isn't/wasn't a drainage-related feature? Where is the
water going to go that is being collected by the depression now--be sure
you don't all of a sudden have water running into the garage or
something after you fill this up.

As a practical matter assuming the above is resolved, if the
measurements are close to accurate this is between 2 and 3 cubic _yards_
of material required to fill it. That's going to be 30-40+ of those 2
cu-ft bags if you go the retail route which is ridiculously expensive.

Your only practical solution is have some topsoil delivered. if the
logistics of a large truck are indeed too cumbersome to deal with, find
a neighbor/friend w/ a pickup and go get a couple loads a weekend until
done...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

-snip-

Are you sure this isn't/wasn't a drainage-related feature? Where is the
water going to go that is being collected by the depression now--be sure
you don't all of a sudden have water running into the garage or
something after you fill this up.

That's what I was wondering. i wouldn't fill it until I saw what
happens during a downpour. And I'd ask the neighbors if they know.

[Maybe he just took all the plants with him wherever he went.]

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 8:22*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per :

Who knows why people do some of the things they do.
But if the intention is to make a flower bed, I don't understand
why anyone would remove good topsoil and make a ditch 2 ft deep.

The key might be "Good Topsoil".

Out yard is basically a notch that some developer scooped out of the
side of a shale hill.

You want to grow something? * Get out the pick axe and start digging.
That's what I did when I was young and foolish. *In fact, slow learner
that I am, I spent two days last year with a pry bar and a trowel
carving out a couple of 30" deep holes to put a couple of 2x4's in for a
kayak rack:http://tinyurl.com/crwrefo

Maybe the old guy perceived a similar situation, was smarter than I was,
and brought in a back hoe. * If that were the case, I can easily see how
whatever digging was done might have been deeper than technically
required.
--
Pete Cresswell

Yes, but if you did that and created your flower bed,
why would it now be a ditch? You'd take out a foot of the
bad soil and replace it with topsoil, no?
Senior Member

MICHELLE H.:

Just look in your yellow pages phone book under "Topsoil" and you should find plenty of companies that sell it by the cubic yard.

If you want their truck to dump it on your property, and the rear axle of the truck has to go over the curb to do that, you may need to get permission from your town or city to do that. Those trucks can be heavy enough to crack the curb, and so the city wants to be aware of it when that happens. They may ask you to pay a nominal fee (like $25) as insurance in case the truck cracks the curb.

If you want the top soil dumped on anything other than a smooth flat surface like a driveway, put down plastic sheeting (which you can buy as "vapour barrier" at any hardware store) and weigh the corners down with stones or bricks or something. That will make it easy to remove what's left of the top soil from that area so as not to leave a big black mark on your lawn or the boulevard. Often, people put down plastic on the boulevard and have the truck dump the topsoil on that plastic without driving over the curb.

Cover your pile of topsoil with plastic as well so that if it rains, it doesn't get wet and heavy and hard to shovel.

Finally, buy a small shovel with an aluminum blade meant for SNOW to shovel the top soil into your wheelbarrow or whatever. That will make the work much easier because of the lighter shovel. Top soil is soft and any shovel will dig into it easily. You don't need a strong steel spade like you would if you were wanting to dig a hole into undisturbed ground.

Last edited by nestork : April 10th 13 at 03:47 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cheap Bagged Topsoil/Fill?? UPDATE!!!!

Just to get an accurate measurement, I went out there today with a tape
measure, and measured the entire rut in the lawn, and boy was I WAY
OFF!!!!!!! The rut is about 40 feet long, not 30 feet long. It is 3 feet
wide, not 2 feet wide. And it is roughly about 4 inches deep, not 1-2
feet deep. The depth varies in differnt spots. In one spot it was about
3 inches deeper than the rest of the lawn. In another spot it was 3 and
1/2 inches deeper. In another spot it was 4 inches deeper than the rest
of the lawn. So the entire rut is about 3-4 inches deep.

The reason I originally said it was 1-2 feet deep is because that's how
deep it feels when your standing in it!!!!

But using a tape measure, the more accurate measurement is actually 40
feet long, 3 feet wide, and 3-4 inches deep.

Is this still impossible and too expensive to fill with bags of topsoil
bought at retail?

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHELLE H. View Post
[...]

That's between 1 and 1 1/2 cubic yards of top soil. Probably the cheapest way to fill that rut is if you know someone with a half ton truck that would be willing to have it loaded into his truck and take it to your property where you could simply shovel it off the back of the truck into the rut.

Posted to alt.home.repair

MICHELLE H. wrote:
[...]

With your new figures you have (40x3)/3 which equals 40 cubic feet. That's
about 1 1/2 cubic yards.

If the bags are 2 cubic feet, you would need 20 bags. Bulk is cheaper.
Last I bought 2-3 years ago was about $10 per yard and $30 for delivery.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 8:32*pm, (MICHELLE H.) wrote:
[...]

Are you incapable of doing simple math?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah, if I buy it in bulk from a landscaper, I can see the stuff first
before buying it, right? Because buying in bags from the store, you
really don't know what you are getting, or whats in there? The $1.49
stuff at Home Depot is usually all wet, heavy, and smelly, loaded with
debris and rocks. The "Scotts: Premium" is mostly all peat moss and
mulch, and the organic topsoil at the garden center is usually light and
fluffy even though it's in a "40 pound" bag.

Plus, I can probably only get 5 bags at a time in the car, so yes, that
is ALOT of trips to the store in the family car!!! I will have to call
around some landscapers and get some prices of having a truck load of
soil delivered.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

MICHELLE H. wrote:
Yeah, if I buy it in bulk from a landscaper, I can see the stuff first
before buying it, right? Because buying in bags from the store, you
really don't know what you are getting, or whats in there? The $1.49
stuff at Home Depot is usually all wet, heavy, and smelly, loaded with
debris and rocks. The "Scotts: Premium" is mostly all peat moss and
mulch, and the organic topsoil at the garden center is usually light
and fluffy even though it's in a "40 pound" bag.

Plus, I can probably only get 5 bags at a time in the car, so yes,
that is ALOT of trips to the store in the family car!!! I will have
to call around some landscapers and get some prices of having a truck
load of soil delivered.

You don't want a truck load. A truck load is usually somewhere between 14-19
cubic yards. You only need 1 1/2 or so.

Somone's suggestion of enlisting a friend who has a pickup truck is a good
one. They can also be rented if the landscapers have a minimum order much
more than you need.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cheap Bagged Topsoil/Fill?? UPDATE!!!! ( Dad )

Yeah, I want to get this long rut filled in so that I can plant a few
Arborvitaes there. My neighbors planted one in their yard last year. It
is a new variety called "Goldy Arborvitae". It is a slow growing
arborvitae that is green in the Spring and Summer, but turns a nice
Orange/Gold color in Winter. It grows about 1 foot per year, and gets
about 15 feet tall when full grown. I know that everyone raves about
"Emerald Green Arborvitaes" and "Green Giants", but everybody has
"Emeralds", and "Green Giants" get like 50 feet tall, and I don't want
something that big. I like the "Golden Arborvitae" because of the way
they change color in the Winter.

Senior Member

I'm sure she's capable of doing the math, Trader4.

It's just that she's not sure how to go about doing this in any way except buying bags of top soil at her local home center, which would be the most expensive way to buy topsoil.

Michelle:
If you know someone with a half ton truck (or a trailer that could be towed behind a car), your cheapest solution would be to use that truck or trailer to get the top soil home. At 1 to 1.5 cubic yards, the delivery charge is going to end up being more than the top soil you're buying.

Last edited by nestork : April 12th 13 at 01:34 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/11/2013 3:54 PM, nestork wrote:
I'm sure she's capable of working out the volume of soil needed,
Trader4.

It's just that she's not sure how to go about doing this in any way
except buying bags of top soil at her local home center, which would be
the most expensive way of doing it.

Michelle: If you know someone with a half ton truck (or a trailer that
could be towed behind a car), your cheapest solution would be to use
that truck or trailer to get the top soil home. At 1 to 1.5 cubic
yards, the delivery charge is going to end up being more than the top
soil you're buying.

But it doesn't matter because the net charge will be much less than
buying much more expensive bagged soil.

There are at least 3 places around here that will load a small dump
truck with soil/mulch/stone etc and drop it where you tell them for a
very reasonable charge. I am sure there is nothing unique about that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:13:52 AM UTC-4, MICHELLE H. wrote:
Yeah, if I buy it in bulk from a landscaper, I can see the stuff first
before buying it, right? Because buying in bags from the store, you
really don't know what you are getting, or whats in there? The $1.49
stuff at Home Depot is usually all wet, heavy, and smelly, loaded with
debris and rocks.

Keep in mind, 54 bags per yard.

You actually WANT the debris and rocks, it will fill better compact less drain better and be less prone to washing away in a rainstorm, before you can establish sod on top.

If you absolutely must use bagged and have talked yourself into believing that no other solution is possible, then use the cheapest heaviest stuff you can get.
Posted to alt.home.repair

MICHELLE H. wrote:
Yeah, if I buy it in bulk from a landscaper, I can see the stuff first
before buying it, right? Because buying in bags from the store, you
really don't know what you are getting, or whats in there? The $1.49
stuff at Home Depot is usually all wet, heavy, and smelly, loaded with
debris and rocks. The "Scotts: Premium" is mostly all peat moss and
mulch, and the organic topsoil at the garden center is usually light and
fluffy even though it's in a "40 pound" bag.

Plus, I can probably only get 5 bags at a time in the car, so yes, that
is ALOT of trips to the store in the family car!!! I will have to call
around some landscapers and get some prices of having a truck load of
soil delivered.

Thanks!

Most home centers rent trucks by the hour. Home Depot is $19 for the first
75 minutes near me.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/11/2013 9:25 AM, dadiOH wrote:
MICHELLE H. wrote:
[...]

A single-axle dump will be 5-7 yds; it takes a long-bed tandem to get
even close to 12-14. 19 is large, indeed.

One of the small single axle dumps a retail landscaping outfit would be
likely to have is probably only about 3-4 or so but they're probably
GVWR to 3 or under for a 3500-series, say, which is what I see quite a
few of w/ the landscape folks.

http://www.gmfleet.com/specialty-vehicles/dump-truck.html?seo=goo_|_GM+FCO+Corp_|_SGT-Specialty+Vehicles-Phrase_|_Dump+Truck_|_dump%20truck

It was I who (at least one if others did as well) who suggested the
'find a buddy' route and take a shovel...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 10:25:41 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

MICHELLE H. wrote:
Yeah, if I buy it in bulk from a landscaper, I can see the stuff first
before buying it, right? Because buying in bags from the store, you
really don't know what you are getting, or whats in there? The $1.49
stuff at Home Depot is usually all wet, heavy, and smelly, loaded with
debris and rocks. The "Scotts: Premium" is mostly all peat moss and
mulch, and the organic topsoil at the garden center is usually light
and fluffy even though it's in a "40 pound" bag.

Plus, I can probably only get 5 bags at a time in the car, so yes,
that is ALOT of trips to the store in the family car!!! I will have
to call around some landscapers and get some prices of having a truck
load of soil delivered.

You don't want a truck load. A truck load is usually somewhere between 14-19
cubic yards. You only need 1 1/2 or so.

That certainly depends on the size of the truck. I've had deliveries
as small as one yards delivered on a 3 yard dump body pickup. I've
also had a full load on a 10yd "10 wheeler". Sure, I imagine an
"18-wheeler" dump trailer is 20yd, or more.

Somone's suggestion of enlisting a friend who has a pickup truck is a good
one. They can also be rented if the landscapers have a minimum order much
more than you need.

Often they will deliver as little as a yard, for a premium of course.
Beware, a yard doesn't look like a lot of dirt. It isn't a lot but
it's around 60-70 40# bags. ;-)

Beware, a yard of topsoil weighs more than a ton. Your friend may not
appreciate a broken spring (nor a rental place). They probably won't
like it full of dirt, either. Add a good car wash into your day. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You don't want a truck load. A truck load is usually somewhere between 14-19
cubic yards. You only need 1 1/2 or so.

Somone's suggestion of enlisting a friend who has a pickup truck is a good
one. They can also be rented if the landscapers have a minimum order much
more than you need.

How about a small truck? A local place here will deliver from 1 to 3
yards for 10 bucks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 10:27:28 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Many females have problems with volume. Area too

And pi is something they bake once in a long while

That is because women have been told something as long as my thumb is
a solid 6" long.

Senior Member

I just checked with my local sod farm, and their topsoil weighs about 1500 pounds per cubic yard.

So, if you have access to a half ton truck, it would be better to make two trips; each carrying a half cubic yard.

Another, perhaps dumb idea, but worth considering if the OP knows someone with a station wagon or a car with a fold down rear seat is to collect some 5 gallon pails from the local restaurants or empty cardboard boxes from their local liquor stores. The cardboard boxes that expensive liquor comes in are better quality because they're often double corrugated or even triple corrugated.

It turns out that 1 1/2 cubic yards is equal in volume to 300 US gallons or 250 Canadian gallons. I'm thinking that if she had a vehicle that could carry 10 five gallon pails at a time, that's 50 gallons or 6 2/3 to 8 cubic feet per trip. It'd take 5 to 7 trips and 10 empty 5 gallon pails to get the required amount of top soil home. An alternative would be to use the equivalent volume in empty cardboard boxes.

The problem with that idea is that no place selling top soil is going to fill those boxes or pails and load them in her car. She'd have to do that herself. And, for such a small sale (less than $20), they're not going to want to see her out in their yard filling those boxes and pails, cuz if she gets injured while in their yard for any reason, it exposes them to a potential law suit. They just wouldn't want to be bothered with that kind of business.

Last edited by nestork : April 12th 13 at 06:12 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

MICHELLE H. wrote:

In my yard, the former owners, many years ago had a very long flower
bed on the side of the house. When we moved in, there were no flowers
there. It is all grass now. The problem is, there is a big long deep
rut there now where the flower bed was. The ditch/rut is about 30
feet LONG, 2-3 feet WIDE, and about 1-2 feet DEEP.

Why would you need 1-2 FEET (deep) of top soil? Six inches should be
sufficient for almost anything.

That is, plants with roots longer than a foot or so are perfectly capable of
dealing with crappy soil (clay, silt, etc.). "Topsoil" is for grass and
flowers. Maybe carrots.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Nonsense...that's what rental trucks are for..._real_ trucks, anyway.

...and they don't want them returned caked with mud.

We're not talkin' U-haul moving box van, here, we're talking a _dump_
bed or a pickup...

That's what we're talking.

Its a poor truck that you can not put some dirt in the bed and wash it out
with a hose when it is empty.

I never did understand why someone would buy a truck and be afraid to put
something in the bed. I have a small Toyota that has a bed made out of
something like fiberglass. The outside of the truck looks fine, but I haul
what ever I want to with it. Other trucks can have a liner sprayed in that
is tough and can be redone if needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2013 6:49 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
wrote in message
Nonsense...that's what rental trucks are for..._real_ trucks, anyway.

...and they don't want them returned caked with mud.

We're not talkin' U-haul moving box van, here, we're talking a _dump_
bed or a pickup...

That's what we're talking.

Its a poor truck that you can not put some dirt in the bed and wash it out
with a hose when it is empty.

I never did understand why someone would buy a truck and be afraid to put
something in the bed. I have a small Toyota that has a bed made out of
something like fiberglass. The outside of the truck looks fine, but I haul
what ever I want to with it. Other trucks can have a liner sprayed in that
is tough and can be redone if needed.

Because judging by how many are on the road most smaller size trucks are
bought and used as cars. This includes the various fluffed up SUV
permutations. As an example the people who live behind us have a giant
dual wheel 700 HP 290,000lb towing capacity truck and it has never
transported more than a large beverage and a bag of groceries.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 18:49:47 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Nonsense...that's what rental trucks are for..._real_ trucks, anyway.

...and they don't want them returned caked with mud.

We're not talkin' U-haul moving box van, here, we're talking a _dump_
bed or a pickup...

That's what we're talking.

Its a poor truck that you can not put some dirt in the bed and wash it out
with a hose when it is empty.

Good grief. It's got nothing to do with the truck.

Perhaps you like to drive **** but not everyone is you, fortunately.
Rental places don't like to advertise ****, either.

I have a small Toyota that has a bed made out of
something like fiberglass. The outside of the truck looks fine, but I haul
what ever I want to with it. Other trucks can have a liner sprayed in that
is tough and can be redone if needed.

I have a spray-in bedliner, as well. What's your point?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Nonsense...that's what rental trucks are for..._real_ trucks, anyway.

...and they don't want them returned caked with mud.

We're not talkin' U-haul moving box van, here, we're talking a _dump_
bed or a pickup...

That's what we're talking.

Its a poor truck that you can not put some dirt in the bed and wash it out
with a hose when it is empty.

I never did understand why someone would buy a truck and be afraid to put
something in the bed. I have a small Toyota that has a bed made out of
something like fiberglass. The outside of the truck looks fine, but I haul
what ever I want to with it. Other trucks can have a liner sprayed in that
is tough and can be redone if needed.

Because judging by how many are on the road most smaller size trucks are
bought and used as cars.

....and why not?

This includes the various fluffed up SUV
permutations. As an example the people who live behind us have a giant
dual wheel 700 HP 290,000lb towing capacity truck and it has never
transported more than a large beverage and a bag of groceries.

Jealous?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why Can't You Lay Refrigerator Down??

replying to nestork , Offred wrote:
nestork.bae2048 wrote:

I expect that warning to never turn the fridge on it's side is just
because it's small enough to fit on a large shelf or counter top, and so
people might be thinking that they can have it operating on it's side.
That warning is there just to keep the manufacturer out of court.
Still, I'd call the manufacturer's 1-800 customer service phone number
on this one. Most likely they'll say it's OK provided you turn it
upright for a few hours before plugging it in. (People often leave it
for a day, but that's entirely unnecessary.) No appliance manufacturer
in either the US or China would make a fridge that could be permanently
damaged by merely laying the fridge down on it's side. J
--
nestork

I'm currently on third mini freezer so this post probably applies to small
refrigerator as well as of late 2015. My first freezer was a GE, the
second an Igloo, and the most recent an Avanti. It seems these China made
boxes won't work if they are even transported at an angle. I have gone
through three now that, despite the seemingly high odds against failure
have all failed nonetheless. All three sound perfectly normal just no cold.

So why did I think the third time would be the charm? Stupid mistake! I
should have researched it all first. So now it seems I won't be able to
install a freezer in the basement at all because the entrances are just
too small and the freezer would have to be tilted anyway to get it down
there.

The local repair people won't touch these boxes; they consider these
things to be disposable I guess.

Avanti CS will ship you a brand new freezer if you send them the receipt
and the snipped off power cord. Trouble is, they consider this to be
warranty coverage. So what happens to the defective freezer? You'll have
to dispose of it yourself.

Making topsoil G Mulcaster Home Repair 8 November 2nd 10 11:23 PM
Topsoil - How much! Bear[_2_] UK diy 15 July 6th 09 10:46 AM
Topsoil - How much! Bear[_2_] UK diy 1 July 5th 09 04:08 PM
Hoover S3341 Constellation Bagged Canister Vacuum Cleaner [email protected] Home Ownership 0 May 22nd 09 02:22 AM
Bagged a possum... [email protected] Home Repair 12 September 18th 06 05:53 AM