Posted to alt.home.repair
Offred Offred is offline

Default Why Can't You Lay Refrigerator Down??

replying to nestork , Offred wrote:
nestork.bae2048 wrote:

I expect that warning to never turn the fridge on it's side is just
because it's small enough to fit on a large shelf or counter top, and so
people might be thinking that they can have it operating on it's side.
That warning is there just to keep the manufacturer out of court.
Still, I'd call the manufacturer's 1-800 customer service phone number
on this one. Most likely they'll say it's OK provided you turn it
upright for a few hours before plugging it in. (People often leave it
for a day, but that's entirely unnecessary.) No appliance manufacturer
in either the US or China would make a fridge that could be permanently
damaged by merely laying the fridge down on it's side. J
--
nestork

I'm currently on third mini freezer so this post probably applies to small
refrigerator as well as of late 2015. My first freezer was a GE, the
second an Igloo, and the most recent an Avanti. It seems these China made
boxes won't work if they are even transported at an angle. I have gone
through three now that, despite the seemingly high odds against failure
have all failed nonetheless. All three sound perfectly normal just no cold.

So why did I think the third time would be the charm? Stupid mistake! I
should have researched it all first. So now it seems I won't be able to
install a freezer in the basement at all because the entrances are just
too small and the freezer would have to be tilted anyway to get it down
there.

The local repair people won't touch these boxes; they consider these
things to be disposable I guess.

Avanti CS will ship you a brand new freezer if you send them the receipt
and the snipped off power cord. Trouble is, they consider this to be
warranty coverage. So what happens to the defective freezer? You'll have
to dispose of it yourself.