Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Cheap Bagged Topsoil/Fill??

MICHELLE H. wrote:

In my yard, the former owners, many years ago had a very long flower
bed on the side of the house. When we moved in, there were no flowers
there. It is all grass now. The problem is, there is a big long deep
rut there now where the flower bed was. The ditch/rut is about 30
feet LONG, 2-3 feet WIDE, and about 1-2 feet DEEP.

Why would you need 1-2 FEET (deep) of top soil? Six inches should be
sufficient for almost anything.

That is, plants with roots longer than a foot or so are perfectly capable of
dealing with crappy soil (clay, silt, etc.). "Topsoil" is for grass and
flowers. Maybe carrots.