Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why Can't You Lay Refrigerator Down??

On Wed, 06 Jan 2016 04:44:01 +0000, Offred
wrote:

replying to nestork , Offred wrote:
nestork.bae2048 wrote:

I expect that warning to never turn the fridge on it's side is just
because it's small enough to fit on a large shelf or counter top, and so
people might be thinking that they can have it operating on it's side.
That warning is there just to keep the manufacturer out of court.
Still, I'd call the manufacturer's 1-800 customer service phone number
on this one. Most likely they'll say it's OK provided you turn it
upright for a few hours before plugging it in. (People often leave it
for a day, but that's entirely unnecessary.) No appliance manufacturer
in either the US or China would make a fridge that could be permanently
damaged by merely laying the fridge down on it's side. J
--
nestork

I'm currently on third mini freezer so this post probably applies to small
refrigerator as well as of late 2015. My first freezer was a GE, the
second an Igloo, and the most recent an Avanti. It seems these China made
boxes won't work if they are even transported at an angle. I have gone
through three now that, despite the seemingly high odds against failure
have all failed nonetheless. All three sound perfectly normal just no cold.

So why did I think the third time would be the charm? Stupid mistake! I
should have researched it all first. So now it seems I won't be able to
install a freezer in the basement at all because the entrances are just
too small and the freezer would have to be tilted anyway to get it down
there.

The local repair people won't touch these boxes; they consider these
things to be disposable I guess.

Avanti CS will ship you a brand new freezer if you send them the receipt
and the snipped off power cord. Trouble is, they consider this to be
warranty coverage. So what happens to the defective freezer? You'll have
to dispose of it yourself.

I believe you can lay a refrigerator on its side if you then allow it
to sit upright for several hours, maybe a day, afterwards, before
plugging it in. Did you do that?

If yours still didnt' work, maybe there is something different about
it from the rest.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Because the compressor lubricating oil
gets into the piston cylinder.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Because the compressor lubricating oil
gets into the piston cylinder.

--

is that why you must wait a day, or why you cannot turn it on its side
period?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2016 8:51 AM, taxed and spent wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Because the compressor lubricating oil
gets into the piston cylinder.

--

is that why you must wait a day, or why you cannot turn it on its side
period?

What I've heard, if the oil gets into the
piston, the valve break when the compressor
is turned on.

Ideally, waiting a day allows the oil to drain
back to the base of the compressor. Where it
belogns.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

nestork.bae2048 wrote:

[...]

http://products.geappliances.com/appliance/gea-support-search-content?contentId=18747

"Freezer Moving Instructions

Please use the following steps when relocating an upright or chest freezer:

Disconnect the power cord from the wall receptacle.
Remove the food, defrost, and clean the freezer.
Use blankets to protect the freezer finish from scratches.
Place the freezer on its side for moving only if you have no other
choice.
When transporting a freezer, keep it in an upright position. If
transporting it in an upright position is not possible, lay it down on
the compressor side of the unit. Be careful to secure the door to
prevent it from opening.
If it has been transported on its side, set it right side up in its
final location and allow the freezer to sit for the same amount of time
that it was on its side (24 hrs max.). Do not plug the unit into the
electrical receptacle without allowing this settling time. The unit can
be damaged if it is plugged in prematurely.

If the unit was transported in an upright position there is no waiting
time required."

Above from GE is pretty typical of what I've seen from manufacturers --
it's far and away _preferred_ to transport upright; if must transport
horizontally, lay on the side so the compressor is down, not up.

As for the basement, we've got both a fridge and an upright freezer down
there and both have to be tilted to get them down and in the area. Had
to replace the old freezer that finally died just last year; the new one
turned out to be taller by just enough had to lay down on back to be
able to set it upright; it wouldn't clear ceiling width-wise trying to
stand it up. We did, of course, transport it on its side as directed.

Left it sit a day even though it had only been a few minutes simply as
precaution; it's now been about 9 months, seems OK. Hopefully it'll
last 30 yr more as did the one it replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 06 Jan 2016 09:01:15 -0600, dpb wrote:

http://products.geappliances.com/appliance/gea-support-search-content?contentId=18747
"Freezer Moving Instructions

If it has been transported on its side, set it right side up in its
final location and allow the freezer to sit for the same amount of time
that it was on its side (24 hrs max.). Do not plug the unit into the
electrical receptacle without allowing this settling time. The unit can
be damaged if it is plugged in prematurely.

When my small chest freezer was delivered, the UPS guy flipped it end over
end to get it up the stoop by himself. No wonder it periodically gurgles.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 01/06/2016 11:48 AM, Don Wiss wrote:

When my small chest freezer was delivered, the UPS guy flipped it end over
end to get it up the stoop by himself. No wonder it periodically gurgles.

That'd be beyond pale in my book...it'd gone back on their nickel he
done that to me (and I knew it, of course).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 06 Jan 2016 12:48:30 -0500, Don Wiss
wrote:

When my small chest freezer was delivered, the UPS guy flipped it end over
end to get it up the stoop by himself. No wonder it periodically gurgles.

In that case, allow the upright unit to sit and settle 24 hours before
you plug it in?
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

About 45 years ago, shortly after I finished High School, I moved into a
run-down "Furnished" house. One day our refrigerator quit getting cold.
It ran, but did not get cold. We called the landlord, and he came over
(drunk as he always was). He told us to remove the contents, then he
asked us to help him move it outside to the porch.

We thought he was going to bring us another fridge, but instead, as soon
as we got it to the porch, he just pushed it off the porch. That porch
was 3 to 4 feet off the ground. The fridge crashed on it's side onto the
concrete sidewalk. We just stood there wondering what the hell he was
doing. He sat down and said "now we gotta wait", and he drank another
pint of some sort of booze. A half hour later he said "Lets put it back
on the porch". So we help him get it back on the porch. It's all dented
up, but he asks if we have an extension cord. We got one and he ran the
cord thru a window and plugged the fridge into it.

He got himself another bottle to drink and said "now we gotta wait". I
must admit I, and everyone else was completely amazed to find that
within a half hour that fridge was cold again.....

The landlord told us to take it back into the house by ourselves and he
left.... (But before he left, he said "now you guys know how to fix a
refrigerator").

Although we did not live there very long, that dented up fridge
continued to work for months afterwards. UNBELIEVABLE!

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Offred, Offred wrote:
Offred wrote:

[...]

All three freezers sat for a week. I didn't know they had to be set for a
day or so after transport. I never heard that this is a problem with big
freezers so why is the compressor so different? Each was at an angle for
only a few seconds during transport. After installed each were powered up
immediately which apparently was a big mistake. I did not let them sit. I
guess by starting them up right away rather then let them sit, damage to
the compressor resulted. But seriously, three freezers all failing,
transported and installed at 45 d angle at worst? What's wrong here? And
there must be a way to fix this, Is the compressor permanently damaged? Is
there any way to tell?

I just wish there was a warning in big letters on the shipping box. Years
ago I got a Haier, took it home at a 45 d angle and it worked fine. The
new ones are China junk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Offred wrote:

[...]

Around here, they pay you $35-50 when they haul it away. Your taxes
at work protecting the environment.

All three freezers sat for a week. I didn't know they had to be set for a
day or so after transport. I never heard that this is a problem with big
freezers so why is the compressor so different? Each was at an angle for
only a few seconds during transport. After installed each were powered up
immediately which apparently was a big mistake. I did not let them sit. I
guess by starting them up right away rather then let them sit, damage to
the compressor resulted. But seriously, three freezers all failing,
transported and installed at 45 d angle at worst? What's wrong here? And
there must be a way to fix this, Is the compressor permanently damaged? Is
there any way to tell?

I just wish there was a warning in big letters on the shipping box. Years
ago I got a Haier, took it home at a 45 d angle and it worked fine. The
new ones are China junk.

The way I heard it, when you lay it over, oil in the compressor may
find its way into the exit pipe.
When you turn it on, oil makes its way to and plugs up the
(whatever they use as) expansion orifice...game over.

Presumably, oil in the big part of the pipe can make its way back into
the compressor if you let it sit. Once it's in the capillary tube,
it has a hard time getting out.

What you did after you touched it may be irrelevant after a boat
trip from China in whatever position it happened to be.

When they delivered my fridge, they started it immediately. No problems.
But they carried it pretty-much upright all the way.

50 years ago, I hauled the fridge from college back home.
100 miles on its side in a trailer.
Was dead when it arrived home.
Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork.bae2048 wrote:

[...]

In past years I transported many many refrigerators for my rentals on
their sides. Typically for no more then an hour or two. I always put
the compressor side down if possible, that is, if the compressor was
on the right side of the cabinet I would put the right side down
against the pickup bed, if it was against the back side I would put
the back side down against the pickup bed. In many cases I only let
them stand upright for a few hours before plugging them in. I never
had any problems with them not working.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 07 Jan 2016 00:44:01 +0000, Offred
wrote:

[...]

Unplug them, let them sit for at least 24 hours, plug them back in.
I have doubts that the compressors was damaged, but you may need to let
them sit idle for a day, so the refrigerant can settle.

If that dont fix them, push them off your porch, wait a half hour, put
them back on the porch, wait a half hour, then plug them in....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I believe you can lay a refrigerator on its side if you then allow it
to sit upright for several hours, maybe a day, afterwards, before
plugging it in. Did you do that?

If yours still didnt' work, maybe there is something different about
it from the rest.

I've moved a few on their sides, stood them up for 10 or 15 minutes to
let the oil in the compresor settle, then started them up. Never a
problem.

Making topsoil G Mulcaster Home Repair 8 November 2nd 10 11:23 PM
Topsoil - How much! Bear[_2_] UK diy 15 July 6th 09 10:46 AM
Topsoil - How much! Bear[_2_] UK diy 1 July 5th 09 04:08 PM
Hoover S3341 Constellation Bagged Canister Vacuum Cleaner [email protected] Home Ownership 0 May 22nd 09 02:22 AM
Bagged a possum... [email protected] Home Repair 12 September 18th 06 05:53 AM