Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Microwave from Sears / Kmart

My parents 35 year old Hardwick microwave finally quit. They did some
research, and then went to Kmart, and bought one. Kmart is now part of the
Sears family. Under a hundred dollars later, Mom and Dad came home with a
new one.

About a week later, the unit is running, but not heating. The manual says
either return to the store for exchange, or take to a Sears authorized
repair center. Well, there is such a center near where they live, so the
microwave gets put back in the box, and carried out to the car.

Some days and a couple phone calls later, we learn that the microwave was
shipped from Rochester NY to Pittsburgh PA the repair center. It was shipped
back, because that center doesn't do microwaves. And then off to some other
center.

A robocall comes in, the unit is ready to pick up. Dad drives to the repair
center and finds out it's not there. Got sent some where else.

Finally the unit comes back, still broken. New instructions are to take it
to the store of purchase, and exchange it.

Two weeks or more later, and they still don't have a microwave. Back to
heating food and coffee on the stove, and planning meals that can reheat in
pans.

I'm not all impressed with Kmart / Sears customer service.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
My parents 35 year old Hardwick microwave finally quit. They did some
research, and then went to Kmart, and bought one. Kmart is now part of the
Sears family. Under a hundred dollars later, Mom and Dad came home with a
new one.

About a week later, the unit is running, but not heating. The manual says
either return to the store for exchange, or take to a Sears authorized
repair center. Well, there is such a center near where they live, so the
microwave gets put back in the box, and carried out to the car.

Something that new should have been taken back for exchange instead of for
repair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 9:38*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
My parents 35 year old Hardwick microwave finally quit. They did some
research, and then went to Kmart, and bought one.

About a week later, the unit is running, but not heating. The manual says
either return to the store for exchange, or take to a Sears authorized
repair center. Well, there is such a center near where they live, so the
microwave gets put back in the box, and carried out to the car.

I guess that explains why you're stupid.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/2/2013 8:38 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

I'm not at all impressed with your parents' judgement. It was a brand
new microwave, they had the option to simply return it, and instead
they decided to waste *their* time by sending it away for repair.
After that proved unsatisfactory, they apparently compounded their
poor judgement by following the store's instructions to get an
exchange instead of a refund, since it seems they still haven't got a
functional device.

They have to take personal responsibility for their bad decision. They
_chose_ to inconvenience themselves, and more than once, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My parents 35 year old Hardwick microwave finally quit. They did some
research, and then went to Kmart, and bought one.

About a week later, the unit is running, but not heating. The manual says
either return to the store for exchange, or take to a Sears authorized
repair center. Well, there is such a center near where they live, so the
microwave gets put back in the box, and carried out to the car.

I guess that explains why you're stupid.
*-----

- gpsman

Goes along with his inability not to top post.
Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 2, 2013 6:38:49 AM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

Sears executive offices Blue Ribbon center:

1-888-266-4043
or 1-800-995-2139

One of those numbers is answered only by a machine that asks you
to give an extension number. Hit any 2 digits.

Because of what my father told me about his experiences with Sears
repair service, when I bought a new washer a few years ago and
it had a chipped tub, I exchanged it rather than have Sears fix it, and
when its replacement made funny noises, I exchanged that one, too.

At least Sears still has a parts & service division, unlike crowd favorites
Target and Walmart.

BTW if you ever have to repair a microwave out of warranty (expensive
one, like an overhead or microwave-convection), electronics parts
supplies, like MCM, can be a lot cheaper than appliance parts houses.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/02/2013 09:38 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
.

You haven't shopped there in a decade or more have you?

Even Craftsman is just riding on the name these days; really, Kobalt
tools appear to be just as good and now that there are more Lowe's
stores than Sears more convenient to purchase. Haven't had to warranty
any yet however so I can't comment on that.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

[...]

I have had much the same experience. I have a defective combination Sears
MW/convection oven. The oven only goes uo to 300. I first discovered this
when it was some ten months old when my regular oven failed. Up until
then I'd only been using the MW. Requested service in late January.

First call was never followed through. Then arguments with serviceman
about whether I could get home service or have to bring it to Sears. I
can't carry it - way too heavy. Then after about three service calls they
finally gave in to permit home service. Then problems getting a
serviceman. The MW guys said they don't fix ovens, and the oven guys said
the don't fix MWs. After three or four cancelled service guys they
finally sent one who could repair the oven. Now he's made about eight
calls, ordering stuff followed by replacing stuff that doesn't fix it.
Now waiting for replacement heat sensor for replacement heat sensor.
Can't get them to replace the whole thing. About twelve or fourteen
service calls now, the fourth month now. Fortunately I bought a extended
warranty or I'd be SOL because it's over a year old and they'd probably
not continue to try to fix it under regular warranty.

I suspect they're waiting for me to give up in disgust.

Guess whose appliences I'll never buy again?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/2/2013 9:33 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

I seem to recall reading about a U.S. toolmaker who makes tools for both
Sears and Kline, I'm not sure if it was just screwdrivers but
the company makes private label tools for several well known quality
tool companies. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

[...]

Stormy:

By now in life you should know to always ignore the "STOP Do Not Return
To Store" insert.

That's there because if you do, you get credit (or exchange), the store
will return it to the manufacturer for credit to them and the mfgr eats
the cost for the POS. The mfgr wants you to do all the legwork and
inconvenience to minimize the impact to their numbers.

Let the mfgr take it up with their f'n Chinese suppliers if they don't
like my consumer approach.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2 Apr 2013 17:54:45 GMT, KenK wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

[...]

Let me guess - anything made in China???
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

[...]

On the flip side, I had a pretty decent experience with Sears Repair
Service.

I bought a Craftsman Lawn Mower with a Honda engine from Sears. 2 year
warranty.

It worked great the first season, I stored it per the manual, put fresh gas
in it in the spring and it wouldn't start. I took it in for warranty
repair, it went to PA for a couple of weeks and came back running like new.
The paperwork said something like "Cause: Bad Gas. Cleaned carburetor. Bad
gas not usually covered, will not cover bad gas under warranty again."

Do I think it was bad gas? Nope...I used the same gas in my trimmer and
chain saw that season with no problem. Do I care? Nope...I got a free
carburetor cleaning. :-)

Lawn mower has been running fine for 3 years now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, at least with this brand, we know this now.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
m...

Something that new should have been taken back for exchange instead of for
repair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Huh? Explain it to me?
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"gpsman" wrote in message

I guess that explains why you're stupid.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

Score one for the extended warranty.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"KenK" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now, that sounds like excellent advice. Thank you.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Red Green" wrote in message

Stormy:

By now in life you should know to always ignore the "STOP Do Not Return
To Store" insert.

That's there because if you do, you get credit (or exchange), the store
will return it to the manufacturer for credit to them and the mfgr eats
the cost for the POS. The mfgr wants you to do all the legwork and
inconvenience to minimize the impact to their numbers.

Let the mfgr take it up with their f'n Chinese suppliers if they don't
like my consumer approach.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 18:38:55 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Well, at least with this brand, we know this now.
.

But didn't you think that if you exchange it, you could have one
available to use immediately or did you think they repair it as you
wait?
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Chris.....You are getting smarter every day. WW
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

My parents though it would be a couple days for repair. Didn't expect it to
take this long.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
wrote:

Well, at least with this brand, we know this now.
.

But didn't you think that if you exchange it, you could have one
available to use immediately or did you think they repair it as you
wait?

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's either that, or grow old and stay the same.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"WW" wrote in message
. ..

Chris.....You are getting smarter every day. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 3, 2013 1:39:12 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
It's either that, or grow old and stay the same.

....you're old and you top-post...WTF!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 3 Apr 2013 02:37:56 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

My parents though it would be a couple days for repair. Didn't expect it to
take this long.
.

I guess I don't understand your parents' thinking. It just seems
easier and faster to exchange if that's one of the choices. Perhaps
I'm overlooking something???

Posted to alt.home.repair

The repair place is closer. Dad's a kind hearted fellow, who is willing to
let them repair the unit, rather than having to throw it out, provide
another one at a loss. He didn't figure several empty handed trips to the
repair place, and having his microwaved shiped here and there. The robocall
to come pick it up, and find it wasn't there.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
wrote:

My parents though it would be a couple days for repair. Didn't expect it

take this long.
.

I guess I don't understand your parents' thinking. It just seems
easier and faster to exchange if that's one of the choices. Perhaps
I'm overlooking something???

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Problem is, what happens when us old guys retire???The shops that have
the same guy for 20 and 30 years have a new guy "in the wings"
learning everything the old guy has learned over the last 20, 30, 40,
or 50 years??? That's the problem - at least here in Canada - and I'm
sure it's very similar in the US of A.

My dad was one of the old guys years ago. Worked for a local appliance
store as a repairman for over 15 years. Then he left and went to work for a
place that payed much beter. As he was the only repair man at the store,
they did not have a 'old guy'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sigh. My cult has been exposed. You win. Now, I've got to go get my Fred
Flinstone club and get to motivating my 17 wives, to start cooking breakfast
over the camp fire.
..
Christopher A. Young
Posting from the public library where I bathe in the sink and steal toilet
paper, to light the camp fire
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
wrote in message

Come on, who are you trying to kid. Everyone knows that Mormons dont
use microwave ovens. You guys live in caves and burn fires on the
ground to cook whatever animal you shot that day, such as a dog or cat
or possum. Mormons cant afford modern stuff, because the Mormon church
takes 99.99999% of the earnings from it's members to use to buy gold and
diamonds and fancy cars for the church and the holy rollers who run the
joint. The closest any mormon (except the holy rollers) have ever come
to a microwave is an old tube type tv you guys found in the dump and
shorted some wires inside to make it get real hot when you connect it to
the power outlet behind the church on Saturday nights when you all
congregate back there to get drunk on ho-made shine!

PrazzeDaLurdGeezusss Ahhhmunnn

Posted to alt.home.repair

Many US companies are terminating the old guys, and bring in new kids who
will work for less. Of course, the quality and customer service suffers.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
wrote in message

Problem is, what happens when us old guys retire???The shops that have
the same guy for 20 and 30 years have a new guy "in the wings"
learning everything the old guy has learned over the last 20, 30, 40,
or 50 years??? That's the problem - at least here in Canada - and I'm
sure it's very similar in the US of A.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 4 Apr 2013 09:56:41 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Many US companies are terminating the old guys, and bring in new kids who
will work for less. Of course, the quality and customer service suffers.

My CPoE hires up all of the "old guys" they can find (and fills out
with HB-1s). My boss specifically looks for engineers over forty, over
fifty if he can find them. The pups are know-nothings. I don't work
for a US company anymore, though.

Actually, when I was looking for work a couple of years ago, I found
just as much reverse age-discrimination as classical discrimination.
Was I discriminated against? Sure (some were amazingly blatant) but
even more the other way. They were looking for experienced people.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 3 Apr 2013 20:10:35 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

The repair place is closer. Dad's a kind hearted fellow, who is willing to
let them repair the unit, rather than having to throw it out, provide
another one at a loss. He didn't figure several empty handed trips to the
repair place, and having his microwaved shiped here and there. The robocall
to come pick it up, and find it wasn't there.
.

I guess the old saying applies here sadly....
Nice guys finish last !!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:kjkkrc
:

Me and the guys I work with are all disabled in one way or another and
we couldn't hold a normal job with normal hours so we work as
independent contractors running service calls and doing installations.
If I push myself too hard on a job it may take me several days to
recover but I git-r-done. We get calls all the time to straighten out a
mess that Billy Bob or Sammy Slacker slammed in and walked off. I have
to leave in a few minutes to check out a phone system at an auto parts
store that has a dead line. Tomorrow I have a customer call system to
reprogram at a big retail store. There is an amazing amount of work out
there if you want to work and are semiconscious, semi-literate and
possess some sort of technical skills. ^_^

TDD

Thank the lord for experts like you who keep the world running.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I must agree with that.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Doug" wrote in message

I guess the old saying applies here sadly....
Nice guys finish last !!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can always tell when the other guy works on one of the boxes I service. He
leaves all the packaging, parts, pieces, cut ends of wires, etc. I'm
semiconscious and semiliterate.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Me and the guys I work with are all disabled in one way or another and
we couldn't hold a normal job with normal hours so we work as
independent contractors running service calls and doing installations.
If I push myself too hard on a job it may take me several days to
recover but I git-r-done. We get calls all the time to straighten out a
mess that Billy Bob or Sammy Slacker slammed in and walked off. I have
to leave in a few minutes to check out a phone system at an auto parts
store that has a dead line. Tomorrow I have a customer call system to
reprogram at a big retail store. There is an amazing amount of work out
there if you want to work and are semiconscious, semi-literate and
possess some sort of technical skills. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2013 2:22 PM, MoTown wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the sentiment but an expert is a former drip. ^_^

When I hear someone say they can't find a job I want to slap them upside
the head and scream at them, "Don't you know how to do anything?!" There
is work out there if you ever bothered to learn
how technology works and how to keep it running. I repair stuff I've
never seen before because I know how things work, I know who to ask
and I can communicate with tech support over the phone. Last summer,
me and JH drove to Tupelo, MS several times because the energy
management system at a drug store wasn't working and Billy Bob HVAC
tried to hook it up but wandered off mumbling to himself. I followed the
instructions from the energy management system company tech support
to hook the wiring up to the rooftop package units and headed back home
to Alabamastan. We got a call the next day that it was hot in the office
and the remote monitoring showed high temperatures and no current draw
by the compressors. We traveled back to Tupelo and I started a study of
the control system for the rooftop package units. Me and JH, two old
disabled guys climbed a 20' interior ladder onto a roof in 105°F weather
where we got 2nd degree burns from all the metal we touched up there.
I hooked my gauges up to the Trane commercial package unit and manually
operated it and found nothing wrong with the compressor or refrigerant
charge. I spent 5 minutes looking at the diagram and control system
before yelling WTF!, "What's The Function!" I had never worked on that
particular Trane model which had a proprietary digital control system
that worked with a proprietary Trane digital thermostat. In order to get
it to talk to a standard thermostat which is the language spoken by
the energy management system, the unit needed an optional Trane circuit
board which allowed it to speak standard thermostat. A quick loud WTF
call to corporate to get the control board shipped and we returned to
that darned hot roof a few days later to install the circuit board and
everything worked as desired. Billy Bob HVAC Company was clueless about
energy management control systems and I've had to repair a number of the
evil things all over the place while yelling at corporate because they
got some dumbass to improperly install the equipment to start with.
That's basically the kind of thing me and JH wind up doing on a
regular basis. I wound up going behind an AT&T tech today to get a phone
line back up at an auto parts store. I uploaded the paperwork an hour
ago. o_O

TDD