Posted to alt.home.repair
KenK KenK is offline

Default Microwave from Sears / Kmart

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

My parents 35 year old Hardwick microwave finally quit. They did some
research, and then went to Kmart, and bought one. Kmart is now part of
the Sears family. Under a hundred dollars later, Mom and Dad came home
with a new one.

About a week later, the unit is running, but not heating. The manual
says either return to the store for exchange, or take to a Sears
authorized repair center. Well, there is such a center near where they
live, so the microwave gets put back in the box, and carried out to
the car.

Some days and a couple phone calls later, we learn that the microwave
was shipped from Rochester NY to Pittsburgh PA the repair center. It
was shipped back, because that center doesn't do microwaves. And then
off to some other center.

A robocall comes in, the unit is ready to pick up. Dad drives to the
repair center and finds out it's not there. Got sent some where else.

Finally the unit comes back, still broken. New instructions are to
take it to the store of purchase, and exchange it.

Two weeks or more later, and they still don't have a microwave. Back
to heating food and coffee on the stove, and planning meals that can
reheat in pans.

I'm not all impressed with Kmart / Sears customer service.
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
.

I have had much the same experience. I have a defective combination Sears
MW/convection oven. The oven only goes uo to 300. I first discovered this
when it was some ten months old when my regular oven failed. Up until
then I'd only been using the MW. Requested service in late January.

First call was never followed through. Then arguments with serviceman
about whether I could get home service or have to bring it to Sears. I
can't carry it - way too heavy. Then after about three service calls they
finally gave in to permit home service. Then problems getting a
serviceman. The MW guys said they don't fix ovens, and the oven guys said
the don't fix MWs. After three or four cancelled service guys they
finally sent one who could repair the oven. Now he's made about eight
calls, ordering stuff followed by replacing stuff that doesn't fix it.
Now waiting for replacement heat sensor for replacement heat sensor.
Can't get them to replace the whole thing. About twelve or fourteen
service calls now, the fourth month now. Fortunately I bought a extended
warranty or I'd be SOL because it's over a year old and they'd probably
not continue to try to fix it under regular warranty.

I suspect they're waiting for me to give up in disgust.

Guess whose appliences I'll never buy again?