Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I'm off to buy (another) miter saw

I've been waiting anxiously for Harbor Freight's sale (Today, Saturday, and
Sunday) to pick up their new "Double-Bevel," 12-inch sliding miter saw. This
weekend it's only $119.00. (save $510 over comparable Bosch 5312)

The double-bevel deal means that the table rotates 45d left/right AND the
saw itself tilts 45d left and right. Look down at the saw, the blade pivots
to the left/right; look straight at the saw and the blade rotates 45d
clockwise and counter-clockwise.

Oodles of other stuff is on sale: 7-function multimeter for $2.00 is an
example or a 1/4 and 3/8 socket set for $4.00. Things to stick in the
toolbox for those rare occasions when you run into an unexpected need.

I presume the saw will function as expected. When I get the sucker home, and
set up, I'll report back on any surprises (positive or negative).

If you don't hear from me, you may assume a) No surprises, or b) I'm laid up
in the hospital.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 1, 1:34*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

Didn't we just go through this? Do you really think that a $119 HF
saw is "comparable" to a Bosch 5312?

If we compare no other specs, let's just compare warranties: HF: 90
days, Bosch: 1 year. That has to tell you something about the quality
of the tool right there.

Beside, you can get the Bosch for $556.50 on Amazon, with free
shipping. That cuts your "savings" to $437, *if* they were comparable.

When you come back to tell us about your new saw, will it be after a
side-by-side, feature-by-feature comparison with the Bosch?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 13:41:00 -0600, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

On Fri, 1 Mar 2013 10:51:30 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Mar 1, 1:34*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

Excellent points.

Buy quality and cry once — buy cheap and cry forever.

You made an excellent point too...
I recall my mom saying my dad (in the business) bought a lot of tools
before or about the time I was born when they didn't really have the
money and bought the best or near the best tools at the time. Well,
as far as I know, he never had to replace them tho he did have to do
minor maintenance on them thru the years. Bottom line... buying
quality is worth your while. I have some of them now tho I don't use
them much and gave some away.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Doug wrote in
:

wrote:

On Mar 1, 1:34*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

Sometimes buying lower quality allows you to lay out less, test the
techniques with that machine, and buy higher quality when you want to.
Sort of going from a biscuit joiner to a Domino (g,d,r).

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/1/2013 12:34 PM, HeyBub wrote:
I've been waiting anxiously for Harbor Freight's sale (Today, Saturday, and
Sunday) to pick up their new "Double-Bevel," 12-inch sliding miter saw. This
weekend it's only $119.00. (save $510 over comparable Bosch 5312)

Well, other than containing the words "miter", "saw", "bevel", etc., I'd
not say it'll likely be "comparable" to the Bosch (or DeWalt, even).

Serviceable, perhaps...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Mar 2013 12:34:45 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

I've been waiting anxiously for Harbor Freight's sale (Today, Saturday, and
Sunday) to pick up their new "Double-Bevel," 12-inch sliding miter saw. This
weekend it's only $119.00. (save $510 over comparable Bosch 5312)

It's *NOT* comparable.

If you don't hear from me, you may assume a) No surprises, or b) I'm laid up
in the hospital.

Have fun! ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01 Mar 2013 21:25:04 GMT, Han wrote:

Doug wrote in
:

wrote:

On Mar 1, 1:34*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

If that were the way I worked, I'd *never* buy a Domino. I have a
biscuit joiner and hate the thing. OTOH, I haven't bought a Domino,
either. Yet. ;-)

No, I'm a long-time member of the pain-once club.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/01/2013 01:34 PM, HeyBub wrote:
I've been waiting anxiously for Harbor Freight's sale (Today, Saturday, and
Sunday) to pick up their new "Double-Bevel," 12-inch sliding miter saw. This
weekend it's only $119.00. (save $510 over comparable Bosch 5312)

You've obviously never used true professional grade tools.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mar 1, 1:34*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

There are plus's and minus's to every strategy. Does a $200 saw
really cut 2x4's better then a $30 saw if you are just slapping up
framing? My dad worked construction all his life and went thru
several iterations of tools. He had to keep in mind the likelihood of
it getting stolen, how often it would need fixing, the cost, the
weight, etc. For some things, like a "skillsaw" he concluded it made
a lot more sense to just buy a cheap one and if it was shot at the end
of the project then just go buy a new one. Lots less hassle then
worrying about a helper breaking it, or someone stealing it, or the
time and trouble of taking it somewhere for repair plus the better
ones, at least at that time, weighed a lot more then the cheap ones
and were more tiring to use. I'd definitely get the HF double swivel
saw if it would serve the needs of my one or two times I might ever
need it. Surely you'd know within the 30 day window if it's a dud and
could take it back and buy a better one for 3 or 4 times the price.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mar 1, 1:34*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

If you're just slapping up framing you don't need an SCMS.

My dad worked construction all his life and went thru
several iterations of tools. He had to keep in mind the likelihood of
it getting stolen, how often it would need fixing, the cost, the
weight, etc. For some things, like a "skillsaw" he concluded it made
a lot more sense to just buy a cheap one and if it was shot at the end
of the project then just go buy a new one.

Nonsense. I know of no tradesman that buys HF circular saws. There
*IS* a difference and time is money.

Lots less hassle then
worrying about a helper breaking it, or someone stealing it, or the
time and trouble of taking it somewhere for repair plus the better
ones, at least at that time, weighed a lot more then the cheap ones
and were more tiring to use.

They might not buy a Festool, either, but I haven't seen any that
didn't buy Makita, DeWalt, or similar.

I'd definitely get the HF double swivel
saw if it would serve the needs of my one or two times I might ever
need it. Surely you'd know within the 30 day window if it's a dud and
could take it back and buy a better one for 3 or 4 times the price.

Attempted goal post relocation noted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I presume the saw will function as expected. When I get the sucker home, and
set up, I'll report back on any surprises (positive or negative).

Make some cuts before you do anything else. I'd like to know if they
are close to precise, accurate, etc. Good enough for government work
and all...

Once "tuned" or adjusted are they as precise and accurate, as say a
better saw.

I looked at the manual for this saw last time it came up here. Seems
there was lack of instructions as to how to "tune" the saw.

The instructions never mentioned what tools to use when doing the
adjustments.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 19:06:24 -0500, devnull wrote:

On 03/01/2013 01:34 PM, HeyBub wrote:
I've been waiting anxiously for Harbor Freight's sale (Today, Saturday, and
Sunday) to pick up their new "Double-Bevel," 12-inch sliding miter saw. This
weekend it's only $119.00. (save $510 over comparable Bosch 5312)

You've obviously never used true professional grade tools.

I do have an HF (10") SCMS. I also have a Bosch 5312. While there is
a world of difference, I still use the HF to whack 2x4s. I don't care
if it gets wet. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 15:38:01 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 3/1/2013 12:34 PM, HeyBub wrote:
I've been waiting anxiously for Harbor Freight's sale (Today, Saturday, and
Sunday) to pick up their new "Double-Bevel," 12-inch sliding miter saw. This
weekend it's only $119.00. (save $510 over comparable Bosch 5312)

Well, other than containing the words "miter", "saw", "bevel", etc., I'd
not say it'll likely be "comparable" to the Bosch (or DeWalt, even).

Serviceable, perhaps...

Service means putting a $60.00 blade on a $119.00 saw?

Say it ain't so
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 16:54:21 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 15:38:01 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 3/1/2013 12:34 PM, HeyBub wrote:
I've been waiting anxiously for Harbor Freight's sale (Today, Saturday, and
Sunday) to pick up their new "Double-Bevel," 12-inch sliding miter saw. This
weekend it's only $119.00. (save $510 over comparable Bosch 5312)

Well, other than containing the words "miter", "saw", "bevel", etc., I'd
not say it'll likely be "comparable" to the Bosch (or DeWalt, even).

Serviceable, perhaps...

Service means putting a $60.00 blade on a $119.00 saw?

Say it ain't so

$60? You buy cheap blades.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/202...-90-tooth.aspx

It's on sale, too!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 19:26:59 -0500, wrote:

There are plus's and minus's to every strategy. Does a $200 saw
really cut 2x4's better then a $30 saw if you are just slapping up
framing?

If you're just slapping up framing you don't need an SCMS.

A good hand will work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 20:00:17 -0500, wrote:

Serviceable, perhaps...

Service means putting a $60.00 blade on a $119.00 saw?

Say it ain't so

$60? You buy cheap blades.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/202...-90-tooth.aspx

It's on sale, too!

You can cut some 2 by 4 with that nice blade. :-\
Senior Member

DerbyDad:

You're missing the point entirely.

HeyBub can buy almost as much fun from Harbour Freight for $119 as he can from Amazon for $556.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 20:00:17 -0500, wrote:

Serviceable, perhaps...

Service means putting a $60.00 blade on a $119.00 saw?

Say it ain't so

$60? You buy cheap blades.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/202...-90-tooth.aspx

It's on sale, too!

You can cut some 2 by 4 with that nice blade. :-\

Framing cut with a $152 blade will look real nice...right up until the time
you cover it with drywall or sheathing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Oren wrote:
On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 20:00:17 -0500, wrote:

Serviceable, perhaps...

Service means putting a $60.00 blade on a $119.00 saw?

Say it ain't so

$60? You buy cheap blades.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/202...-90-tooth.aspx

It's on sale, too!

You can cut some 2 by 4 with that nice blade. :-\

Framing cut with a $152 blade will look real nice...right up until the time
you cover it with drywall or sheathing.

When I bought my hitachi, it came with a rough low tooth count blade. Just
what was recommended cutting my plastic decking. Still got some melted
polystyrene on blade though !

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 17:09:39 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 20:00:17 -0500, wrote:

Serviceable, perhaps...

Service means putting a $60.00 blade on a $119.00 saw?

Say it ain't so

$60? You buy cheap blades.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/202...-90-tooth.aspx

It's on sale, too!

You can cut some 2 by 4 with that nice blade. :-\

You don't want to get a splinter, do you? ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I presume the saw will function as expected. When I get the sucker home,
and
set up, I'll report back on any surprises (positive or negative).

Make some cuts before you do anything else. I'd like to know if they
are close to precise, accurate, etc. Good enough for government work
and all...

Once "tuned" or adjusted are they as precise and accurate, as say a
better saw.

I looked at the manual for this saw last time it came up here. Seems
there was lack of instructions as to how to "tune" the saw.

The instructions never mentioned what tools to use when doing the
adjustments.

I bought a 12" Bosch about 4 years ago. Looked hard at the Makita but got
the Bosch.
Glad I did. For me (age 71) it's almost orgasmic to use a tool that's
designed and built
as well. It's just a real pleasure to use. I've owned others but none as
good.
My old Kraut father taught me to always buy right once. I glad he did.
That said, I now wish I got the 10" slider instead of the 12". It's really
a big SOB.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 2 Mar 2013 04:34:18 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

If you're just slapping up framing you don't need an SCMS.

Oren Fixed- A good hand [saw] will work.

Using a hammer is less painful, though.

Using a hammer on a hand is less painful? I'm not so sure about that.

Sure. When your hand hurts, hammer your head once or twice. The pain
subsides on the throbbing hand or swollen thumb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 1, 1:51*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Didn't we just go through this? *Do you really think that a $119 HF
saw is "comparable" to a Bosch 5312?

Everything is comparable.

If we compare no other specs, let's just compare warranties: HF: 90
days, Bosch: 1 year. That has to tell you something about the quality
of the tool right there.

Tells me more about you being willing to compare things based on 1
parameter.

Beside, you can get the Bosch for $556.50 on Amazon, with free
shipping. That cuts your "savings" to $437, *if* they were comparable.

The question is, is the Bosch worth $437 more for homeowner use?

And there is a matter of convenience, speed of acquisition and return,
availability of stock, and return policies.

When you come back to tell us about your new saw, will it be after a
side-by-side, feature-by-feature comparison with the Bosch?

How long since I last pointed out you don't think gud?
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DISREGARD !

HeyBub wrote:
[...]

================================
The sale is NEXT weekend, 8th, 9th, and 10th!
================================

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Mar 1, 1:34 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

You raise a couple of good, though rebuttable, points.

* Warranty. One can purchase an extended warranty at HF and still be way
below the Bosch price.

* As for me, I'm an amateur and unwilling to pay professional prices for
amateur projects.

If I go bowling once every six months, I'm happy to rent the shoes at the
bowling alley for $3.00 instead of laying out $60.00 for my own personal
pair.

I don't own a 22' truck so I'll be ready to move a bunch of stuff (if ever).
Instead, I'll simply rent one from U-Haul when the need arises. I'm quite
satisfied to own a $5.00 water shut-off key instead of a $200.00 motorized
one.

Point is, a $100 tool allows me to do the same things, perhaps not as well,
as a $600 model. The difference is not between a $100 and a $600 tool; the
difference is between $100 tool and nothing.

I understand the motivations of those who want the best possible tool. But
I'm not in that group. I have different needs and derive my satisfaction in
a job differently. If any would rather do without a (sort-of) suitable tool,
more power to them.

In passing, I'll note that if using an "inferior" tool results is something
less than acceptable, I'll plant ivy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 2 Mar 2013 03:42:38 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

When I bought my hitachi, it came with a rough low tooth count blade. Just
what was recommended cutting my plastic decking. Still got some melted
polystyrene on blade though !

Greg

My De Walt came with an OK, but not great blade. I lent the saw to
someone doing laminate flooring figuring he would trash the blade and
he pretty much did. I sent it to Ridge Carbide for sharpening and
WOW, better than new.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Mar 2013 21:59:05 -0800 (PST), gpsman
wrote:

On Mar 1, 1:51Â*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Didn't we just go through this? Â*Do you really think that a $119 HF
saw is "comparable" to a Bosch 5312?

Everything is comparable.

If we compare no other specs, let's just compare warranties: HF: 90
days, Bosch: 1 year. That has to tell you something about the quality
of the tool right there.

Tells me more about you being willing to compare things based on 1
parameter.

Beside, you can get the Bosch for $556.50 on Amazon, with free
shipping. That cuts your "savings" to $437, *if* they were comparable.

The question is, is the Bosch worth $437 more for homeowner use?

Yep. AFAIK, Heybub won't be using the saw for production work.
I bought a Craftsman 10" SCMS for $119 - on sale. Reg price was about
$159.. Sears is always jacking around prices and "models."
Close to this one
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10inc...1&blockType=G1
Looks like the fence is different, and marked, and they added
extensions to the bed. All useless to me. Mine has the laser too.
I pooh-poohed that, but it's nice.
Happened to be on sale when my wife pushed me to put up crown molding
in 3 rooms. Worked fine. Accurate out of the box, no fine tuning
necessary. With crown - or base/shoe - if you have 90 degree corners
on the rooms, you don't need to bevel. It's all 45/90 miter
adjustment.
But I used bevel for new baseboard and it was accurate too. Only used
bevel because the 10" was too small for the width of the work pieces.
The motor would hit a standing work piece when sliding. Think the
pieces were 4 1/2" or 5" A 12" saw would have made it easier, but I
worked around it by reversing the saw adjustment and work pieces.
So bigger would have been better for that job. But it was the 10" on
sale and it worked. Since doing the house woodwork, I've only used
the saw for chopping 2x4's.
So should I have spent +5 bills for a saw? Don't think so.
I don't know about the durability of these cheap SCMS saws, and don't
care, since I don't make my living with them.
But cutting accuracy on these only relies on a good slide, tight motor
shaft bearings, stiff motor mount to the slides, good detents and
solid adjustment gripping hardware. If they get that right, you're
good to go. All that has lasted long enough for my purposes, so the
"durability" was there.
Beats the hell out of the "good" 12" Delta radial arm I had in terms
of accurate cuts.
If I ever use my cheap 10" SCMS for accurate work again, and find it's
gone rogue on me, I'll just buy another cheap one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mar 1, 1:34 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

Have to remember that the OP is "heybub". So given their posting history
who knows what they are actually doing...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Mar 1, 1:34 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

My objection wasn't related to an amateur's use of the saw vs. a pro's use.
My objection was related to your use of the word "comparable".

If we go by definition #1 below, then your use of the word "comparable" is
fine. Both the HF and Bosch are "similar." They are both 12" sliding miter
saws.

However, if we go by definition #2, and bring "equivalent quality" into the
discussion, then the word "comparable" doesn't fit.

I can only speak for myself, but when I see a statement like "save $510
over comparable Bosch 5312" I lean towards thinking the speaker is using
definition number #2. Maybe that stems from my dislike of sleazy sales
critters.

From that perspective, I don't see the 2 saws as "comparable".

com·pa·ra·ble

/ˈkämp(ə)rəbəl/

Adjective

1. Able to be likened to another; similar.

2. Of equivalent quality; worthy of comparison.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

OK, I see your point. My use of "comparable" was hyperbole - exaggeration
for the purpose of emphasis. On the other hand, my intended use DOES rank
the two saws as "comparable." They both chop 2x4s, they both (probably) make
90d cuts. They both look pretty.

Good enough for me. I should have made that point more clear.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02 Mar 2013 19:16:53 GMT, Han wrote:

wrote in :

On 01 Mar 2013 21:25:04 GMT, Han wrote:

snip

Sometimes buying lower quality allows you to lay out less, test the
techniques with that machine, and buy higher quality when you want to.
Sort of going from a biscuit joiner to a Domino (g,d,r).

If that were the way I worked, I'd *never* buy a Domino. I have a
biscuit joiner and hate the thing. OTOH, I haven't bought a Domino,
either. Yet. ;-)

No, I'm a long-time member of the pain-once club.

I have a biscuit joiner for sale. So far only nibbles, no takers.

I used my biscuit jointer once, too sloppy. It's a PC, so it's one of
the better ones but I couldn't align the boards (edge gluing) worth
squat.

As the Festoolers have said, you buy a Domino and that is automagically a
30-day trial (I forget the specifics). There must be a local hardware
store near you that sells it ... Then let us know what you do at the end
of the trial.

Sure, there are loads of places that sell them. There's a Woodcraft
and a Rocklers (was there today) just on the other side of town, but I
much prefer Highland Woodworking as a Festool disty (they have
everything in stock). Haven't wanted to pony up the $900, yet,
though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Mar 2013 23:30:23 -0600, "Dick Keats"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I thought I'd rather have had the 10", too, after I got my 5213. One
of the first things I did was cut 2x6s to build knee walls in the
attic above the garage (think bonus room). Since the roof has a 15:12
pitch, I was glad I had the bigger blade. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I bought a 12" Bosch about 4 years ago. Looked hard at the Makita but got
the Bosch.
Glad I did. For me (age 71) it's almost orgasmic to use a tool that's
designed and built
as well. It's just a real pleasure to use. I've owned others but none as
good.
My old Kraut father taught me to always buy right once. I glad he did.
That said, I now wish I got the 10" slider instead of the 12". It's really
a big SOB.

I bought me a 12" CMS 10 years ago, DeWalt. I later bought a Rigid
SUV (saw utility vehicle). Many saws will fit in the mounting holes.

Just roll the saw on sight and cut trim, flooring, crown and other
needs. ~ 5 houses with 5,000 sq. ft. plus some extra. My saw has seen
some days. It was used the other day.

Fold it up in a second then roll it to the truck.

Like this one:

http://www.betterimprovement.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/miter-saw-stand-utility-vehicles.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I bought a 12" Bosch about 4 years ago. Looked hard at the Makita but got
the Bosch.
Glad I did. For me (age 71) it's almost orgasmic to use a tool that's
designed and built
as well. It's just a real pleasure to use. I've owned others but none as
good.
My old Kraut father taught me to always buy right once. I glad he did.
That said, I now wish I got the 10" slider instead of the 12". It's really
a big SOB.

I bought me a 12" CMS 10 years ago, DeWalt. I later bought a Rigid
SUV (saw utility vehicle). Many saws will fit in the mounting holes.

I have the Bosch equivalent on my DeWalt planer and use a DeWalt stand
on my Bosch SCMS (and HF, when I use it).

Just roll the saw on sight and cut trim, flooring, crown and other
needs. ~ 5 houses with 5,000 sq. ft. plus some extra. My saw has seen
some days. It was used the other day.

I much prefer the DeWalt stand. The supports are much better and it
really isn't any fun rolling the stand around. It's awkward because
you can't take a full stride (feet can't go under the legs).

Fold it up in a second then roll it to the truck.

Like this one:

http://www.betterimprovement.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/miter-saw-stand-utility-vehicles.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/2/2013 1:19 PM, HeyBub wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Tough call. If you made normal posts you wouldn't attract as much
attention to yourself...