Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I'm off to buy (another) miter saw

George wrote:

OK, I see your point. My use of "comparable" was hyperbole -
exaggeration for the purpose of emphasis. On the other hand, my
intended use DOES rank the two saws as "comparable." They both chop
2x4s, they both (probably) make 90d cuts. They both look pretty.

Good enough for me. I should have made that point more clear.

Tough call. If you made normal posts you wouldn't attract as much
attention to yourself...

If, by "normal," you mean gratitous insults, profanity for profanity's sake,
or other posts of an excitable nature often seen here, then I'm afraid
you'll continue to be disappointed.

I don't do "normal." When I make a mistake, or an error is called to my
attention, I almost always acknowledge it, often apologizing for conveying
the wrong information. When another poster offers an explanation or a
reference link, I often thank them for the trouble.

Admittedly, these actions are not "normal," but it's what I do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 12:59*am, gpsman wrote:
On Mar 1, 1:51*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Didn't we just go through this? *Do you really think that a $119 HF
saw is "comparable" to a Bosch 5312?

Everything is comparable.

If we compare no other specs, let's just compare warranties: HF: 90
days, Bosch: 1 year. That has to tell you something about the quality
of the tool right there.

Tells me more about you being willing to compare things based on 1
parameter.

Did you miss, or just choose to ignore, the first part of that
statement?

"If we compare no other specs..."

No decision should be made based on that one parameter, but the
willingness of a company to provide a lengthy warranty should carry a
lot of weight in the decision process.

Beside, you can get the Bosch for $556.50 on Amazon, with free
shipping. That cuts your "savings" to $437, *if* they were comparable.

The question is, is the Bosch worth $437 more for homeowner use?

As I pointed out to HeyBub, the issue is not with homeowner use vs.
pro use, it's with the use of the word "comparable." See my response
where I show 2 different definitions of "comparable" and how one fits
and one doesn't. HeyBub expanded on his use of the word "comparable"
and we are now on the same page.

And there is a matter of convenience, speed of acquisition and return,
availability of stock, and return policies.

....and quality of item and length of warranty.

When you come back to tell us about your new saw, will it be after a
side-by-side, feature-by-feature comparison with the Bosch?

How long since I last pointed out you don't think gud?
*-----

- gpsman