Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default I'm off to buy (another) miter saw

On Fri, 1 Mar 2013 21:59:05 -0800 (PST), gpsman
wrote:

On Mar 1, 1:51Â*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Didn't we just go through this? Â*Do you really think that a $119 HF
saw is "comparable" to a Bosch 5312?

Everything is comparable.

If we compare no other specs, let's just compare warranties: HF: 90
days, Bosch: 1 year. That has to tell you something about the quality
of the tool right there.

Tells me more about you being willing to compare things based on 1
parameter.

Beside, you can get the Bosch for $556.50 on Amazon, with free
shipping. That cuts your "savings" to $437, *if* they were comparable.

The question is, is the Bosch worth $437 more for homeowner use?

Yep. AFAIK, Heybub won't be using the saw for production work.
I bought a Craftsman 10" SCMS for $119 - on sale. Reg price was about
$159.. Sears is always jacking around prices and "models."
Close to this one
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10inc...1&blockType=G1
Looks like the fence is different, and marked, and they added
extensions to the bed. All useless to me. Mine has the laser too.
I pooh-poohed that, but it's nice.
Happened to be on sale when my wife pushed me to put up crown molding
in 3 rooms. Worked fine. Accurate out of the box, no fine tuning
necessary. With crown - or base/shoe - if you have 90 degree corners
on the rooms, you don't need to bevel. It's all 45/90 miter
adjustment.
But I used bevel for new baseboard and it was accurate too. Only used
bevel because the 10" was too small for the width of the work pieces.
The motor would hit a standing work piece when sliding. Think the
pieces were 4 1/2" or 5" A 12" saw would have made it easier, but I
worked around it by reversing the saw adjustment and work pieces.
So bigger would have been better for that job. But it was the 10" on
sale and it worked. Since doing the house woodwork, I've only used
the saw for chopping 2x4's.
So should I have spent +5 bills for a saw? Don't think so.
I don't know about the durability of these cheap SCMS saws, and don't
care, since I don't make my living with them.
But cutting accuracy on these only relies on a good slide, tight motor
shaft bearings, stiff motor mount to the slides, good detents and
solid adjustment gripping hardware. If they get that right, you're
good to go. All that has lasted long enough for my purposes, so the
"durability" was there.
Beats the hell out of the "good" 12" Delta radial arm I had in terms
of accurate cuts.
If I ever use my cheap 10" SCMS for accurate work again, and find it's
gone rogue on me, I'll just buy another cheap one.