Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default I'm off to buy (another) miter saw

"HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Mar 1, 1:34 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
I've been waiting anxiously for Harbor Freight's sale (Today,
Saturday, and Sunday) to pick up their new "Double-Bevel," 12-inch
sliding miter saw. This weekend it's only $119.00. (save $510 over
comparable Bosch 5312)

The double-bevel deal means that the table rotates 45d left/right
AND the saw itself tilts 45d left and right. Look down at the saw,
the blade pivots to the left/right; look straight at the saw and the
blade rotates 45d clockwise and counter-clockwise.

Oodles of other stuff is on sale: 7-function multimeter for $2.00 is
an example or a 1/4 and 3/8 socket set for $4.00. Things to stick in
the toolbox for those rare occasions when you run into an unexpected
need.

I presume the saw will function as expected. When I get the sucker
home, and set up, I'll report back on any surprises (positive or
negative).

If you don't hear from me, you may assume a) No surprises, or b) I'm
laid up in the hospital.

Didn't we just go through this? Do you really think that a $119 HF
saw is "comparable" to a Bosch 5312?

If we compare no other specs, let's just compare warranties: HF: 90
days, Bosch: 1 year. That has to tell you something about the quality
of the tool right there.

Beside, you can get the Bosch for $556.50 on Amazon, with free
shipping. That cuts your "savings" to $437, *if* they were comparable.

When you come back to tell us about your new saw, will it be after a
side-by-side, feature-by-feature comparison with the Bosch?

You raise a couple of good, though rebuttable, points.

* Warranty. One can purchase an extended warranty at HF and still be way
below the Bosch price.

* As for me, I'm an amateur and unwilling to pay professional prices for
amateur projects.

If I go bowling once every six months, I'm happy to rent the shoes at the
bowling alley for $3.00 instead of laying out $60.00 for my own personal
pair.

I don't own a 22' truck so I'll be ready to move a bunch of stuff (if ever).
Instead, I'll simply rent one from U-Haul when the need arises. I'm quite
satisfied to own a $5.00 water shut-off key instead of a $200.00 motorized
one.

Point is, a $100 tool allows me to do the same things, perhaps not as well,
as a $600 model. The difference is not between a $100 and a $600 tool; the
difference is between $100 tool and nothing.

I understand the motivations of those who want the best possible tool. But
I'm not in that group. I have different needs and derive my satisfaction in
a job differently. If any would rather do without a (sort-of) suitable tool,
more power to them.

In passing, I'll note that if using an "inferior" tool results is something
less than acceptable, I'll plant ivy.

My objection wasn't related to an amateur's use of the saw vs. a pro's use.
My objection was related to your use of the word "comparable".

If we go by definition #1 below, then your use of the word "comparable" is
fine. Both the HF and Bosch are "similar." They are both 12" sliding miter
saws.

However, if we go by definition #2, and bring "equivalent quality" into the
discussion, then the word "comparable" doesn't fit.

I can only speak for myself, but when I see a statement like "save $510
over comparable Bosch 5312" I lean towards thinking the speaker is using
definition number #2. Maybe that stems from my dislike of sleazy sales
critters.

From that perspective, I don't see the 2 saws as "comparable".

com·pa·ra·ble

/ˈkämp(ə)rəbəl/

Adjective

1. Able to be likened to another; similar.

2. Of equivalent quality; worthy of comparison.