Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default I'm off to buy (another) miter saw

DerbyDad03 wrote:

You raise a couple of good, though rebuttable, points.

* Warranty. One can purchase an extended warranty at HF and still be
way below the Bosch price.

* As for me, I'm an amateur and unwilling to pay professional prices
for amateur projects.

If I go bowling once every six months, I'm happy to rent the shoes
at the bowling alley for $3.00 instead of laying out $60.00 for my
own personal pair.

I don't own a 22' truck so I'll be ready to move a bunch of stuff
(if ever). Instead, I'll simply rent one from U-Haul when the need
arises. I'm quite satisfied to own a $5.00 water shut-off key
instead of a $200.00 motorized one.

Point is, a $100 tool allows me to do the same things, perhaps not
as well, as a $600 model. The difference is not between a $100 and a
$600 tool; the difference is between $100 tool and nothing.

I understand the motivations of those who want the best possible
tool. But I'm not in that group. I have different needs and derive
my satisfaction in a job differently. If any would rather do without
a (sort-of) suitable tool, more power to them.

In passing, I'll note that if using an "inferior" tool results is
something less than acceptable, I'll plant ivy.

My objection wasn't related to an amateur's use of the saw vs. a
pro's use. My objection was related to your use of the word
"comparable".

If we go by definition #1 below, then your use of the word
"comparable" is fine. Both the HF and Bosch are "similar." They are
both 12" sliding miter saws.

However, if we go by definition #2, and bring "equivalent quality"
into the discussion, then the word "comparable" doesn't fit.

I can only speak for myself, but when I see a statement like "save
$510 over comparable Bosch 5312" I lean towards thinking the speaker
is using definition number #2. Maybe that stems from my dislike of
sleazy sales critters.

OK, I see your point. My use of "comparable" was hyperbole - exaggeration
for the purpose of emphasis. On the other hand, my intended use DOES rank
the two saws as "comparable." They both chop 2x4s, they both (probably) make
90d cuts. They both look pretty.

Good enough for me. I should have made that point more clear.