Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default Prepping: Using a vehicle's fuel pump to transfer gasoline...

Awl --

So ahm DoomsDay Prepping over here, altho I did blow my N'Yawk chance for an
array of assault weapons.... sigh
Proly just as well, as I'm too cheap to pay bux for that kind of ammo.....
I'd proly get $-per-bullet chest pains at target practice.... lol....

Plus, with the 500 gals of gasoline I plan on storing, I figger there's more
than enough gas there for a ****load of molotov cocktails, which should keep
the marauding cocksuckers at bay for a while.....

But since the consensus seems to be that gas does indeed go bad after a year
or so, I figgered instead of mule-ing boucou gas cans to and fro (Sandy,
boyzngerlz?), if I could tap into the fuel line and jump the fuel pump, I
could use the vehicle itself as a "transfer station" -- more specifically,
to take fresh gas from the vehicle's tank, and deposit it into my 500 gal
stash.
Then, to fill up the vehicle from my stash (for recycling, shortage,
whatever), I'd just use a gas-friendly electric xsfer pump attached to the
storage container.

So basically, the Q is:
How practical is using the vehicle's fuel pump as a transfer pump? Even
for, say, giving a stranded motorist a cupla gallons, without having to lug
a gas can around?

Some of the rationale for the Q is that it's hard to drop a tube via the gas
fill on a vehicle, as they seem to have the fill tube set up to block
siphoning. If there were a straightforward way to drop a tube into the gas
tank, I could use the external transfer pump both ways, and not bother with
the fuel pump.

I was also looking at just putting a spigot underneath, on the gas tank
itself, that I could quick-connect a pump to.
Dat seems to be a bit of work, tho, and perhaps dicey work at that, ergo my
fuel pump idear, but mebbe there's a neat way to do a spigot.....
Just have to make sure my entreepreeneering neighborhood homeys don't find
out about sed spigot....

Idears? Opinions?
Inyone else prepping?? lol
--
EA

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 1/26/2013 6:00 AM, Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

Back during The Arab Oil Embargo in the 1970's, The Alabama State
Trooper cars were modified to dispense gasoline from the trooper
car gas tank using a tap on the engine fuel pump. This was because
a lot of motorists were running out of fuel on the interstate highways
and the troopers were giving them enough gas to get to a gas station.
I don't know exactly what the setup looked like because I never saw
one but it was reported in the news. ^_^

TDD
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

[...]

*I am curious as to the type of gas friendly electric pump that you plan to
use for residential gasoline dispensing. Usually the National Electrical
Code calls for explosion proof wiring methods and equipment for that type of
operation.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 7:34*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
[...]

operation.- Hide quoted text -

Why worry now? From past posts I have the feeling it's
not the first code he's violating in his doomsday project....
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message
[...]

Indeed, ergo "gas friendly"....
Explosion proof pumps, wiring, switches can really break the bank, so the
alternative would be a manual xsfer pump, which is not so bad.
OR, buy an automotive fuel pump (gas friendly by definition), and install
that in the container itself, with remote switching, etc. If these fuel
pumps are suitable as volume pumps.
Even better, as it's battery based, will function better during DoomsDay....
at least for a while.... lol
--
EA

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Existential Angst wrote:

Indeed, ergo "gas friendly"....
Explosion proof pumps, wiring, switches can really break the bank, so the
alternative would be a manual xsfer pump, which is not so bad.
OR, buy an automotive fuel pump (gas friendly by definition), and install
that in the container itself, with remote switching, etc. If these fuel
pumps are suitable as volume pumps.
Even better, as it's battery based, will function better during DoomsDay....
at least for a while.... lol

There are still some perfectly good manual piston pumps out there that
are specifically designed for gasoline transfer. Your local auto parts
store may have one.

Siphoning from some modern cars is a pain because of the baffles in the
tank, but it's usually possible to get most of the gas out.

When I was in high school, a neighbor used a vacuum cleaner to siphon
gasoline from his car's tank. Surprisingly he was uninjured although
the car was a total loss.
--scott

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 1/26/13 6:00 AM, Existential Angst wrote:
Awl --

So ahm DoomsDay Prepping over here, altho I did blow my N'Yawk chance for an
array of assault weapons.... sigh
Proly just as well, as I'm too cheap to pay bux for that kind of ammo.....
I'd proly get $-per-bullet chest pains at target practice.... lol....

Plus, with the 500 gals of gasoline I plan on storing, I figger there's more
than enough gas there for a ****load of molotov cocktails, which should keep
the marauding cocksuckers at bay for a while.....

Some cut due to AIOE quotation limits.

You'd probably be better off finding a gasoline transfer pump.
There are some on Ebay for example.
Farmers have transfer pumps on their storage tanks similar to some of
those on Ebay. Theirs are the more expensive units since they want to
move large quantities quickly.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Believe it or not, safety is an issue. I don't even really like pouring gas
from a gas can.
That's why I'm inquiring about the viability of the car's fuel pump.
DD's vig-net was very encouraging.

AND, that's why I got a tri-fuel generator, as I'd use gasoline only in a
pinch, or for special remote apps.
Nat gas is MUCH more user-friendly, with MUCH less CO produced. I'll post
on all this, my genset travails in the near future.

As far as codes go, codes are like traffic laws.... you cross a county
line, and all of a sudden you got 10 pts on yer license, which you wouldn't
get elsewhere. We've seen this many times on ahr. Yeah, some codes make
good sense, others are a pita.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 07:00:56 -0500, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

So basically, the Q is:
How practical is using the vehicle's fuel pump as a transfer pump? Even
for, say, giving a stranded motorist a cupla gallons, without having to lug
a gas can around?

Given the complexity of today's computerize fuel injection systems and
integrated emissions controls, I'd hesitate to tap into a fuel line.
In theory, it sounds simple, but it may not work out that way.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
[...]

Anyone else prepping?? lol

Since the forever (likely longer) my family has used a tap on the fuel line
and the on board fuel pump to transfer gas for the law mower and other
equipment.

Using the system to fill a 500 skid tank is going to a looooooong time.
Have you checked into having the fuel delivered by a fuel truck?

We have back up/emergency power with multiple fuel. Gas, NG/LPG with the
option of running alcohol (great-grandpa showed us how -- depending on the
feed stock you may have trade goods as well) in a pinch but that's not
because we're paranoid but because we had the ability and did not see the
point of limiting the options.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"NotMe" wrote in message ...

[...]

Well, that's the next logical q: what is the gpm or gph of a typical
vehicle fuel pump?
I would be using it to transfer only one car tankful at a time, if that,
mebbe 1/2 or 3/4, which would be 10-15 gal at a time.
OK, here's what autozone has:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...p?viewAll=true

The better values would appear to be edelbrock (surprisingly), at 130 gph,
$120:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=119693_0_0_

So 10 gal at 130 gal/hr.... lessee.... hmmmm...... 10/130, gals cancel
out, hmmm..... 1/13 of an hr?? Or about 4.5 mins. Not too bad.
Humping 10 gals in gas cans is no picnic, effort OR time-wise.

The Q then, is, what does MY fuel pump do?
Proly would be theoretically nice to put a second fuel pump in the tank, but
dats proly not so easy. Is it??
--
EA

We have back up/emergency power with multiple fuel. Gas, NG/LPG with the
option of running alcohol (great-grandpa showed us how -- depending on the
feed stock you may have trade goods as well) in a pinch but that's not
because we're paranoid but because we had the ability and did not see the
point of limiting the options.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Existential Angst" wrote in
:

The Q then, is, what does MY fuel pump do?
Proly would be theoretically nice to put a second fuel pump in the
tank, but dats proly not so easy. Is it??

No, and you proly aren't smart enough to do it anyway.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Existential Angst" wrote in message

So basically, the Q is:
How practical is using the vehicle's fuel pump as a transfer pump?
Even for, say, giving a stranded motorist a cupla gallons, without
having to lug a gas can around?

The electric fuel pump in my Ford delivers 1 liter per minute.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 1/26/2013 7:40 AM, wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a typical my way is the only way don't tell me what to do
extremist. You might be familiar with some others here who are just like
that...
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 1/26/2013 6:40 AM, wrote:
[...]

When civilization evaporates, who the heck is gonna be around to enforce
any laws or regulations? O_o

TDD

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 08:33:39 -0500, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

OK, here's what autozone has:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...p?viewAll=true

The better values would appear to be edelbrock (surprisingly), at 130 gph,
$120:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=119693_0_0_

So 10 gal at 130 gal/hr.... lessee.... hmmmm...... 10/130, gals cancel
out, hmmm..... 1/13 of an hr?? Or about 4.5 mins. Not too bad.
Humping 10 gals in gas cans is no picnic, effort OR time-wise.

The Q then, is, what does MY fuel pump do?
Proly would be theoretically nice to put a second fuel pump in the tank, but
dats proly not so easy. Is it??

Don't even think about it. The fuel pump is one of the most expensive
components on FI cars. I wouldn't even consider it for a car with a
carb. Not worth the trouble.
Just get one of these.
http://www.harborfreight.com/fluid-s...ump-93290.html
A few squeezes and you get a safe gravity flow rate, with no dangers
of a pump using electricity and higher pressure.
Maybe a gallon a minute. What's the hurry?
You just need to set up your receiving tank(s) on the floor, lower
than the tank. Wrap a piece of tape on the hose so you know how deep
to put it in the vehicle tank to prevent running it dry.
I've used a few of these, and you might have try one with a smaller
diameter hose to get it to snake down the vehicle fill tube.
Some have hoses too fat to work down the tube.
They're cheap enough to try a few of them.
If you can't get one to work, just buy one or two 5-gallon jugs.
There's no real lugging them around. You fill them a couple feet from
your trunk, and drive your car where the trunk is close to the
transfer point.
Too many downsides to consider using the vehicles purposefully
designed fuel system to do a simple transfer.
You're not running a filling station.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 07:14:16 -0600, "NotMe" wrote:

Using the system to fill a 500 skid tank is going to a looooooong time.
Have you checked into having the fuel delivered by a fuel truck?

He can't do that. Preppers don't want others to know they exist or
they may be raided later when the world as we know it comes to an end.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 09:22:15 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Existential Angst" wrote in message

So basically, the Q is:
How practical is using the vehicle's fuel pump as a transfer pump?
Even for, say, giving a stranded motorist a cupla gallons, without
having to lug a gas can around?

The electric fuel pump in my Ford delivers 1 liter per minute.

That won't work, he's transferring gallons, not liters. He'd have to
buy metric gas.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Existential Angst wrote:

So basically, the Q is:
How practical is using the vehicle's fuel pump as a transfer pump? Even
for, say, giving a stranded motorist a cupla gallons, without having to lug

Hi,
Gas coming out of fuel pump is pressurized(after passing thru regulator)
can you manage that w/o spilling gas all over? I'd rather
siphon the gas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

He could use Canadian gasoline, they sell
liters there.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

The electric fuel pump in my Ford
delivers 1 liter per minute.

That won't work, he's transferring gallons,
not liters. He'd have to buy metric gas.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

You'd have to find a fuel station that sells
non pressurized gasoline.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

How practical is using the vehicle's
fuel pump as a transfer pump? Even
for, say, giving a stranded motorist a
cupla gallons, without having to lug

Hi,
Gas coming out of fuel pump is pressurized
(after passing thru regulator) can you manage
that w/o spilling gas all over? I'd rather
siphon the gas.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 4:00*am, "Existential Angst" wrote:
[...]

From y our big tank to transfer to vehicles/cans, use a mechanical
fuel pump. That is all we had back on the farm and we fueled
everything by cranking the pump handle. Didn't take long to fill a
20 gal tank.

Harry K
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 4:45*am, "Existential Angst" wrote:
[...]

Doesn't need a battery. He can power it with the vehicle to pump gas
into his
tank, which will feed the engine to keep the car running to pump gas
into the car...

Harry K
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

[...]

How practical? Not at all, a vehicle fuel pump is a low volume pump,
it would take
you forever to transfer any appreciable amount.

Harry K
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 1/26/2013 9:19 AM, JoeBro wrote:
"Existential Angst" wrote in
:

The Q then, is, what does MY fuel pump do?
Proly would be theoretically nice to put a second fuel pump in the
tank, but dats proly not so easy. Is it??

No, and you proly aren't smart enough to do it anyway.

When I see the use of "proly" it always makes me think that someone
isn't far beyond a "binky"...

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
On 1/26/2013 9:19 AM, JoeBro wrote:
"Existential Angst" wrote in
:

The Q then, is, what does MY fuel pump do?
Proly would be theoretically nice to put a second fuel pump in the
tank, but dats proly not so easy. Is it??

No, and you proly aren't smart enough to do it anyway.

When I see the use of "proly" it always makes me think that someone isn't
far beyond a "binky"...

Yeah, apparently your panties are so bunched up about it, you could proly
just wear them as a thong.
Then you can shimmy a bit for JoeBro.
--
EA

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

connect a gas line to wherever your sending the gasoline to the
schrader valve on most modern fuel injected vehcles and turn key to
run, the pump in your gas tank will do what its designed to and pump
gasoline.

cost a length of neoprene hose and a schrader connector.

this is usually used to check fuel pump pressure at the vehicle
injectors. schrader valve is under hood

in a true end of the world as we know it you use a pan and slide it
under the vehicle and punch a hole in the tank.

hopefully no one will need that approach

one time my van would occasionally lose power, then be okk for days.

my mechanic connected a pressure gauge to my fuel line, the normal 100
pounds plus occasionally dropped to 15 pounds and my van stalled.....

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message
[...]

Well, from the earlier links I provided, 130+ gph pumps are readily
available -- poss. more, if that rating is at some back pressure.

For the benefit of the arithmetically challenged (like, well, George,
JoeBro, and dey ignerint ilk), that's, uh, lessee....
130 gph, times 1/60 hr/min (which, george, joebro, is the recipycal of 60
min/hr), lessee, cancel out the hours, divide..... hmmmm, dats 2+
gal/min..... not quite a torrential flow, but adequate.

But, having talked to a guy at a local autoparts store (where I picked up
the 25 ft flex exhaust extension for le genset), he said unless you have a
car model with an access panel on the gas tank itself, like some Honders,
the project is problematic from the gitgo. It's def'ly do-able, but at what
time/effort/expense.

As per Vic, I'll see about dropping a tube thru the gas fill, see how that
turns out. Mebbe my mechanic can remove some baffling, make it easier.
We'll see.

I hope 500 gals of gas is enough.... mebbe I'll wall it all in with about
75 truck batteries, solar-charging.....
--
EA

Harry K

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 10:42:04 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Existential Angst wrote:

So basically, the Q is:
How practical is using the vehicle's fuel pump as a transfer pump? Even
for, say, giving a stranded motorist a cupla gallons, without having to lug

Hi,
Gas coming out of fuel pump is pressurized(after passing thru regulator)
can you manage that w/o spilling gas all over? I'd rather
siphon the gas.

Depends on the vehicle. Older EFI units had return system regulators 0
so fuel was pressurized BEFORE the regulator. MAny new units are
return-less - regulator in the pum asembly. The fuel is pressurizwd
with the system intact. If you have a tap-off like the schrader test
fitting open.all you get is high volume as the pressure can not build.

And good luck siphoning from most relatively current vehicles.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Existential Angst wrote:

So basically, the Q is:
How practical is using the vehicle's fuel pump as a transfer pump?
Even
for, say, giving a stranded motorist a cupla gallons, without having to
lug

Hi,
Gas coming out of fuel pump is pressurized(after passing thru regulator)
can you manage that w/o spilling gas all over? I'd rather
siphon the gas.

Depends on the vehicle. Older EFI units had return system regulators 0
so fuel was pressurized BEFORE the regulator. MAny new units are
return-less - regulator in the pum asembly. The fuel is pressurizwd
with the system intact. If you have a tap-off like the schrader test
fitting open.all you get is high volume as the pressure can not build.

And good luck siphoning from most relatively current vehicles.

When I was scrapping my 1990 Mazda 929S, I tried to siphon off the remaining
gas.... couldn't do it in any non-destructive way.

No return line would proly make this unworkable with the engine running --
which would not be a biggie if the pump can be otherwise energized. It
seems preferable to be able to transfer gasoline without the engine running.
--
EA

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 08:41:11 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 1/26/2013 6:40 AM, wrote:
[...]

That IS a very good question.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/26/2013 6:40 AM, wrote:
[...]

Oh!, oh!, oh!, I know, Kevin Costner! ^_^

TDD

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message
[...]

Stop dicking around with 2gpm
Here's a hand crank pump rated for gas at 26gpm.
http://www.gemplers.com/product/1476...Flow-Fuel-Pump

Next, realize that the US only has about 28 days worth of refined gasoline
in stock at any point of time.
So, if some catastrophe stops the refineries, you have a month to get them
back up and running or there won't be any gas left to siphon.

Buy a horse.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Gunner wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

When civilization evaporates, who the heck is gonna be around to enforce
any laws or regulations? O_o

TDD

That IS a very good question.

The IRS plans to be around after a nuclear war to collect taxes.
Worse than roaches!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Gunner on Sun, 27 Jan 2013 13:40:02 -0800 typed

Why worry now? From past posts I have the feeling it's
not the first code he's violating in his doomsday project....

When civilization evaporates, who the heck is gonna be around to enforce
any laws or regulations? O_o

TDD

That IS a very good question.

Who is going to be around to protect the Progressives, OWS sort,
the media and other ne'er do wells - from the rednecks and small mouth
anarchists?
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Probably the UN? They seem to be every where.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
news
When civilization evaporates, who the heck is gonna be around to enforce
any laws or regulations? O_o

TDD

That IS a very good question.

Who is going to be around to protect the Progressives, OWS sort,
the media and other ne'er do wells - from the rednecks and small mouth
anarchists?
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:

So ahm DoomsDay Prepping over here, altho I did blow my N'Yawk chance for an
array of assault weapons.... sigh
Proly just as well, as I'm too cheap to pay bux for that kind of ammo.....
I'd proly get $-per-bullet chest pains at target practice.... lol....

Plus, with the 500 gals of gasoline I plan on storing, I figger there's more
than enough gas there for a ****load of molotov cocktails, which should keep
the marauding cocksuckers at bay for a while.....

Even if you don't plan to get permits (because in your city there's No
Chance In Hell that they'll actually issue you one) you still need to
do it the safe and legal way to save the hassles later - and so your
local Fire Station doesn't rat you out to Code Enforcement.

(The firemen really only care that it's done safely, and they know
about it before charging in blindly - They hate surprises. If they
see a red "Flammable Liquid - UN-1203" sign and a filled in Hazard
Level Triangle, then they know exactly what they are dealing with.)

And if you ever want to resell that tank it'll be legal for the next
guy to use. It will have Resale Value.

It has to be a Double Wall Tank or "Diked Containment" tank that is
sitting in a big box to capture any potential fuel leaks. Some states
or cities require a "Flame Shield" tank that is a double wall with
fire resistant concrete in the space between the tanks, or a steel
tank with a concrete box poured around it.

Sometimes you can get the same tank as a "DOT-Rated Transport Tank"
mounted on a trailer chassis, and that gets around a lot of Local and
County zoning and fire rules - and if it's over the Reportable
Quantity of 110 Gallons it falls under a lot of State DMV and Federal
DOT rules instead.... Pick your poison.

And be prepared to go get a Class A or B Commercial Drivers License
and a Hazmat Certificate, and pass a physical checkup.

Don't skimp on the tank fittings and safety valves - it has to have
the proper 4" relief vents so if there is a fire it doesn't get worse.
The relief valve might have a gout of vapors or flame coming out from
the fuel inside boiling off - but that's good. If pressure builds up
and the tank ruptures the fire suddenly gets a Whole Lot Bigger.

And a few Big Fire Extinguishers - 4A60BC or bigger. One right at the
tank for easy "Oh, ****!" grabbing and a few in the garage nearby if
it's already going when you get there. Get them serviced every few
years.

And even past that, some cities want you to sit the Double-Wall or
Flame-Shield tank (or park the trailer) on a poured concrete pad with
an integrally poured 6" high dike lip around it, so if it manages to
leak the fuel will be caught before seeping into the dirt.

And crash posts all around the pad and tank, steel pipe is cheap.

Yeah, it's going to cost a serious chunk to do it right - but you get
to sleep at night too.

But since the consensus seems to be that gas does indeed go bad after a year
or so, I figgered instead of mule-ing boucou gas cans to and fro (Sandy,
boyzngerlz?), if I could tap into the fuel line and jump the fuel pump, I
could use the vehicle itself as a "transfer station" -- more specifically,
to take fresh gas from the vehicle's tank, and deposit it into my 500 gal

You have to put Fuel Storage Stabilizer into the fuel as it's being
put in the tank, 1 to 2 ounces per gallon. Buy it by the gallon, or
it'll break you. "Stabil" is the biggie, but K&W "Stor-X" is available
by the gallon (4 gallons per case) through NAPA Auto Parts.

And with a Sedan you can NOT put gas cans inside the trunk or cargo
area - Remember the Ford Pinto, boys and girls? Even with a Pickup
you'd better strap the cans down so they can't go anywhere.

The safe bet is to get a Receiver Trailer Hitch put on your car, then
one of the "Wheelless Trailer" cargo platforms. Strap two to four
5-Gallon gas cans at a time down on that.

Then, to fill up the vehicle from my stash (for recycling, shortage,
whatever), I'd just use a gas-friendly electric xsfer pump attached to the
storage container.

Dispensing pump, get a 12-volt Fill-Rite dispense pump and a spin-on
water filter. It comes with a 15' cord, get two alligator clips and
power it from the car being filled - or a Deep Cycle trolling motor
battery, and a small solar panel to recharge it.

So basically, the Q is:
How practical is using the vehicle's fuel pump as a transfer pump? Even
for, say, giving a stranded motorist a cupla gallons, without having to lug
a gas can around?

It is only practical to get a gallon or two out of a vehicle with the
in-tank pump - you can NOT use it to fill your stationary home tank.
Besides taking all day, your in-tank pump has a finite lifespan and is
Very Expensive to replace - you have to drain and drop the tank.

But you can get the fitting to tap off the fuel pressure test port on
your car, a 10' length of high-pressure fuel hose and a needle valve -
you can't draw off fuel too fast or you'll stall the car, which should
be idling so the alternator is running the fuel pump...

If you really want to build this in and will use it often, get a
separate 12V "Racing" fuel pump and tap off the suction fitting on top
of the fuel pump access panel meant for Generators on Motorhomes. And
Hide Everything behind a locked door.

You might have to drop the fuel tank to get to the fitting, and you
might have to swap for a fuel pump assembly that has that Generator
Fuel pickup fitting option - they put those on Pickups and Vans that
might get converted to Motorhomes, not sedans.

And note that those generator suction pickup fittings deliberately
don't go to the bottom of the tank, so leaving the generator running
all night doesn't run your tank totally dry and strand you. After the
generator stalls out you should still have between 1/8 to 1/4 tank
left to get to the gas station.

Some of the rationale for the Q is that it's hard to drop a tube via the gas
fill on a vehicle, as they seem to have the fill tube set up to block
siphoning. If there were a straightforward way to drop a tube into the gas
tank, I could use the external transfer pump both ways, and not bother with
the fuel pump.

I was also looking at just putting a spigot underneath, on the gas tank
itself, that I could quick-connect a pump to.
Dat seems to be a bit of work, tho, and perhaps dicey work at that, ergo my
fuel pump idear, but mebbe there's a neat way to do a spigot.....
Just have to make sure my entreepreeneering neighborhood homeys don't find
out about sed spigot....

Oh, HELL NO. They'll find the valve or just Ice-Pick the bottom of
the tank, steal as much gas as they can carry, then leave the faucet
or hole open as they run and drop a match on the ground when they've
reached a safe distance. {WHOOMP!} Car-B-Que.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Existential Angst" wrote in
:

Awl --

So ahm DoomsDay Prepping over here, altho I did blow my N'Yawk chance
for an array of assault weapons.... sigh
Proly just as well, as I'm too cheap to pay bux for that kind of
ammo..... I'd proly get $-per-bullet chest pains at target
practice.... lol....

Plus, with the 500 gals of gasoline I plan on storing, I figger
there's more than enough gas there for a ****load of molotov
cocktails, which should keep the marauding cocksuckers at bay for a
while.....

If they are close enough for a gas bath, your already dead. you really
neeed to step up your planing. KB

[...]

Suggestion to pump gasoline from one car to another in a garage William Brammer Home Repair 73 January 9th 10 05:28 PM
We'll just check that old fuel pump and -- eew! Tim Wescott Metalworking 15 June 1st 09 01:35 AM
oil furnace fuel pump Hawk352 Home Repair 3 October 11th 08 07:22 AM
Fuel transfer pump Roger UK diy 16 February 21st 08 06:04 PM
White Gas, Coleman Fuel, and Unleaded Gasoline Gunner Metalworking 11 October 6th 03 05:44 AM