Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default Prepping: Using a vehicle's fuel pump to transfer gasoline...

On 1/26/2013 6:40 AM, wrote:
On Jan 26, 7:34 am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
So ahm DoomsDay Prepping over here, altho I did blow my N'Yawk chance for
an array of assault weapons.... sigh
Proly just as well, as I'm too cheap to pay bux for that kind of ammo.....
I'd proly get $-per-bullet chest pains at target practice.... lol....

Plus, with the 500 gals of gasoline I plan on storing, I figger there's
more than enough gas there for a ****load of molotov cocktails, which
should keep the marauding cocksuckers at bay for a while.....

But since the consensus seems to be that gas does indeed go bad after a
year or so, I figgered instead of mule-ing boucou gas cans to and fro
(Sandy, boyzngerlz?), if I could tap into the fuel line and jump the fuel
pump, I could use the vehicle itself as a "transfer station" -- more
specifically, to take fresh gas from the vehicle's tank, and deposit it
into my 500 gal stash.
Then, to fill up the vehicle from my stash (for recycling, shortage,
whatever), I'd just use a gas-friendly electric xsfer pump attached to the
storage container.

So basically, the Q is:
How practical is using the vehicle's fuel pump as a transfer pump? Even
for, say, giving a stranded motorist a cupla gallons, without having to
lug a gas can around?

Some of the rationale for the Q is that it's hard to drop a tube via the
gas fill on a vehicle, as they seem to have the fill tube set up to block
siphoning. If there were a straightforward way to drop a tube into the
gas tank, I could use the external transfer pump both ways, and not bother
with the fuel pump.

I was also looking at just putting a spigot underneath, on the gas tank
itself, that I could quick-connect a pump to.
Dat seems to be a bit of work, tho, and perhaps dicey work at that, ergo
my fuel pump idear, but mebbe there's a neat way to do a spigot.....
Just have to make sure my entreepreeneering neighborhood homeys don't find
out about sed spigot....

*I am curious as to the type of gas friendly electric pump that you plan to
use for residential gasoline dispensing. Usually the National Electrical
Code calls for explosion proof wiring methods and equipment for that type of
operation.- Hide quoted text -

Why worry now? From past posts I have the feeling it's
not the first code he's violating in his doomsday project....

When civilization evaporates, who the heck is gonna be around to enforce
any laws or regulations? O_o

TDD