Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Kevin Bottorff Kevin Bottorff is offline

Default Prepping: Using a vehicle's fuel pump to transfer gasoline...

"Existential Angst" wrote in
:

Awl --

So ahm DoomsDay Prepping over here, altho I did blow my N'Yawk chance
for an array of assault weapons.... sigh
Proly just as well, as I'm too cheap to pay bux for that kind of
ammo..... I'd proly get $-per-bullet chest pains at target
practice.... lol....

Plus, with the 500 gals of gasoline I plan on storing, I figger
there's more than enough gas there for a ****load of molotov
cocktails, which should keep the marauding cocksuckers at bay for a
while.....

If they are close enough for a gas bath, your already dead. you really
neeed to step up your planing. KB

But since the consensus seems to be that gas does indeed go bad after
a year or so, I figgered instead of mule-ing boucou gas cans to and
fro (Sandy, boyzngerlz?), if I could tap into the fuel line and jump
the fuel pump, I could use the vehicle itself as a "transfer station"
-- more specifically, to take fresh gas from the vehicle's tank, and
deposit it into my 500 gal stash.
Then, to fill up the vehicle from my stash (for recycling, shortage,
whatever), I'd just use a gas-friendly electric xsfer pump attached to
the storage container.

So basically, the Q is:
How practical is using the vehicle's fuel pump as a transfer pump?
Even
for, say, giving a stranded motorist a cupla gallons, without having
to lug a gas can around?

Some of the rationale for the Q is that it's hard to drop a tube via
the gas fill on a vehicle, as they seem to have the fill tube set up
to block siphoning. If there were a straightforward way to drop a
tube into the gas tank, I could use the external transfer pump both
ways, and not bother with the fuel pump.

I was also looking at just putting a spigot underneath, on the gas
tank itself, that I could quick-connect a pump to.
Dat seems to be a bit of work, tho, and perhaps dicey work at that,
ergo my fuel pump idear, but mebbe there's a neat way to do a
spigot.....
Just have to make sure my entreepreeneering neighborhood homeys don't
find
out about sed spigot....

Idears? Opinions?
Inyone else prepping?? lol