Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default Prepping: Using a vehicle's fuel pump to transfer gasoline...

"NotMe" wrote in message ...

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
Awl --

So ahm DoomsDay Prepping over here, altho I did blow my N'Yawk chance for
an array of assault weapons.... sigh
Proly just as well, as I'm too cheap to pay bux for that kind of
ammo..... I'd proly get $-per-bullet chest pains at target practice....
lol....

Plus, with the 500 gals of gasoline I plan on storing, I figger there's
more than enough gas there for a ****load of molotov cocktails, which
should keep the marauding cocksuckers at bay for a while.....

But since the consensus seems to be that gas does indeed go bad after a
year or so, I figgered instead of mule-ing boucou gas cans to and fro
(Sandy, boyzngerlz?), if I could tap into the fuel line and jump the fuel
pump, I could use the vehicle itself as a "transfer station" -- more
specifically, to take fresh gas from the vehicle's tank, and deposit it
into my 500 gal stash.
Then, to fill up the vehicle from my stash (for recycling, shortage,
whatever), I'd just use a gas-friendly electric xsfer pump attached to
the storage container.

So basically, the Q is:
How practical is using the vehicle's fuel pump as a transfer pump? Even
for, say, giving a stranded motorist a cupla gallons, without having to
lug a gas can around?

Some of the rationale for the Q is that it's hard to drop a tube via the
gas fill on a vehicle, as they seem to have the fill tube set up to block
siphoning. If there were a straightforward way to drop a tube into the
gas tank, I could use the external transfer pump both ways, and not
bother with the fuel pump.

I was also looking at just putting a spigot underneath, on the gas tank
itself, that I could quick-connect a pump to.
Dat seems to be a bit of work, tho, and perhaps dicey work at that, ergo
my fuel pump idear, but mebbe there's a neat way to do a spigot.....
Just have to make sure my entreepreeneering neighborhood homeys don't
find out about sed spigot....

Idears? Opinions?
Anyone else prepping?? lol

Since the forever (likely longer) my family has used a tap on the fuel
line and the on board fuel pump to transfer gas for the law mower and
other equipment.

Using the system to fill a 500 skid tank is going to a looooooong time.
Have you checked into having the fuel delivered by a fuel truck?

Well, that's the next logical q: what is the gpm or gph of a typical
vehicle fuel pump?
I would be using it to transfer only one car tankful at a time, if that,
mebbe 1/2 or 3/4, which would be 10-15 gal at a time.
OK, here's what autozone has:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...p?viewAll=true

The better values would appear to be edelbrock (surprisingly), at 130 gph,
$120:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=119693_0_0_

So 10 gal at 130 gal/hr.... lessee.... hmmmm...... 10/130, gals cancel
out, hmmm..... 1/13 of an hr?? Or about 4.5 mins. Not too bad.
Humping 10 gals in gas cans is no picnic, effort OR time-wise.

The Q then, is, what does MY fuel pump do?
Proly would be theoretically nice to put a second fuel pump in the tank, but
dats proly not so easy. Is it??
--
EA

We have back up/emergency power with multiple fuel. Gas, NG/LPG with the
option of running alcohol (great-grandpa showed us how -- depending on the
feed stock you may have trade goods as well) in a pinch but that's not
because we're paranoid but because we had the ability and did not see the
point of limiting the options.