Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Default Suggestion to pump gasoline from one car to another in a garage

Any suggestion on a good gasoline pump to move gas from one vehicle to
another in a garage?

My wife always fills up at the most expensive stations while I get my gas
at the least expensive I can find using Gas Buddy.

I'd like to weekly (or so) transfer about 15 gallons (or so) from my tank
to hers in my garage (or just outside the garage).

Any suggestions for a good pump for gasoline?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

William Brammer wrote:
Any suggestion on a good gasoline pump to move gas from one vehicle to
another in a garage?

My wife always fills up at the most expensive stations while I get my gas
at the least expensive I can find using Gas Buddy.

I'd like to weekly (or so) transfer about 15 gallons (or so) from my tank
to hers in my garage (or just outside the garage).

Any suggestions for a good pump for gasoline?

One that automatically dials 911 when the temperature exceeds 1000 degrees.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Joe Joe is offline

"William Brammer" wrote in message
Any suggestion on a good gasoline pump to move gas from one vehicle to
another in a garage?

My wife always fills up at the most expensive stations while I get my gas
at the least expensive I can find using Gas Buddy.

I'd like to weekly (or so) transfer about 15 gallons (or so) from my tank
to hers in my garage (or just outside the garage).

Any suggestions for a good pump for gasoline?

you've piqued my curiosity about *why* you want to transfer (especially
weekly). Wouldn't it be easier just to switch the station at which you fill
up? (or to take her car to put some less expensive gas in it)

Seems like a lot of work to solve a non-existent problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

William Brammer wrote:
Any suggestion on a good gasoline pump to move gas from one vehicle to
another in a garage?

My wife always fills up at the most expensive stations while I get my
gas at the least expensive I can find using Gas Buddy.

I'd like to weekly (or so) transfer about 15 gallons (or so) from my
tank to hers in my garage (or just outside the garage).

Any suggestions for a good pump for gasoline?

My advice is to learn to live with it or fill the wife's tank for her.
Transferring gas in the grage is plain DUMB. My brother set the house on
fire 50 years ago doing that. He was a kid and did not know any better.

Even at 10¢ a gallon difference, you'd save $1.50 a week. Worth the risk?
Worth the time and trouble and expense of a pump? Find a reasonalbe priced
station on her route and use it regularly.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Jan 7, 2:25*am, William Brammer wrote:
Any suggestion on a good gasoline pump to move gas from one vehicle to
another in a garage?

My wife always fills up at the most expensive stations while I get my gas
at the least expensive I can find using Gas Buddy.

I'd like to weekly (or so) transfer about 15 gallons (or so) from my tank
to hers in my garage (or just outside the garage).

Any suggestions for a good pump for gasoline?

My car I cant even get a siphon hose into, its a theft saftey device,
probably one of your cars has it. It would still be best to get her to
switch for other reasons.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Jan 7, 3:25*am, William Brammer wrote:
Any suggestion on a good gasoline pump to move gas from one vehicle to
another in a garage?

My wife always fills up at the most expensive stations while I get my gas
at the least expensive I can find using Gas Buddy.

I'd like to weekly (or so) transfer about 15 gallons (or so) from my tank
to hers in my garage (or just outside the garage).

Any suggestions for a good pump for gasoline?

I agree with others - stupid idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

ransley wrote in
:

On Jan 7, 2:25*am, William Brammer wrote:
Any suggestion on a good gasoline pump to move gas from one vehicle
to another in a garage?

My wife always fills up at the most expensive stations while I get my
gas at the least expensive I can find using Gas Buddy.

I'd like to weekly (or so) transfer about 15 gallons (or so) from my
tank to hers in my garage (or just outside the garage).

Any suggestions for a good pump for gasoline?

My car I cant even get a siphon hose into, its a theft saftey device,
probably one of your cars has it. It would still be best to get her to
switch for other reasons.

Or why doesn't just have a peek at her gas gauge once in a while, and if
it's getting low, go get the tank filled for her.

He will accomplish two, and possibly three, things that way:
1) Get cheaper gas in her car,
2) Look like a kind, caring and considerate husband, and
3) possibly get more sex on account of #2.

A win all around, I say.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

In article , William Brammer wrote:
Any suggestion on a good gasoline pump to move gas from one vehicle to
another in a garage?

My wife always fills up at the most expensive stations while I get my gas
at the least expensive I can find using Gas Buddy.

I'd like to weekly (or so) transfer about 15 gallons (or so) from my tank
to hers in my garage (or just outside the garage).

Any suggestions for a good pump for gasoline?

1. Go out for donuts and coffee every Saturday morning while your wife sleeps
in. Take her car, and fill it up yourself while you're out. Don't tell her
why; simply let her assume it's because you're a loving, devoted husband, and
reap the rewards of that assumption.

2. Do The Math, Part I -- how much time and gas do you spend, driving out of
your way to get the least expensive gas you can find? If you drive five miles
out of your way to save a nickel a gallon, you're effectively placing a value
of less than $3/hour on your time.

3. Do the Math, Part II -- what's the difference between what you pay, and
what she pays? Maybe 10-12 cents per gallon? So the fifteen gallons you
propose to transfer every week represents a savings of $1.50 to $1.80 a week
in gasoline costs. How many years before the pump pays for itself?

4. Do the Math, Part III -- Repeat the previous calculation, subtracting a
reasonable value for the time you spend doing this from the amount you save on
gas. *Now* how long before the pump pays for itself? (Hint: if the value you
place on your time exceeds about $6/hour, the answer to this question is
"never".)

5. Do the Math, Part IV -- if your wife is using fifteen gallons of gas a week
commuting to and from work, you need to buy her a more fuel-efficient car. I
can drive my Saturn over 400 miles in the city, and over 500 on the highway,
on fifteen gallons of gas. I bet your wife isn't driving 80-100 miles a day.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

William Brammer wrote:
Any suggestion on a good gasoline pump to move gas from one vehicle to
another in a garage?

My wife always fills up at the most expensive stations while I get my
gas at the least expensive I can find using Gas Buddy.

I'd like to weekly (or so) transfer about 15 gallons (or so) from my
tank to hers in my garage (or just outside the garage).

Any suggestions for a good pump for gasoline?

Just about any pump made for the purpose should work.

There ARE alternate ideas, some of which have been mentioned.

My favorite would be the reverse of what you propose: Remove some (amount
of) gasoline from HER car and put it in YOUR car. As the price she must pay
to run errands increases dramatically, she may, on her own, move to reduce
her expenses.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Most cars, now days, have baffles and such to prevent
siphons. I'd suggest to keep a 5 gal gascan in your trunk,
and fill it when you fill. Pour that gasoline into her tank
when you have a moment. That will take some of the strain
off her fuel bill.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"William Brammer" wrote in
message ...
Any suggestion on a good gasoline pump to move gas from one
vehicle to
another in a garage?

My wife always fills up at the most expensive stations while
I get my gas
at the least expensive I can find using Gas Buddy.

I'd like to weekly (or so) transfer about 15 gallons (or so)
from my tank
to hers in my garage (or just outside the garage).

Any suggestions for a good pump for gasoline?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 1/7/2010 8:45 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Most cars, now days, have baffles and such to prevent
siphons. I'd suggest to keep a 5 gal gascan in your trunk,
and fill it when you fill. Pour that gasoline into her tank
when you have a moment. That will take some of the strain
off her fuel bill.

I'll add a couple of more comments.
The new gasoline containers regulated here in DE are a real PITA - slow
to pour and often spill the gas they were meant to store without fumes
or spillage.
And, running around town to buy the cheapest gas is often not cost
effective. You may save a nickle a gallon but burn a gallon going out
of your way.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 10:46:10 GMT, Joe wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier just to switch the station at which you fill
up? (or to take her car to put some less expensive gas in it)

I switch stations all the time but my wife does not. I work near Costco
which is only about $2.90 a gallon nowadays while the gas stations she goes
to are $3.10 or so. We live very far (20- miles) from the nearest gas
station. She would love it if the "gas tank just filled itself".

She grew up in the only state in the USA that has true self serve (where
you stay in the car the whole time) and she hates those "cash only"
stations that make you wait in line at the checkout twice just to fill up.
So she goes to the expensive fill up stations which are more convenient and
closer to where she shops.

Of course as you suggested, I could just go out at 6am or 11pm and simply
take her car out for gas, it would be much less work to just fill up her
car from a tank at home.

I considered buying a 500 gallon gasoline tank but then I learned that gas
goes stale so that would only be useful for commercial establishments.

Anyway, there must be someone else with a similar problem that has found a
workable solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 12:31:25 +0000 (UTC), Tegger wrote:

Or why doesn't just have a peek at her gas gauge once in a while, and if
it's getting low, go get the tank filled for her.

To make a 40-mile round trip "just" to fill up a gas tank doesn't seem
viable.

3) possibly get more sex on account of #2.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 05:57:46 -0800, William Brammer
wrote:

[...]

Never had that problem where I live, as there are many options.
Seem the easiest option is to switch cars when she gets low, and fill
hers up at the Costco.
Of course one of you may find reason to reject that option.
Which means it just ain't that important.
Any gas transfer scheme is plain stupid, both from the cost and safety
perspectives.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 08:56:32 -0500, Frank wrote:

The new gasoline containers regulated here in DE are a real PITA - slow
to pour and often spill the gas they were meant to store without fumes
or spillage.

I wish, oh how I wish, I could find on the Internet a gasoline container
like the old style! (two holes ... a capped vent and a pour spout). Out
herre, we have these CARB-mandated gas cans which are "supposed" to prevent
fumes.

I never spilled so much gasoline in my life. I guess I could find a
10-gallon gas can somewhere, and that might work as you suggested.

And, running around town to buy the cheapest gas is often not cost
effective.

I drive by a Costco every morning and evening so that's where I get the
cheapest gas (it's less than $2.90/gallon where, in town, nothing is less
than $3.08 and many are more).

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

NYS also has the gascans with spring loaded vapor trapping
spout. I usually screw the spout off, and pour through a
funnel.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Frank" wrote in message
On 1/7/2010 8:45 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Most cars, now days, have baffles and such to prevent
siphons. I'd suggest to keep a 5 gal gascan in your trunk,
and fill it when you fill. Pour that gasoline into her
tank
when you have a moment. That will take some of the strain
off her fuel bill.

I'll add a couple of more comments.
The new gasoline containers regulated here in DE are a real
PITA - slow
to pour and often spill the gas they were meant to store
without fumes
or spillage.
And, running around town to buy the cheapest gas is often
not cost
effective. You may save a nickle a gallon but burn a gallon
going out
of your way.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Jan 7, 7:31*am, Tegger wrote:
ransley wrote :

[...]

Except perhaps for the wife. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 1/7/2010 09:12, William Brammer wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 08:56:32 -0500, Frank wrote:

The new gasoline containers regulated here in DE are a real PITA - slow
to pour and often spill the gas they were meant to store without fumes
or spillage.

I wish, oh how I wish, I could find on the Internet a gasoline container
like the old style! (two holes ... a capped vent and a pour spout). Out
herre, we have these CARB-mandated gas cans which are "supposed" to prevent
fumes.

I never spilled so much gasoline in my life. I guess I could find a
10-gallon gas can somewhere, and that might work as you suggested.

Well silly you aren't supposed to use it for filling your car. You are
supposed to go and buy the cans that algore says you can't have to do
that...

And, running around town to buy the cheapest gas is often not cost
effective.

I drive by a Costco every morning and evening so that's where I get the
cheapest gas (it's less than $2.90/gallon where, in town, nothing is less
than $3.08 and many are more).

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Jan 7, 8:27*am, Van Chocstraw
wrote:
William Brammer wrote:
Any suggestion on a good gasoline pump to move gas from one vehicle to
another in a garage?

My wife always fills up at the most expensive stations while I get my gas
at the least expensive I can find using Gas Buddy.

I'd like to weekly (or so) transfer about 15 gallons (or so) from my tank
to hers in my garage (or just outside the garage).

Any suggestions for a good pump for gasoline?

You already have a fuel pump in your tank. Tap the fuel rail on the
engine. There is usually a drain tap there. Connect a hose to that,
stick it in your wife's gas tank filler and turn the key on.

That is the dumbest idea so far.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 09:27:01 -0500, Van Chocstraw wrote:

Any suggestions for a good pump for gasoline?

You already have a fuel pump in your tank. Tap the fuel rail on the
engine. There is usually a drain tap there.

There's a "drain" tap on the fuel injection rail? (or are you joking?)

If you're not joking, I'll have to look.

If a fuel rail tap exists, maybe it's threaded for nice secure connections.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

"William Brammer" wrote in message
On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 09:27:01 -0500, Van Chocstraw wrote:

Any suggestions for a good pump for gasoline?

You already have a fuel pump in your tank. Tap the fuel rail on the
engine. There is usually a drain tap there.

There's a "drain" tap on the fuel injection rail? (or are you joking?)

If you're not joking, I'll have to look.

If a fuel rail tap exists, maybe it's threaded for nice secure
connections.

I thought you were joking. Do you really think it's worth buying a pump or
taking any chances? How many miles do you and your wife drive? This sounds
more like a domestic argument that got out-of-hand.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Master Betty wrote:
"William Brammer" wrote in message
On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 09:27:01 -0500, Van Chocstraw wrote:

Any suggestions for a good pump for gasoline?

You already have a fuel pump in your tank. Tap the fuel rail on the
engine. There is usually a drain tap there.

There's a "drain" tap on the fuel injection rail? (or are you joking?)

If you're not joking, I'll have to look.

If a fuel rail tap exists, maybe it's threaded for nice secure
connections.

I thought you were joking. Do you really think it's worth buying a pump or
taking any chances? How many miles do you and your wife drive? This sounds
more like a domestic argument that got out-of-hand.

I have in fact used a line from the fuel rail to fill a generator fuel
tank from a car in an emergency situation. You can do it. It's not something
I'd want to do except in an emergency, though.

The thing is, though... you have a social problem. Technical solutions
don't solve social problems, and attempts to solve social problems with
technical solutions result only in disaster and angry wives.
--scott
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

In article , DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 7, 7:31=A0am, Tegger wrote:
ransley wrote innews:5eb5d4ba-3ff2-4929-8130-2c7=

:

[...]

If it's not, the husband is doing something wrong....

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Master Betty wrote:
[...]

And to top it off he's talking about 20 cents a gallon.

Sometimes I shake my head and wonder why my wife does things but I remind
myself that she's as smart or smarter than I am and she has her reasons. If
I was concerned about the 20 cents I'd ask why she doesn't look around. Then
I'd just accept the explanation. Even if it's just "I don't want to."

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Scott Dorsey wrote:

The thing is, though... you have a social problem. Technical
solutions
don't solve social problems, and attempts to solve social problems
with technical solutions result only in disaster and angry wives.

Hmm. Lethal injections, abortion, and predator drones come to mind as
technical solutions to domestic problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Joe wrote:
"William wrote in message
Any suggestion on a good gasoline pump to move gas from one vehicle to
another in a garage?

My wife always fills up at the most expensive stations while I get my gas
at the least expensive I can find using Gas Buddy.

I'd like to weekly (or so) transfer about 15 gallons (or so) from my tank
to hers in my garage (or just outside the garage).

Any suggestions for a good pump for gasoline?

you've piqued my curiosity about *why* you want to transfer (especially
weekly). Wouldn't it be easier just to switch the station at which you fill
up? (or to take her car to put some less expensive gas in it)

Seems like a lot of work to solve a non-existent problem.

Hi,
I wonder how much he saves doing that. Too cheap gas can cause trouble
in cold winter. Hope he hs a fire extinguisher habdy while doing it. I
fill my wife's car. We always fill up when tank goes half full in winter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 00:25:17 -0800, William Brammer
wrote Re Suggestion to pump gasoline from
one car to another in a garage:

Any suggestion on a good gasoline pump to move gas from one vehicle to
another in a garage?

My wife always fills up at the most expensive stations while I get my gas
at the least expensive I can find using Gas Buddy.

I'd like to weekly (or so) transfer about 15 gallons (or so) from my tank
to hers in my garage (or just outside the garage).

Any suggestions for a good pump for gasoline?

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....6792/p798.html

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

William Brammer wrote:
On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 12:31:25 +0000 (UTC), Tegger wrote:

Or why doesn't just have a peek at her gas gauge once in a while, and if
it's getting low, go get the tank filled for her.

To make a 40-mile round trip "just" to fill up a gas tank doesn't seem
viable.

Just switch vehicles once a week. Or can't she drive your vehicle?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

William Brammer wrote:
Any suggestion on a good gasoline pump to move gas from one vehicle to
another in a garage?

My wife always fills up at the most expensive stations while I get my gas
at the least expensive I can find using Gas Buddy.

I'd like to weekly (or so) transfer about 15 gallons (or so) from my tank
to hers in my garage (or just outside the garage).

Any suggestions for a good pump for gasoline?

you've GOT to be kidding, right? Why not just take your wife's car to
the cheapskate place yourself? Fill it for her if you're worried about
a nickle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Caesar Romano" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 00:25:17 -0800, William Brammer
wrote Re Suggestion to pump gasoline from
one car to another in a garage:

Any suggestion on a good gasoline pump to move gas from one vehicle to
another in a garage?

My wife always fills up at the most expensive stations while I get my gas
at the least expensive I can find using Gas Buddy.

I'd like to weekly (or so) transfer about 15 gallons (or so) from my tank
to hers in my garage (or just outside the garage).

Any suggestions for a good pump for gasoline?

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....6792/p798.html

To pay for that he'd have to siphon at least 750 gal. I think the money
would be better spent on a marriage counselor.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

William Brammer wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 09:27:01 -0500, Van Chocstraw wrote:

Any suggestions for a good pump for gasoline?

You already have a fuel pump in your tank. Tap the fuel rail on the
engine. There is usually a drain tap there.

There's a "drain" tap on the fuel injection rail? (or are you joking?)

If you're not joking, I'll have to look.

If a fuel rail tap exists, maybe it's threaded for nice secure connections.

Hi,
Under pressure. Very possible to spill gas in your garage.
Lot of work and trouble to save a few bucks a month. I'd rather keep the
car in tip top shape(tire pressure, air filter....) and try not to be
lead foot.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
[...]

Interesting. You may want to try Grainger.com. search for Gasoline
transfer pump. Not cheap, but I have a feeling you already knew that.

good luck with your search.

jc

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

William Brammer wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 09:27:01 -0500, Van Chocstraw wrote:

Any suggestions for a good pump for gasoline?

You already have a fuel pump in your tank. Tap the fuel rail on the
engine. There is usually a drain tap there.

There's a "drain" tap on the fuel injection rail? (or are you joking?)

If you're not joking, I'll have to look.

If a fuel rail tap exists, maybe it's threaded for nice secure connections.

Yes there is a fitting on the fuel rail.
You need a special fitting to screw onto it to open the valve and get
fuel out.

The fuel pump will NOT stay running constantly by just turning the key.
It will turn on for a couple seconds and then shut off.
You will be waiting about 30 minutes to transfer the gas. The pumps
don't pump a lot of volume. It's a great way to burn out the pump.

--
Steve W.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

William Brammer wrote:
Any suggestion on a good gasoline pump to move gas from one vehicle to
another in a garage?

My wife always fills up at the most expensive stations while I get my gas
at the least expensive I can find using Gas Buddy.

I'd like to weekly (or so) transfer about 15 gallons (or so) from my tank
to hers in my garage (or just outside the garage).

Any suggestions for a good pump for gasoline?

Easier way is for YOU to buy a couple 5 gallon gas cans. Take them with
you and fill them up on the way home. Top up the wifes car as needed.
Also gives you gas on hand if YOU run low.

--
Steve W.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
hls hls is offline

"William Brammer" wrote in message
I considered buying a 500 gallon gasoline tank but then I learned that gas
goes stale so that would only be useful for commercial establishments.

Anyway, there must be someone else with a similar problem that has found a
workable solution.

There are chemicals that you can add to the tank to prevent or greatly slow
any degradation. And, you can fit it with a condensation trap to preclude
moisture transfer. This plan could work if you have a place with enough
land
to keep the tank clear of the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Jan 7, 10:23*am, "Steve W." wrote:
William Brammer wrote:
[...]

Its a great way to to ruin fittings and set your car up for a future
leak and fire, I would never mess with some kind of tap or valve off a
pressurised fuel system near the motor. Car fires do occur from fuel
leaks, your insurace co probably wont honor a claim with a tap put in
after they inspect it.

babbitting - sooting the shaft, drilling the core for 'excess flow',gasoline stove pump cups? dave Metalworking 4 May 23rd 08 02:41 PM
Old gasoline FDR Home Repair 51 November 13th 05 09:26 AM
I have a suggestion raden UK diy 22 July 13th 05 10:59 PM
uk-d-i-y Suggestion Pinot Grigio UK diy 45 January 7th 05 08:49 AM
genie garage door problem...suggestion requests Tom Home Ownership 0 July 15th 03 08:30 PM