Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Suggestion to pump gasoline from one car to another in a garage

In article , William Brammer wrote:
Any suggestion on a good gasoline pump to move gas from one vehicle to
another in a garage?

My wife always fills up at the most expensive stations while I get my gas
at the least expensive I can find using Gas Buddy.

I'd like to weekly (or so) transfer about 15 gallons (or so) from my tank
to hers in my garage (or just outside the garage).

Any suggestions for a good pump for gasoline?

1. Go out for donuts and coffee every Saturday morning while your wife sleeps
in. Take her car, and fill it up yourself while you're out. Don't tell her
why; simply let her assume it's because you're a loving, devoted husband, and
reap the rewards of that assumption.

2. Do The Math, Part I -- how much time and gas do you spend, driving out of
your way to get the least expensive gas you can find? If you drive five miles
out of your way to save a nickel a gallon, you're effectively placing a value
of less than $3/hour on your time.

3. Do the Math, Part II -- what's the difference between what you pay, and
what she pays? Maybe 10-12 cents per gallon? So the fifteen gallons you
propose to transfer every week represents a savings of $1.50 to $1.80 a week
in gasoline costs. How many years before the pump pays for itself?

4. Do the Math, Part III -- Repeat the previous calculation, subtracting a
reasonable value for the time you spend doing this from the amount you save on
gas. *Now* how long before the pump pays for itself? (Hint: if the value you
place on your time exceeds about $6/hour, the answer to this question is
"never".)

5. Do the Math, Part IV -- if your wife is using fifteen gallons of gas a week
commuting to and from work, you need to buy her a more fuel-efficient car. I
can drive my Saturn over 400 miles in the city, and over 500 on the highway,
on fifteen gallons of gas. I bet your wife isn't driving 80-100 miles a day.