Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fuel transfer pump

My neighbours tractor is a right sod to fill from a jerrycan as the
framework for the front lift obscures the fill pipe. As I am the one who
usually ends up juggling a bucket of fuel, a funnel and some sink waste
pipe from an elevated position I am going to persuade my neighbour to
buy a fuel transfer pump but it is not the sort of thing you can send
back if it proves not to be suitable. So has anyone got any experience
of these things.

The only mechanical one I have come across so far is the £25 one from
Screwfix but I have no idea how long it would take to transfer the 10
gallons that is the usual top-up.

There are several electrical ones around, both 12V and 240V which
deliver 40 litres or more a minute which would suit me fine but as the
prices start at over £100 even for the cheapest I don't want to be
wasting my neighbours money unless I have to.

Given the amount of muck we seem to get with the red diesel I also need
some sort of filter as I don't think the present arrangement of an old
pair of tights over the spout of the funnel will translate too well to a
pumped set-up so any pointers.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the trouble to provide solutions
to these minor problems.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

For diesel I have seen used a £4-99 drill pump - works fine for
about 2 years then
gives up apparently - it was to transfer jerry can diesel into the
fuel tank with a mains drill - quite
fast, about two mins for a 20 litre transfer - could be used with a
battery drill but I
would expect slower

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Feb, 17:41, Roger wrote:
[...]

A friend of mine bought the mechanical one from Screwfix to transfer
biodiesel from 20L containers - it failed miserably (why, I don't
know) as it was designed for barrels (apparently).

I use a jiggle syphon for my biodiesel - but this is likely to be too
slow for you. But, I agree that those drill powered ones may be ok for
this - especially if you can connect it to the tractor crank

Perhaps worth posting to uk.cars.rec.maintenance if not already.

BTW, if you find a solution, please post it as I am looking for an
alternative to the jiggle syphon

Cheers,
Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I use a jiggle syphon for my biodiesel - but this is likely to be
too
slow for you. But, I agree that those drill powered ones may be ok
for
this - especially if you can connect it to the tractor crank

Perhaps worth posting to uk.cars.rec.maintenance if not already.

BTW, if you find a solution, please post it as I am looking for an
alternative to the jiggle syphon

Cheers,
Mark

I would add that the drill pump is not "rated" for diesel / central
heating oil,
only water I think, so I was not expecting it to last long.
However, it did last about 2 years from memory, and I was entirely
happy
with that, for a fiver and it was OK on transfer rate (with a ? 2850
rpm drill)

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Roger
saying something like:

My neighbours tractor is a right sod to fill from a jerrycan as the
framework for the front lift obscures the fill pipe. As I am the one who
usually ends up juggling a bucket of fuel, a funnel and some sink waste
pipe from an elevated position I am going to persuade my neighbour to
buy a fuel transfer pump but it is not the sort of thing you can send
back if it proves not to be suitable. So has anyone got any experience
of these things.

I've been using one for the past couple of years for biodiesel and
vegoil transfer. It's an Italian pump with a bronze housing and
impeller, similar to this from Nothern Tool...
http://www.northerntooluk.com/products.asp?partno=3812E

Combined with a bit of hose and one of these...
http://www.northerntooluk.com/products.asp?partno=1543E
...but I have the cheapy farmer's version from my local mart.

The whole thing, made up by the local pump stockist, cost me around ¤175
and it's been well worth it. I use it for transfer from 50gal barrels to
fuel tank - the pump inlet is connected to a 4' long semi-rigid piece of
black Alkathene pipe which is fitted with a footvalve and goes down the
barrel bunghole; the pump sits on top of the barrel, and simply does its
job of filling the vehicle tank via the nozzle.
--

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks all.

I don't think our occasional use will justify an expense of well over £100.

I was tempted by the cheapness of the drill pump but on reflection the
need for 240 Volts and a reliable drill as well shifts the balance to
mechanical and as things stand at present we will probably go for the
Clarke rotary at £25.84 from Machine Mart. It is intended for 45 gallon
drums but I think it should work with a jerry can.

I haven't come across a suitable proprietary filter so it looks as is a
pair of used tights will continue in service.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My neighbours tractor is a right sod to fill from a jerrycan as the
framework for the front lift obscures the fill pipe.

Not having seen the tractor, but front lift, jerry can? Could the
front lift lift a full can up above the level of the filler pipe?
All you'd then need is a can with a valve on a bottom outlet and a
bit of hose.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Onetap contains these words:

My neighbours tractor is a right sod to fill from a jerrycan as the
framework for the front lift obscures the fill pipe.

Not having seen the tractor, but front lift, jerry can? Could the
front lift lift a full can up above the level of the filler pipe?
All you'd then need is a can with a valve on a bottom outlet and a
bit of hose.

Thanks.

Now there's a thought. Let gravity do more of the work.

Yes the front lift will go up to about vertical but your idea would work
with the lift at less than vertical. It would even work with the
container sitting on the tractor bonnet but getting even 5 gallons up
there would probably need the assistance of the lift.

Now where can I source a suitable robust container with a tap outlet,
and preferably a handle as well?

There is still the filtering to consider but with another container we
could filter while decanting from the jerry cans. If I can't find a
suitable container with a tap already fitted then it should be easy
enough to fit a hose connector to a plastic container.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from AJH contains these words:

There is still the filtering to consider but with another container we
could filter while decanting from the jerry cans. If I can't find a
suitable container with a tap already fitted then it should be easy
enough to fit a hose connector to a plastic container.

One like this on the right?

http://andy992.fotopic.net/c1452519.html

It'll be too slow I think.

I think you may well be right.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Beer pressure barrel, possibly with a different tap ?

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Nick" contains these words:

Beer pressure barrel, possibly with a different tap ?

I am not sure how to source a free empty beer barrel. Ironically my
neighbour did have one lying around for years but I am sure he has had
that cut in two to provide planters in his garden.

I wonder if I can do anything with an empty propane container, but
perhaps not. :-)

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from AJH contains these words:

I'll see if I need to fill a machine from the bowser tomorrow,

I had a bit of a short day today ;-)

I couldn't see the make of the pump so I 'phoned Agritek, who make the
bowser and all I could get out of them was that the difference in
price between a model with an electric pump and one with just a hand
pump was 100 quid, so probably a bit expensive for your purposes.

Thank for going to all that trouble.

--
Roger Chapman

dual fuel heat pump and gen. Gary Home Repair 13 February 2nd 07 12:57 AM
dual fuel heat pump Gary Home Repair 2 October 25th 05 06:01 PM
need fuel pump diaphragm material Jon Elson Metalworking 10 September 11th 05 04:49 AM
Recycling an Auto Electric Fuel Pump [email protected] Electronics Repair 7 September 5th 05 12:17 AM