Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dual fuel heat pump and gen.

I have a dual fuel heat pump propane back up I want to run the propane
emergency heat with a generator. Can I just wire the 120 line that goes to
the indoor unit to my generator transfer switch and set my thermostat on
emergency heat ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gary" wrote:

I have a dual fuel heat pump propane back up I want to run the propane
emergency heat with a generator. Can I just wire the 120 line that goes to
the indoor unit to my generator transfer switch and set my thermostat on
emergency heat ?

I have a dual fuel heat pump with Nat Gas. My furnace has a 110 plug.
I just unplug it from the outlet and plug it into an extension cord
hooked to the generator and set the thermostat to emergency heat. It
works just fine.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Rusling" wrote in message
g...
"Gary" wrote:

I have a dual fuel heat pump propane back up I want to run the propane
emergency heat with a generator. Can I just wire the 120 line that goes to
the indoor unit to my generator transfer switch and set my thermostat on
emergency heat ?

I have a dual fuel heat pump with Nat Gas. My furnace has a 110 plug.
I just unplug it from the outlet and plug it into an extension cord
hooked to the generator and set the thermostat to emergency heat. It
works just fine.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Mustang, OK
http://www.rusling.org

Thank you. Mine is hardwired to the elect panel

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gary" wrote:

"Jim Rusling" wrote in message
rg...
"Gary" wrote:

I have a dual fuel heat pump propane back up I want to run the propane
emergency heat with a generator. Can I just wire the 120 line that goes to
the indoor unit to my generator transfer switch and set my thermostat on
emergency heat ?

I have a dual fuel heat pump with Nat Gas. My furnace has a 110 plug.
I just unplug it from the outlet and plug it into an extension cord
hooked to the generator and set the thermostat to emergency heat. It
works just fine.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Mustang, OK
http://www.rusling.org

Thank you. Mine is hardwired to the elect panel

I just noticed that you have a transfer switch. You can put your
furnace on the transfer switch and it should work just fine.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to alt.home.repair

On my York system, I'm almost positive the thermostat didn't "power up"
until we turned on the HP breaker. But, I may be wrong. I'll have to check
into that. It's a good question, as I have a HP with NG backup.

--
Steve Barker

"Gary" wrote in message
I have a dual fuel heat pump propane back up I want to run the propane
emergency heat with a generator. Can I just wire the 120 line that goes to
the indoor unit to my generator transfer switch and set my thermostat on
emergency heat ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can I ask the group what brand dual fuel heat pump you have, and if your
happy with the performance.
Mine is a Lennox dual fuel, porpane. The system (and house) is two years
old. I've had several problems; the compressor was replaced last January
when it locked up for no apparent reason! The replacement was installed
with some kind of electric booster so it wouldn't stall (???). Recently,
I've noticed, several times, that the house fan and condensor fan will run
without the compressor running. The back up heat does not come on. I've had
to turn the fan off manually to get the system to cycle. Then, it seems to
run ok for awhile.
My last house and system (Carrier) was also dual fuel but with electric
back up and I never had a problem in the twelve years that I owned it.
Are heat pump systems with gas back up working well? Are some Brands better
than others when it comes to gas back up? Comments please!
TomC
Steve Barker wrote in article
. ..

"Gary" wrote in message
I have a dual fuel heat pump propane back up I want to run the propane
emergency heat with a generator. Can I just wire the 120 line that goes

the indoor unit to my generator transfer switch and set my thermostat on

emergency heat ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomC" wrote:

[...]

I also have a lennox. It is almost 11 years old and the only problem
that I have had was a bad reversing valve when it was about 8 years
old.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomC" wrote:

[...]

I have a 2 year old Amana no problems My gas comes on about 28 degrees
outside temp

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gary" wrote:

snip
I have a 2 year old Amana no problems My gas comes on about 28 degrees
outside temp

I have mine set to switch to gas when it is about 33 outside.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to alt.home.repair

That's another thing, my heat pump runs untill it can no longer statisfy
indoor temp; then, it switches to gas. Once the thermostat is satisfied,
the system shuts down and the cycle repeats;e.g. heat pump then gas if
indoor temperature can't be satisfied. It'll blow cold air for awhile
before it switches to gas and the iterim chill in the house is quite
apparent. Is that normal? I don't think my unit has an outdoor thermometer.
TomC
Jim Rusling wrote in article
.. .
"Gary" wrote:

snip
I have a 2 year old Amana no problems My gas comes on about 28 degrees
outside temp

I have mine set to switch to gas when it is about 33 outside.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Mustang, OK
http://www.rusling.org

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomC" wrote:

That's another thing, my heat pump runs untill it can no longer statisfy
indoor temp; then, it switches to gas. Once the thermostat is satisfied,
the system shuts down and the cycle repeats;e.g. heat pump then gas if
indoor temperature can't be satisfied. It'll blow cold air for awhile
before it switches to gas and the iterim chill in the house is quite
apparent. Is that normal? I don't think my unit has an outdoor thermometer.
TomC

It depends, some heat pumps have a thermometer built in. Mine had
that, but I had to change the thermostat and it had the function built
into it. It did take two more wires and was a bit of a pain to
install. It allowed the outside thermometer to be placed where I
wanted it.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomC" wrote:

[...]

My unit works regardless of outside temperature. It just switches to gas
when indoor temp can't be satisfied.
My current concern was that on several recent occassions I noticed an
abnormal amount of cold air from the heat ducts. Upon checking the heat
pump, I discovered that the fan on the unit was still running yet the
compressor was not and the system seemed to be stuck in a loop wherein the
gas furnace didn't kick in and the fans (furnace and condensor) wouldn't
shut off unless I did it manually. Then, after a brief compressor lock out
period, the system seemed to recycle OK .
The heat pump/furnace is controlled by a computer unit (FM21 Controll) and
sometimes I think it has a glitch in it.
Computers are controlling everything and driving me nuts trying to figure
out where the problems are :-(
TomC
Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomC" wrote:

snip
My unit works regardless of outside temperature. It just switches to gas
when indoor temp can't be satisfied.
My current concern was that on several recent occassions I noticed an
abnormal amount of cold air from the heat ducts. Upon checking the heat
pump, I discovered that the fan on the unit was still running yet the
compressor was not and the system seemed to be stuck in a loop wherein the
gas furnace didn't kick in and the fans (furnace and condensor) wouldn't
shut off unless I did it manually. Then, after a brief compressor lock out
period, the system seemed to recycle OK .
The heat pump/furnace is controlled by a computer unit (FM21 Controll) and
sometimes I think it has a glitch in it.
Computers are controlling everything and driving me nuts trying to figure
out where the problems are :-(
TomC

That is what my unit was doing when the reversing valve got stuck. It
started out just doing it some of the time, then it failed completely.
I had to run it on emergency heat until a new one could be ordered and
installed.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Rusling wrote in article
.. .
"TomC" wrote:

snip
[...]

I was suspicious of the reversing valve when the first compressor locked
up. It would make an awfull noise when it tried to defrost. It took 10 days
to get a replacement compressor. Fortunately, the weather cooperated. Had a
warm spell so it wasn't too bad using the back up heat. I'm hoping I don't
go through another compressor. :-). Thanks for the info.
TomC

Ground wire for dual fuel kitchen stove Steve Lambert Home Repair 8 October 27th 06 02:49 PM
Dual Fuel Costs - Does this sound a lot to you? Steve Walker UK diy 2 June 19th 06 09:52 PM
dual fuel Jim Murphy Home Repair 4 January 22nd 06 05:46 PM
dual fuel heat pump Gary Home Repair 2 October 25th 05 06:01 PM
Buddy tells me if I have elec heat and a heat pump, I can get a deal with PSE&G... dean Home Repair 3 September 26th 05 04:31 AM