Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

Default Dual Fuel Costs - Does this sound a lot to you?

Hey gang -

Slightly OT, but I value the proven knowledge & practicality of this group
and crave your patience.

We live in a 3 bed council semi with a large recent extension (adds 2 beds,
a bathroom, integrated garage & conservatory, partially DIY....). New
condenser boiler to CH & DHW, electric cooker, cavity & loft insulation,
double-glazed. The kids sometimes leave doors open and lights on, like
they do. We have PC's, DVD's & TV's all over the place, ordinary lights and
stuff, and ordinary power tools in the garage.

Our dual-fuel account with Powergen is supposedly the cheapest provider, but
the bills just keep climbing - £130pcm now for gas & electric (payments are
averaged for the year, so that's nearly £1,600pa). I can't believe I'm
paying over £30pw for domestic power - does that sound proportionate to the
learned readership?

Cheers -

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
[...]

No - but you must control the kids :-(

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 20:50:45 +0100 someone who may be "Steve Walker"
wrote this:-

We live in a 3 bed council semi with a large recent extension (adds 2 beds,
a bathroom, integrated garage & conservatory, partially DIY....). New
condenser boiler to CH & DHW,

How is the heating controlled?

electric cooker,

Often an expensive gadget to run. Gas hob and electric oven tends to
be recommended. Is most of the cooking done on the rings or in the
oven?

cavity & loft insulation,
double-glazed. The kids sometimes leave doors open and lights on, like
they do. We have PC's, DVD's & TV's all over the place, ordinary lights and
stuff, and ordinary power tools in the garage.

Do you have a large fridge and/or freezer?

Do you leave any lights on for long periods, eg on the stairs,
outside? Are these fitted with energy saving bulbs? Do you have any
bulbs designed to make your electricity meter spin round like a
catherine wheel, such as the little halogen things?

Are the PCs etc turned off when not in use? Really turned off.

Our dual-fuel account with Powergen is supposedly the cheapest provider, but
the bills just keep climbing - £130pcm now for gas & electric (payments are
averaged for the year, so that's nearly £1,600pa).

Sounds a lot.

I can't believe I'm
paying over £30pw for domestic power - does that sound proportionate to the
learned readership?

What is the split between gas and electricity?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Building costs Gideon Home Repair 0 October 16th 05 10:32 PM
McMansions And Such Tom Watson Woodworking 123 October 14th 04 11:05 PM
Ohmwork [email protected] Home Repair 36 July 24th 04 12:22 AM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 01:36 AM