Posted to alt.home.repair
TomC TomC is offline

Default dual fuel heat pump and gen.

Jim Rusling wrote in article
.. .
"TomC" wrote:

snip
My unit works regardless of outside temperature. It just switches to gas
when indoor temp can't be satisfied.
My current concern was that on several recent occassions I noticed an
abnormal amount of cold air from the heat ducts. Upon checking the heat
pump, I discovered that the fan on the unit was still running yet the
compressor was not and the system seemed to be stuck in a loop wherein

the
gas furnace didn't kick in and the fans (furnace and condensor) wouldn't
shut off unless I did it manually. Then, after a brief compressor lock

out
period, the system seemed to recycle OK .
The heat pump/furnace is controlled by a computer unit (FM21 Controll)

and
sometimes I think it has a glitch in it.
Computers are controlling everything and driving me nuts trying to

figure
out where the problems are :-(
TomC

That is what my unit was doing when the reversing valve got stuck. It
started out just doing it some of the time, then it failed completely.
I had to run it on emergency heat until a new one could be ordered and
installed.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

I was suspicious of the reversing valve when the first compressor locked
up. It would make an awfull noise when it tried to defrost. It took 10 days
to get a replacement compressor. Fortunately, the weather cooperated. Had a
warm spell so it wasn't too bad using the back up heat. I'm hoping I don't
go through another compressor. :-). Thanks for the info.
TomC