Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Lessons from Sandy

On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 09:54:13 +1100, terryc
wrote:

On 01/11/12 02:01, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Am I all wrong here? Do traffic lights need more juice than an
inverter could supply? [granted there are 8 lights at the
intersection, but they are LED-- plus the switching equipment]

Yes. There is a fair bit of power involved in lights and cabinents.

Also, it is easier to train people to start, refuel and stop a
generator, than it is to deal with deep discharge batteries and the
inverter.

Also, when you start doing the figures, there can be some heavy currents
running through the cables from the "battery" to the inverter.

Generators are heavier and less portable than batteries and inverter.

then there is the question of the wave form in the inverter Vs the
desired sine wave form of the generator.

Which for the traffic lights could likely be a square wave with
little or no effect.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

PeterD wrote:

In the blackout in the 1960s, us kids couldn't wait to do our homework by
candlelight. I remember working on a map of France.

I don't remember it lasting long enough to bother my homework. Where I
lived, the power going out wasn't that uncommon. The drill was to stick your
head out and see if the neighbors had any lights to make sure it wasn't a
personal problem. There weren't any lights in town so my father and I jumped
in the car and went out scouting. When we got to a place overlooking the
Hudson where you could see Albany, Troy, and all the little areas and it was
black we figured it was a pretty wide spread. Other than that, it was
business as usual.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lessons from Sandy LED jeep lights

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:
Yes, with the Jeep lights, you can point them in a direction.

One lantern of mine, I finally half wrapped with aluminum foil. got tired of
being blinded when I was near.

I should convert one some day to single warm white led module. I can still
have two levels. Should be easy. I dismantled a variable brightness 360
lantern thinking I was going o convert. There were so many pieces I think I
got frustrated and they are still pieces.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 17:47:03 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've decided to phase out candles. New light sources will include oil lamps,
propane lamps, and battery power lamps.

I phased out candles decades ago. This time I phased out the oil
lamps and replaced them with LED lantern. We also have a few led
flashlights.

Never needed any of them this storm, thankfully. A couple of blinks
is all we had. Still cannot justify a generator. I'd do as well by
setting 1000 $1 bills in the garage and burn them when needed for
light and heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 18:20:53 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I've decided to phase out candles. New light sources will include oil
lamps,
propane lamps, and battery power lamps.

Check out the solar power lawn lamps. Take outside during the day to charge
and bring them in at night.

Have they improved? I bought some and they did not work well at all.
Dim light for a couple of hours on a good day.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

wrote:

On 01/11/12 02:01, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Am I all wrong here? Do traffic lights need more juice than an
inverter could supply? [granted there are 8 lights at the
intersection, but they are LED-- plus the switching equipment]

Yes. There is a fair bit of power involved in lights and cabinents.

Also, it is easier to train people to start, refuel and stop a
generator, than it is to deal with deep discharge batteries and the
inverter.

Also, when you start doing the figures, there can be some heavy currents
running through the cables from the "battery" to the inverter.

Generators are heavier and less portable than batteries and inverter.

then there is the question of the wave form in the inverter Vs the
desired sine wave form of the generator.

Which for the traffic lights could likely be a square wave with
little or no effect.

These days inverters produce "modified sine waves" which is a
stair-step kind of output. Not a square wave, not a sine wave, but a
blend of both.

Fully aware of this. REAL CHEAP inverters are square wave, CHEAP
inverters give you a step wave, better give you modified sine wave,
and high quality give you "true sine".

Similarly, some cheap generators give you a REALLY NASTY "sine wave"
- some with terrible harmonics, some with terrible power factor
distortion into anything but an "ideal" load. Add poor voltage and
frequency control on many cheap generators, and they can cause a LOT
more problems to very sensitive electronics than a reasonable
inverter.

A GOOD generator is better in regulation of voltage and frequency,
with less distortion.

The new Honda Inverter series generators have an extremely clean
sine-wave output with very close frequency and voltage regulation -
with good fuel economy and quiet part throttle operation for low
loads.

I know from experience that electric motors don't like that kind of
input. They run at very low rpm with an MSW. I don't know what the
root mean square (rms voltage) is but I suspect it is a lot less than
0.707 of the peak to peak voltage that you would get with a pure sine
wave.

Lg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 09:42:28 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314
wrote:

On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 8:30:36 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
For me, they include: * Run the generator every year * Boredom is a terrible thing * Candles don't put out enough light to be useful. Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org

Here's a good alternative to candles:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

We bought one of these over a year ago and keep it plugged in and charging up all the time. It got its first use for Sandy and did very well; nice and bright and very convenient.

I will have to think about that. I bought this one a few months ago.
Lasts longer on D" cells, but is not rechargeable.
http://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-SE3DLN...ef=pd_sim_sg_1
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

In article a843e813-2d97-4a4b-b171-
, says...

On Oct 31, 8:40*am, Frank wrote:
On 10/31/2012 8:31 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

For me, they include:

* Run the generator every year
* Boredom is a terrible thing
* Candles don't put out enough light to be useful.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
* *
www.lds.org
.

Things you should have already known.
Family here learned also that you should not run your generator indoors.

My neighbor who came over for water an outage or two ago was complaining
that they could not find any D cells for their portable radio.

Some people never learn.

A inverter is a wonderful thing, just connect to your car battery and
let engine idle. for a 100 bucks you can get a thousand watt inverter,
for lights, radio and a tv if the load isnt too heavy

A thousand watts is 85 amps at 12 volts. Most automotive alternators will fry
if you try to run them at that level, though some heavy duty truck
alternators will handle 1000 watts continuous. Your typical car alternator
will put out 50 amps at 14 volts at 4000 RPM, which is above engine idle. You
can retrofit a heavy duty 150+ amp alternator with a small pulley to make it
spin faster, but modern cars with their tight engine well and serpentine
belts make that a PITA. It would be easier to just get a 3 hp lawnmower
motor, mount a heavy duty alternator and a battery, which would give you 1000
watts easily while running the engine at moderate speed.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Larry wrote:

A thousand watts is 85 amps at 12 volts. Most automotive alternators
will fry if you try to run them at that level, though some heavy duty
truck alternators will handle 1000 watts continuous. Your typical car
alternator will put out 50 amps at 14 volts at 4000 RPM, which is
above engine idle. You can retrofit a heavy duty 150+ amp alternator
with a small pulley to make it spin faster, but modern cars with
their tight engine well and serpentine belts make that a PITA. It
would be easier to just get a 3 hp lawnmower motor, mount a heavy
duty alternator and a battery, which would give you 1000 watts easily
while running the engine at moderate speed.

There are several plans on the web, with parts lists, of lawnmowers
repurposed into generators.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 20:34:02 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I really like those. I got two off ebay. Then, Kmart got them, cheaper.

Those have the blue LED light you don't like?

I really like mine, they provide useful light. The three D cells last a long
time, and provide a stable base.

Are you talking about headlights?

I absolutely HATE those Blue headlights they put on many cars these
days. But they are not LED, they are halogen or something else. They
are so blinding. Worse than most white ones. Even more annoying is
when someone is behind me with those blue headlights. More than once I
thought there was a cop behind me, and once I even pulled over, because
the idiot with his blue headlights must have had a loose bulb mounting
and the light appeared to be flashing. I thought for sure I was being
pulled over by a cop.

If I had anything to say about it, I'd ban those things today.

The old incandescent headlights were always satisfactory for me, and
they did not blind other drivers (unless they had their brights on).
Then came the halogen types, which were brighter, and at times blinded
other drivers. Now they have even brighter ones that can completely
blind other drivers. I thought that headlights were intended to
illuminate the road, not blind other drivers.

Several times on curvy two lane roads I've completely lost all view of
the road because some oncoming dickwad with blinding lights has blinded
me. All I can do is hit my brakes and hope for the best till the
dickwad is past me. And if they are behind me and close, I just pull on
the shoulder and let them pass.

I've sent complaints to the D.O.T several times now. Those overly
bright lights, especially the blue ones are a hazzard.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 01/11/12 20:13, HeyBub wrote:
Larry wrote:

It
would be easier to just get a 3 hp lawnmower motor, mount a heavy
duty alternator and a battery, which would give you 1000 watts easily
while running the engine at moderate speed.

There are several plans on the web, with parts lists, of lawnmowers
repurposed into generators.

Hint, just make sure it is a working lawn mowers engine before you start.

Posted to alt.home.repair

LED are OK for light, but don't put out much heat. Many power cuts, in
winter, and the heat is nice.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

I phased out candles decades ago. This time I phased out the oil
lamps and replaced them with LED lantern. We also have a few led
flashlights.

Never needed any of them this storm, thankfully. A couple of blinks
is all we had. Still cannot justify a generator. I'd do as well by
setting 1000 $1 bills in the garage and burn them when needed for
light and heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lessons from Sandy - LED lantern on D cells only

72 hours of high mode should last many days. The "find me!" blinking LED
sounds totally useful. Anyhow, what's your take? Are you pleased with it?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

I will have to think about that. I bought this one a few months ago.
Lasts longer on D" cells, but is not rechargeable.
http://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-SE3DLN...ef=pd_sim_sg_1

Posted to alt.home.repair

Please see if you can get the link to open, it will be very descriptive:

http://www.kmart.com:80/northwest-te...lockType=G2 2

Takes threee D cells in the base, and has a reflector that pivots up and
down.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:56:38 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
For $36.49, I'd buy two eaches $9.97 fluorescent lantern from Walmart, their house brand "Ozark Trail". Use the rest of the money to buy Raoyvac D batteries. My experience with LED lanterns, the light pattern is really not very even. How's yours? Are you pleased with it? Didn't mean to rain on your parade, but my experiences are different. Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org .

We like it; it's light-weight, long-lasting and can be either set on a flat surface or hung from the hook built into the handle. I hung it from the shower curtain rod to shave by in the morning. It's good for general lighting, like going down to the wine cellar for a bottle, but I wouldn't recommend it for reading. My wife used the flourescent lantern for knitting as it gave better light.

Paul

"Pavel314" wrote in message ... Here's a good alternative to candles: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00 We bought one of these over a year ago and keep it plugged in and charging up all the time. It got its first use for Sandy and did very well; nice and bright and very convenient. Besides the wall charge, it can also run off 3 AAA bateries or you can charge it up with the generator crank on the side. We're going to get a couple more for the next hurricane. The only thing I wish I'd done to prepare was to check the drainage system by my wife's greenhouse. It was clogged with leaves so we ended up with a 3" puddle in front of the door; since my boots are 6" that wasn't a problem, just an annoyance. I start my generator on the first weekend of every month and run it for about five minutes, just so it doesn't rust. (I changed the oil last weekend, figuring that it might get heavy usage during the storm.) Depending on the season, I'll also start the snow blower or garden tiller at the same time to make sure they're ready for action. Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

terryc wrote:
On 01/11/12 20:13, HeyBub wrote:
Larry wrote:

It
would be easier to just get a 3 hp lawnmower motor, mount a heavy
duty alternator and a battery, which would give you 1000 watts
easily while running the engine at moderate speed.

There are several plans on the web, with parts lists, of lawnmowers
repurposed into generators.

Hint, just make sure it is a working lawn mowers engine before you
start.

I have an electric lawnmower...

Never mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 02/11/12 00:28, HeyBub wrote:
terryc wrote:
On 01/11/12 20:13, HeyBub wrote:
Larry wrote:

It
would be easier to just get a 3 hp lawnmower motor, mount a heavy
duty alternator and a battery, which would give you 1000 watts
easily while running the engine at moderate speed.

There are several plans on the web, with parts lists, of lawnmowers
repurposed into generators.

Hint, just make sure it is a working lawn mowers engine before you
start.

I have an electric lawnmower...

Never mind.

lol.

umm, have you considered a hand generator for it?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Lessons from Sandy (store water)

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 19:07:22 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Water containers are free. Most folks drink enough
juice and soda, that they can store a bunch of
water, over a period of time.

If you are doing long term storage, you have to clean them very, very
well. Even a small sugar residue can feed things you don't want in
your water.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 21:13:54 +1100, terryc
wrote:

On 01/11/12 20:13, HeyBub wrote:
Larry wrote:

It
would be easier to just get a 3 hp lawnmower motor, mount a heavy
duty alternator and a battery, which would give you 1000 watts easily
while running the engine at moderate speed.

There are several plans on the web, with parts lists, of lawnmowers
repurposed into generators.

Hint, just make sure it is a working lawn mowers engine before you start.

And an engine from a tiller or snowblower or chipper will work a LOT
better with the cast iron flywheel instead of the aluminum flywheel on
most rotary lawn mowers. Using a rotary mower engine you will need a
big heavy pulley to act as a flywheel or it will be VERY HARD to
start.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Water containers are free. Most folks drink enough
juice and soda, that they can store a bunch of
water, over a period of time.

If you are doing long term storage, you have to clean them very, very
well. Even a small sugar residue can feed things you don't want in
your water.

Clean well, refill ever o often. I use kitty litter jugs, some at least 5
gallon. I treated with chlorine after filling. Right next to storage is 40
gallon hot water heater. More water. I could have really used a medicine
dropper, will get one.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 07:23:07 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

72 hours of high mode should last many days. The "find me!" blinking LED
sounds totally useful. Anyhow, what's your take? Are you pleased with it?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .

I will have to think about that. I bought this one a few months ago.
Lasts longer on D" cells, but is not rechargeable.
http://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-SE3DLN...ef=pd_sim_sg_1

Yes, I am, but I've had little experience with real blackout so far.
I'm going to order another one though, have an upstairs and
downstairs.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

terryc wrote:

I understood they were Indian produced, but I can not besure as the
Chinese are also producing knock offs.

http://wuxi-kipor-power-co-ltd.imexbb.com/

Not many reviews on Amazon, but many are positive. The most negative one
complains about the engine not running at 8000 feet, which shouldn't be an
issue for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you have your preps all in place and tested,
your chances of having a blackout are greatly
reduced. That's my finding, and I'm sticking to it.

For Sandy, I charged all my batteries, bought
gas for the car, new gas for the generator, remelted
some candles that had back wicks, and made sure
I had food in the house. All the FEMA approved
activities. No power cut.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Yes, I am, but I've had little experience with real
blackout so far.

I'm going to order another one though, have an
upstairs and downstairs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Water containers are free. Most folks drink enough
juice and soda, that they can store a bunch of
water, over a period of time.

If you are doing long term storage, you have to clean them very, very
well. Even a small sugar residue can feed things you don't want in
your water.

Clean well, refill ever o often. I use kitty litter jugs, some at
least 5 gallon. I treated with chlorine after filling. Right next to
storage is 40 gallon hot water heater. More water. I could have
really used a medicine dropper, will get one.

Again: Do not drink the water from a water heater (unless sterilized). Use
such water for cleaning or sanitary purposes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you have any water for drinking and cooking?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"gregz" wrote in message

Clean well, refill ever o often. I use kitty litter jugs, some at least 5
gallon. I treated with chlorine after filling. Right next to storage is 40
gallon hot water heater. More water. I could have really used a medicine
dropper, will get one.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gregz" wrote in message

Clean well, refill ever o often. I use kitty litter jugs, some at least 5
gallon. I treated with chlorine after filling. Right next to storage is 40
gallon hot water heater. More water. I could have really used a medicine
dropper, will get one.

Greg

I got water as above. It's a long walk to the river.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"gregz" wrote in message

Clean well, refill ever o often. I use kitty litter jugs, some at least 5
gallon. I treated with chlorine after filling. Right next to storage is 40
gallon hot water heater. More water. I could have really used a medicine
dropper, will get one.

Greg

I got water as above. It's a long walk to the river.

Greg

For long term survival, a water filter would be nice, and a rainwater
collector.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

You consider cat potty containers suited for drinking water? Remind me not
to visit.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"gregz" wrote in message

Clean well, refill ever o often. I use kitty litter jugs, some at least 5
gallon. I treated with chlorine after filling. Right next to storage is 40
gallon hot water heater. More water. I could have really used a medicine
dropper, will get one.

Greg

I got water as above. It's a long walk to the river.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Water containers are free. Most folks drink enough
juice and soda, that they can store a bunch of
water, over a period of time.

If you are doing long term storage, you have to clean them very, very
well. Even a small sugar residue can feed things you don't want in
your water.

Clean well, refill ever o often. I use kitty litter jugs, some at
least 5 gallon. I treated with chlorine after filling. Right next to
storage is 40 gallon hot water heater. More water. I could have
really used a medicine dropper, will get one.

Again: Do not drink the water from a water heater (unless sterilized). Use
such water for cleaning or sanitary purposes.

Or out of the WC (John)

Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

"gregz" wrote in message

Clean well, refill ever o often. I use kitty litter jugs, some at least 5
gallon. I treated with chlorine after filling. Right next to storage is 40
gallon hot water heater. More water. I could have really used a medicine
dropper, will get one.

Greg

I got water as above. It's a long walk to the river.

Greg

For long term survival, a water filter would be nice, and a rainwater
collector.

Greg

Just boil it.

That does not remove contaminants and odor.

Fresh polyethylene or polypropylene clay kitty litter buckets are easy to
clean, unlike containers containing strange liquids, and small lids.
Sometimes I buy the 40 pound plastic containers with handles, and snap lid.
There are also 27 pound, and smaller containers with large lids. I just
bought a large plastic kitty food container.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote:
harry wrote:

"gregz" wrote in message

[...]

I actually have toilets in my mind for the extra large buckets. I mean
pouring into the toilet.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I'm glad that works for you. And the 12 volt charger means, you can charge
it off a car, the next day. What did it cost? And, was / is it worth the
money, for you?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

I don't remember the cost off hand. I think that they were about $34
and the rechargeable battery was extra. Walmart has a version, made
much cheaper, that just has hi and low settings for about $25. So far
I have not needed them, but I will probably get a chance to use them
this winter. It also makes the wife happy not to have a flame. I
also have a couple of oil lamps, just in case. I am trying to get 12
volt chargers for all of my rechargeable items.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote:

Jim Rusling wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

For $36.49, I'd buy two eaches $9.97 fluorescent lantern from Walmart, their
house brand "Ozark Trail". Use the rest of the money to buy Raoyvac D
batteries.

My experience with LED lanterns, the light pattern is really not very even.

How's yours? Are you pleased with it? Didn't mean to rain on your parade,
but my experiences are different.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

We have a couple of these
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-CPX6-High-Tech-LED-Lantern/dp/B00339B0RW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=NI53XQK6Q6TA &coliid=IXWA5I6JIGVBR

I also got the rechargeable batteries for them. The batteries are
sealed lead acid and they come with both a 120v and a 12v charger. You
can also use 4 D cells. The light seems to be very even to me.

I hate looking at lanterns. Especially bluish light ones.

Greg

The light from these seems to be white for me. I know what you mean
by blue LED lights.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've decided to phase out candles. New light sources will include oil lamps,
propane lamps, and battery power lamps.

I phased out candles decades ago. This time I phased out the oil
lamps and replaced them with LED lantern. We also have a few led
flashlights.

Never needed any of them this storm, thankfully. A couple of blinks
is all we had. Still cannot justify a generator. I'd do as well by
setting 1000 $1 bills in the garage and burn them when needed for
light and heat.

You know you are full of????

O/T: Sandy Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 57 November 4th 12 08:17 PM
Sandy, tues, Oct 30 Stormin Mormon[_7_] Home Repair 5 October 30th 12 10:22 PM
Sandy Heath John Rumm UK diy 2 April 24th 12 05:30 PM
Stabilising a sandy screed Donwill UK diy 5 November 28th 06 09:24 PM
sandy brick mortar Redlocks Home Repair 3 November 1st 04 01:51 AM