View Single Post
  #58   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster

Default Lessons from Sandy

On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:56:38 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
For $36.49, I'd buy two eaches $9.97 fluorescent lantern from Walmart, their house brand "Ozark Trail". Use the rest of the money to buy Raoyvac D batteries. My experience with LED lanterns, the light pattern is really not very even. How's yours? Are you pleased with it? Didn't mean to rain on your parade, but my experiences are different. Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org .

We like it; it's light-weight, long-lasting and can be either set on a flat surface or hung from the hook built into the handle. I hung it from the shower curtain rod to shave by in the morning. It's good for general lighting, like going down to the wine cellar for a bottle, but I wouldn't recommend it for reading. My wife used the flourescent lantern for knitting as it gave better light.

Paul

"Pavel314" wrote in message ... Here's a good alternative to candles: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00 We bought one of these over a year ago and keep it plugged in and charging up all the time. It got its first use for Sandy and did very well; nice and bright and very convenient. Besides the wall charge, it can also run off 3 AAA bateries or you can charge it up with the generator crank on the side. We're going to get a couple more for the next hurricane. The only thing I wish I'd done to prepare was to check the drainage system by my wife's greenhouse. It was clogged with leaves so we ended up with a 3" puddle in front of the door; since my boots are 6" that wasn't a problem, just an annoyance. I start my generator on the first weekend of every month and run it for about five minutes, just so it doesn't rust. (I changed the oil last weekend, figuring that it might get heavy usage during the storm.) Depending on the season, I'll also start the snow blower or garden tiller at the same time to make sure they're ready for action. Paul