Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do you turn OFF the lights on a kid's sneaker?

My middle-school kid is embarrassed by the lights on the sneakers him mom
bought him for the start of school.

See picture he
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/9153934.jpg

I told my boy that I'd 'fix' it.

Now I need YOUR help!

How do you turn OFF the lights to a kid's pair of sneakers?
Posted to alt.home.repair

James Gagney wrote in
:

My middle-school kid is embarrassed by the lights on the sneakers him
mom bought him for the start of school.

See picture he
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/9153934.jpg

I told my boy that I'd 'fix' it.

Now I need YOUR help!

How do you turn OFF the lights to a kid's pair of sneakers?

Never encountered this before, but I'm imagining that you would remove the
sole-pad from the inside of the shoe, which ought to expose whatever
battery-access hole is provided in the sole.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 01:45:53 +0000 (UTC), James Gagney
wrote:

My middle-school kid is embarrassed by the lights on the sneakers him mom
bought him for the start of school.

See picture he
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/9153934.jpg

I told my boy that I'd 'fix' it.

Now I need YOUR help!

How do you turn OFF the lights to a kid's pair of sneakers?

This would be my weapon of choice.
http://paverdeck.zxq.net/images/install007.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
James Gagney wrote:
My middle-school kid is embarrassed by the lights on the sneakers him
mom bought him for the start of school.

See picture he
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/9153934.jpg

I told my boy that I'd 'fix' it.

Now I need YOUR help!

How do you turn OFF the lights to a kid's pair of sneakers?

A drill?

I was thinking a nail & a hammer or perhaps an ice pick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 1, 8:45*pm, James Gagney
wrote:
My middle-school kid is embarrassed by the lights on the sneakers him mom
bought him for the start of school.

See picture hehttp://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/9153934.jpg

I told my boy that I'd 'fix' it.

Now I need YOUR help!

How do you turn OFF the lights to a kid's pair of sneakers?

use small drill bit and drill (and damage) out the led?

Senior Member

I can understand your kid's feelings. Those lighted shoes are the stuff moms buy for their 5 and 6 year olds.

I'd use short drywall screws. That way, they wouldn't leave big holes if you took them out.

But leave 'em in. To a kid, buying lighted shoes and wrecking the lights on purpose would be a disrespectful social comment... the kind of stuff kids like.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

James Gagney wrote:
My middle-school kid is embarrassed by the lights on the sneakers him
mom bought him for the start of school.

See picture he
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/9153934.jpg

I told my boy that I'd 'fix' it.

Now I need YOUR help!

How do you turn OFF the lights to a kid's pair of sneakers?

A drill?

A Smith & Wesson?

I was thinking Glock because they are sneakers--- but I understand the
whole made in the USA think, so +1 on that.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nothing like felony shoes with a blinking beacon.

Never fear, the battery will wear out about the time the shoes lose thier
bounce.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"James Gagney" wrote in message
My middle-school kid is embarrassed by the lights on the sneakers him mom
bought him for the start of school.

See picture he
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/9153934.jpg

I told my boy that I'd 'fix' it.

Now I need YOUR help!

How do you turn OFF the lights to a kid's pair of sneakers?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm guessing it's all glued together. You may find some relief by covering
the lenses with black permanant marker.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Tegger" wrote in message

Never encountered this before, but I'm imagining that you would remove the
sole-pad from the inside of the shoe, which ought to expose whatever
battery-access hole is provided in the sole.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at paverdeck.zxq.net.

Check the address for typing errors such as
ww.example.com instead of
www.example.com
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Metspitzer" wrote in message

This would be my weapon of choice.
http://paverdeck.zxq.net/images/install007.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

James Gagney wrote in
:

My middle-school kid is embarrassed by the lights on the sneakers him
mom bought him for the start of school.

See picture he
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/9153934.jpg

I told my boy that I'd 'fix' it.

Now I need YOUR help!

How do you turn OFF the lights to a kid's pair of sneakers?

Give 'em to a pitt bull for a few minutes. Best not to have child wearing
them at the time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/02/2012 05:06 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Server not found
Firefox can't find the server at paverdeck.zxq.net.

Works fine here.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

James Gagney wrote:
My middle-school kid is embarrassed by the lights on the sneakers him
mom bought him for the start of school.

See picture he
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/9153934.jpg

I told my boy that I'd 'fix' it.

Now I need YOUR help!

How do you turn OFF the lights to a kid's pair of sneakers?

I assume that they are battery operated/powered.

If so, maybe try placing the sneakers in a bucket of clean water with a
weight on top to keep them submerged. My guess is that the water will find
its way into the battery area and short out the battery in each sneaker.

Or, if you can figure out what type of pressure (how much, where, etc) will
cause the sneakers to light up, maybe you can place weights or a chair leg
(with weights on the chair) in a position to keep the lights on 24/7 and
wait for the batteries to die out.

I don't know if either idea will work, but those are things that I would try
before trying to take apart the sneakers etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

James Gagney wrote:
My middle-school kid is embarrassed by the lights on the sneakers him
mom bought him for the start of school.

See picture he
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/9153934.jpg

I told my boy that I'd 'fix' it.

Now I need YOUR help!

How do you turn OFF the lights to a kid's pair of sneakers?

I'd try a microwave oven. Someone else's. :-)

Induced voltage might fry the bulbs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

TomR wrote:
James Gagney wrote:
[...]

I thought those things used piezoelectric "generators" to light the LEDs, and
they wouldn't have batteries.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in :

James Gagney wrote:
My middle-school kid is embarrassed by the lights on the sneakers him
mom bought him for the start of school.

See picture he
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/9153934.jpg

I told my boy that I'd 'fix' it.

Now I need YOUR help!

How do you turn OFF the lights to a kid's pair of sneakers?

I'd try a microwave oven. Someone else's. :-)

Insert one of those thumbs up Like thingys.

Induced voltage might fry the bulbs.

Insert one of those thumbs up like thingys.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomR" wrote in :

James Gagney wrote:
My middle-school kid is embarrassed by the lights on the sneakers him
mom bought him for the start of school.

See picture he
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/9153934.jpg

I told my boy that I'd 'fix' it.

Now I need YOUR help!

How do you turn OFF the lights to a kid's pair of sneakers?

I assume that they are battery operated/powered.

If so, maybe try placing the sneakers in a bucket of clean water with
a weight on top to keep them submerged. My guess is that the water
will find its way into the battery area and short out the battery in
each sneaker.

Does that mean they were never meant to be put in a washing machine?

Or, if you can figure out what type of pressure (how much, where, etc)
will cause the sneakers to light up, maybe you can place weights or a
chair leg (with weights on the chair) in a position to keep the lights
on 24/7 and wait for the batteries to die out.

This one has more promise I think...with a variance.

Duct tape it to the tread on your car tire and give it whirl on the road.
A Dualie might prove more effective.

I don't know if either idea will work, but those are things that I
would try before trying to take apart the sneakers etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 9:55*am, "Bob F" wrote:
TomR wrote:

SNIP

If so, maybe try placing the sneakers in a bucket of clean water with
a weight on top to keep them submerged. My guess is that the water
will find its way into the battery area and short out the battery in
each sneaker.
Or, if you can figure out what type of pressure (how much, where,
etc) will cause the sneakers to light up, maybe you can place weights
or a chair leg (with weights on the chair) in a position to keep the
lights on 24/7 and wait for the batteries to die out.

I thought those things used piezoelectric "generators" to light the LEDs, and
they wouldn't have batteries.

I, too, was in the piezo generator vs battery camp... but it appear
that the lighted shoe tech depends on battery, LED and either pressure
or inertial switch.

So it appears that one needs to:
1) disable the swtich
2) use up the battery (figure out how to repeated fire the LEDs or
keep them on)
3) scramble the controller.

FYA
http://www.cringely.com/tag/childrens-shoes/

I also found a link (lost it) that says 5 seconds in the microwave
will kill them.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 12:46*pm, DD_BobK wrote:
[...]

Yes, there is a battery in each shoe, I pried apart a pair my
granddaughter had outgrown to see what there was, just a battery and
some click switches and the LEDs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

I'm guessing it's all glued together. You may find some relief by
covering the lenses with black permanant marker.

With a lot of sneaker-type shoes, the insole is easily removable for the
purpose of installing orthotics. Reach inside and tug at the instep (arch)
area, and slip the insole out of the shoe. Removal of the insole should
reveal any battery compartment in the sole itself.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

A Smith & Wesson?

I was thinking Glock because they are sneakers--- but I understand the
whole made in the USA think, so +1 on that.

Glocks are made in the USA.

As an aside, I used to be a Glock enthusiast. Then a "Glock kaboom" (look
up) happened to the current wife. Here are some pictures; mine was similar
to #2.
https://www.google.com/search?q=gloc...iw=999&bih=473

My Glock kB was similar to:
http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&s...QWmoYEw&zoom=1

No more Bakelite guns for me. Or her. Hurt her lovely hand, it did.

Further info: Glock said they'll REPLACE the gun. Just send it to 'em.
Lifetime warranty and all that. Problem is, sending it next day air, FedEx
(the only way they'll accept it) costs over $50. I've got to collect a LOT
of aluminum cans to reach $50.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 13:55:05 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

A Smith & Wesson?

I was thinking Glock because they are sneakers--- but I understand the
whole made in the USA think, so +1 on that.

Glocks are made in the USA.

*Some* are. The money still goes back to Austria.

-snip-
No more Bakelite guns for me. Or her. Hurt her lovely hand, it did.

Colt, Smith, Wesson, Derringer -- all good Americans who made good
sidearms. and you call yerself a TeXan.g

Further info: Glock said they'll REPLACE the gun. Just send it to 'em.
Lifetime warranty and all that. Problem is, sending it next day air, FedEx
(the only way they'll accept it) costs over $50. I've got to collect a LOT
of aluminum cans to reach $50.

Even for free-- I think I'd hesitate to replace something that just
tried to maim me with the same thing.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

1/16" drill ,also works on 'check engine' lights when selling cars &
trucks.

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/WOODPROJECTS

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

A Smith & Wesson?

I was thinking Glock because they are sneakers--- but I understand
the whole made in the USA think, so +1 on that.

Glocks are made in the USA.

*Some* are. The money still goes back to Austria.

-snip-
No more Bakelite guns for me. Or her. Hurt her lovely hand, it did.

Colt, Smith, Wesson, Derringer -- all good Americans who made good
sidearms. and you call yerself a TeXan.g

Further info: Glock said they'll REPLACE the gun. Just send it to
'em. Lifetime warranty and all that. Problem is, sending it next day
air, FedEx (the only way they'll accept it) costs over $50. I've got
to collect a LOT of aluminum cans to reach $50.

Even for free-- I think I'd hesitate to replace something that just
tried to maim me with the same thing.

So just replace it to sell it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

How about an ice pick through the light?

Or a piece of tape over it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 18:41:13 +0000, Tegger wrote:

Removal of the insole should reveal any battery compartment in the sole
itself.

The sole seems to be in there solid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 12:29:23 -0400, TomR wrote:

If so, maybe try placing the sneakers in a bucket of clean water

Now that's an interesting idea!

place weights ... on 24/7 and wait for the batteries to die out.

That's ANOTHER interesting idea!

I don't know if either idea will work, but those are things that I would
try before trying to take apart the sneakers etc.

I can tell you what does NOT work!

I tried slamming one sneaker against a concrete wall. Many times. The
lights still light - but now something rattles inside the sole.

So, that did NOT work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 10:46:53 -0700, DD_BobK wrote:

I also found a link (lost it) that says 5 seconds in the microwave will
kill them.

Oooooh. That's a great one. The microwave is on the fritz ... but I might
borrow one at work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 17:16:34 +0000, Red Green wrote:

Duct tape it to the tread on your car tire

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 18:21:58 -0400, Jerry OHIO wrote:

1/16" drill ,also works on 'check engine' lights when
selling cars & trucks.

I'm going to try this since it seems to have the most promise of not
ruining anything else!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 21:42:43 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

A drill?

I just bought titanium drill bits for another project ... so that is
going to be my weapon of choice!

I'll let you know what happens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 12:29:23 -0400, "TomR" wrote in
Re How do you turn OFF the lights on
a kid's sneaker?:

James Gagney wrote:
My middle-school kid is embarrassed by the lights on the sneakers him
mom bought him for the start of school.

See picture he
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/9153934.jpg

When my kids were in elementary school 20 years ago I used to use
shoes like that to threaten them when they were misbehaving. I would
threaten to buy a pair and wear them to school when I went to pick
them up. They knew I would do it; although I don't think I could have
found a pair that fit. But they didn't know that.

That got their attention.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

A Smith & Wesson?

I was thinking Glock because they are sneakers--- but I understand the
whole made in the USA think, so +1 on that.

Glocks are made in the USA.

*Some* are. The money still goes back to Austria.

-snip-
No more Bakelite guns for me. Or her. Hurt her lovely hand, it did.

Colt, Smith, Wesson, Derringer -- all good Americans who made good
sidearms. and you call yerself a TeXan.g

Further info: Glock said they'll REPLACE the gun. Just send it to 'em.
Lifetime warranty and all that. Problem is, sending it next day air, FedEx
(the only way they'll accept it) costs over $50. I've got to collect a LOT
of aluminum cans to reach $50.

Even for free-- I think I'd hesitate to replace something that just
tried to maim me with the same thing.

And another great story. You don't have to ship guns back to Glock using
next day air. The much less expensive 2nd day standard works just fine.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-09-02, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Even for free-- I think I'd hesitate to replace something that just
tried to maim me with the same thing.

BINGO!

Seems a lot of ppl swear by Glocks, while a whole lotta other ppl
swear at 'em. One guy on youtube claims to be a very experienced
combat veteran and handgun instructor and claims fewer glocks
fail-to-fire than 1911s. Surprisingly, youtube is fulla glock
fail-to-fire vids.

Personally, I think they suck. Don't like 'em and never have. Feel
terrible in my hand and jes plain hate the trigger. Now I learn they
explode in yer hand. Holy crap! ....you couldn't give me one.

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
Posted to alt.home.repair

James Gagney wrote:
On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 21:42:43 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

A drill?

I just bought titanium drill bits for another project ... so that is
going to be my weapon of choice!

I'll let you know what happens.

I am not sure that a drill is a good idea. First, you would have to guess
where to drill that will kill the lights and won't show damage to the
sneakers. Plus, I wonder what happens if you drill into a lithium
battery -- meaning, will that cause any kinds of battery chemicals to leak
out etc? -- I don't know.

I would try the submerged in water trick first, then maybe the weight to
keep the light on until the battery dies. At least with those two, you
don't have to damage the sneakers.

Another thought that I had -- if it's not too late to do -- is to take the
sneakers to the store where they were purchased, tell them they were a gift
and you have no receipt, and see if you can exchange them for another style
that your kid likes. Tell the gift giver (was it your mother?, I forget)
that you needed to exchange them for size or better fit but they didn't have
that model in the correct size.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-09-02, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Even for free-- I think I'd hesitate to replace something that just
tried to maim me with the same thing.

BINGO!

Seems a lot of ppl swear by Glocks, while a whole lotta other ppl
swear at 'em. One guy on youtube claims to be a very experienced
combat veteran and handgun instructor and claims fewer glocks
fail-to-fire than 1911s. Surprisingly, youtube is fulla glock
fail-to-fire vids.

Personally, I think they suck. Don't like 'em and never have. Feel
terrible in my hand and jes plain hate the trigger. Now I learn they
explode in yer hand. Holy crap! ....you couldn't give me one.

Agreed. My DIL has one. It feels like a toy gun and is about as smooth. I
much preferred my Beretta when we were at the range (I think she did, too). I
think she got the Glock because that's "what everyone has".
Posted to alt.home.repair

James Gagney wrote:
On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 18:21:58 -0400, Jerry OHIO wrote:

1/16" drill ,also works on 'check engine' lights when
selling cars & trucks.

I'm going to try this since it seems to have the most promise of not
ruining anything else!

Other than puncturing any air pockets used for "spring".