Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do you turn OFF the lights on a kid's sneaker?

On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 14:33:36 -0700, Bob F wrote:

Other than puncturing any air pockets used for "spring".

Oh. oh. Good point.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 2:14*am, James Gagney
wrote:
On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 21:42:43 -0500, HeyBub wrote:
A drill?

I just bought titanium drill bits for another project ... so that is
going to be my weapon of choice!

I'll let you know what happens.

Have you considered having a "Dad and Son" outing and exchanging the
sneakers for a pair without lights?

Most stores these days will take back just about anything, including
sneakers that have been worn.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote

Have you considered having a "Dad and Son" outing and exchanging the
sneakers for a pair without lights?

Sometimes people don't want solutions at all, but they just post to see how
far a topic will go. I haven't even looked at this topic until now because
I figured the original poster didn't want to simply return the shoes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 01:09:18 -0700, "David Kaye"
wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote

Have you considered having a "Dad and Son" outing and exchanging the
sneakers for a pair without lights?

Sometimes people don't want solutions at all, but they just post to see how
far a topic will go. I haven't even looked at this topic until now because
I figured the original poster didn't want to simply return the shoes.

The benevolent side of my brain is thinking dad is trying to keep
peace in the family. Mom meant well, so let's just fix the problem
[the lights] without hurting any feelings.

The other side of my brain is saying dad is a cheap lazy ******* who
doesn't want to spend the time and big bucks it would take to replace
the sneakers.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"David Kaye" wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote

Have you considered having a "Dad and Son" outing and exchanging the
sneakers for a pair without lights?

Sometimes people don't want solutions at all, but they just post to see how
far a topic will go. I haven't even looked at this topic until now because
I figured the original poster didn't want to simply return the shoes.

If the title of the post told the whole story, we wouldn't need this
stuff. There is a fairly legitimate reason why the father didn't simply
return the shoes, and he said so in the first post.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 8:50*pm, "

On 2012-09-03, wrote:

much preferred my Beretta.....

I don't like Barettas, either, but I'll take one over a Glock any
day. *At least Barettas have an lovely grip. *Jes what you'd expect
from an Italian. *

I chose my fave pistol by going to a gun shop and telling the clerk to
"line 'em up". *He put out 9 different 9mm pistols. *The Browning
Hi-Power felt the best in my hand, but that was a SA and I wanted a
SA/DA. *The next best was a Sig. *I later went to an indoor range and
shot the top 5 that I liked in the store. *Oh ...I also shot a Glock
9mm, for the first and last time. *The Sig 9mm won hands down.

A Sig .45 is on my short list. *Nothing else I've held feels as good in my
hand as the 92FS, though.

Strangely enough, I ended up buying a Sig P220 in .45 and had it for
years. *Then tried a 1911. *Turns out I actually shoot better with a
1911, which surprised the heck outta me. *I have neither now, but WHEN
(not if) I re-purchase, it will be a Sig in 9mm or a Ruger 1911. *I'm
still partial to Sigs, which rock! *They do it all and feel good doing
it.

The only reason I haven't bought a 1911 is that they're almost impossible to
carry; worse than a 92FS (obviously).

....1911 is that they're almost impossible to carry;

... Good point...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 01:45:53 +0000, James Gagney wrote:

How do you turn OFF the lights to a kid's pair of sneakers?

Woo hoo!.

At first, we had a crisis this morning because we got the oversized laced
sneakers all full of mud on the weekend looking for cave-man rocks to
make cave-man tools for history class ... so my kid was forced to wear
the blinking sneakers.

So I grabbed them, drilled a small (1/32) hole in the first of four
lights, and bingo! It went out, like, well, like a light!

Unfortunately, the second one took quite a few more attempts, so I
drilled the sole horizontally quite a few times, like a woodpecker
looking for bugs in a log; but I finally got it.

I used a larger bit (1/8) on the third and fourth, but now, all four
lights are out. No outrushing air occurred. And, the sneakers seem not
too much worse for the wear.

My kid gladly accepted them, even before I could clean out the shavings
from the numerous poking them out attempts ... and I will snap a photo
for you guys when he gets home from school.

Thanks for your advice; again it worked like a charm.

PS: My old non-titanium drill bits worked just fine!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 14:39:38 +0000 (UTC), James Gagney
wrote:

PS: My old non-titanium drill bits worked just fine!

I thought HSS was the proper material for drilling sneakers. Did you
use WD-40 as a cutting lubricant?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 23:06:45 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I thought HSS was the proper material for drilling sneakers.

Well, the good news is that HSS worked fine!

Here is a picture of an HSS drilled out sneaker!
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/9438454.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 01:45:53 +0000, James Gagney wrote:
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/9153934.jpg
I told my boy that I'd 'fix' it.
How do you turn OFF the lights to a kid's pair of sneakers?

UPDATE:

Success! Thanks for all your advice!

Taking time to aim with the first sneaker, I surgically poked out the
LEDs, one by one with a tiny HSS drill bit:
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/9438451.jpg

With the mom yelling that I had to rush the kid to school, for the second
sneaker I opted for a larger drill bit and used the Russian approach:
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/9438454.jpg

Thanks for all your advice!

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to DD_BobK , M- in Europe wrote:
rkazanjy wrote:

SNIP
and
I, too, was in the piezo generator vs battery camp... but it appear
that the lighted shoe tech depends on battery, LED and either pressure
or inertial switch.
So it appears that one needs to:
1) disable the swtich
2) use up the battery (figure out how to repeated fire the LEDs or
keep them on)
3) scramble the controller.
FYA
http://www.cringely.com/tag/childrens-shoes/
I also found a link (lost it) that says 5 seconds in the microwave
will kill them.
cheers
Bob

The 5 sec in the microwave works!

I had promised my wife I woukd disable the lights of a pair of cute
sneakers my 7 year daughter wanted.

The sneakers arrived from Amazon and I couldn't figure out hiw to disable
the very annoying blinking LEDs.

Tried the microwave, and in 3 or 4 seconds, the LEDs were fried and there
was no other visible damage :-)

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-712065-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

rkazanjy wrote:

[...]

Very clever solution!

Posted to alt.home.repair

rkazanjy wrote:

[...]

Cool, you could do that with your kid's iPhone too. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Might cut down on distractions. More time for books and
studies?

"Like, uh, well, you know, like, and he went... and
then she went.... uh, like, rad, kewl, uh... and then
she went..."

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

The sneakers arrived from Amazon and I couldn't figure out hiw to disable
the very annoying blinking LEDs.

Tried the microwave, and in 3 or 4 seconds, the LEDs were fried and there
was no other visible damage :-)

Cool, you could do that with your kid's iPhone too. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

rkazanjy wrote:

[...]

It was also a clever solution when Bob F suggested it in the original
thread over a year ago.

Another idiot post (M- in Europe) from homemoanershub

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Microwave worked when we did it for 4 seconds, warning it did smoke alittle as it looks like the bulbs pop.....

Microwave worked, we did it for 4 seconds, not any longer as one shoe started smoking after 7 seconds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 10:23:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Microwave worked, we did it for 4 seconds, not any longer as one shoe started smoking after 7 seconds.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2014 2:45 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 10:23:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Microwave worked, we did it for 4 seconds, not any

longer as one shoe started smoking after 7 seconds.

Thanks for sharing!

Your father and I are so proud.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 15:58:41 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Microwave worked, we did it for 4 seconds, not any
onger as one shoe started smoking after 7 seconds.

Thanks for sharing!

Your father and I are so proud.

Jesus loves him. This I know.

A shoe in a microwave - Bah.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nice to see a kid that doesn't follow the crowd(blinking sneakers, ear piercings, pants around his ankles, cap backwards, etc).

But sure, there must be a hatch inside the shoe somewhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Microwave worked, we did it for 4 seconds, not any
onger as one shoe started smoking after 7 seconds.

Thanks for sharing!

Your father and I are so proud.

Jesus loves him. This I know.

A shoe in a microwave - Bah.

Hmmm,
Maybe he was trying to dry a pair of shoes in MW?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Microwave worked, we did it for 4 seconds, not any
onger as one shoe started smoking after 7 seconds.

Thanks for sharing!

Your father and I are so proud.

Jesus loves him. This I know.

A shoe in a microwave - Bah.

Hmmm,
Maybe he was trying to dry a pair of shoes in MW?

Just one shoe. Not both?
Posted to alt.home.repair

MW?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Microwave worked, we did it for 4 seconds, not any
onger as one shoe started smoking after 7 seconds.

Thanks for sharing!

Your father and I are so proud.

Jesus loves him. This I know.

A shoe in a microwave - smoke the toe.

Edited for rhyme,
don't you see?

Improved with team work,
you and the other guy.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

wrote:

Microwave worked, we did it for 4 seconds, not any
onger as one shoe started smoking after 7 seconds.

Thanks for sharing!

Your father and I are so proud.

Jesus loves him. This I know.

A shoe in a microwave - Bah.

Hmmm,
Maybe he was trying to dry a pair of shoes in MW?

Just one shoe. Not both?

I have a many thoughts to share but am trying to reform...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Nice to see a kid that doesn't follow the crowd(blinking sneakers, ear
piercings, pants around his ankles, cap backwards, etc).

But sure, there must be a hatch inside the shoe somewhere.

Stick it in the microwave.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

My kids' school now prohibits light up shoes (and characters, etc.). I put he. In the old microwave set to 5 sec. After 2 sec each spaked. No more lights. Microwave still works fine. Perhaps for e same reason hotockets have foil liners yet don't fry the microwave, the circuit in the shoes doesn't fry it either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you so much for this! The funny thing is I googled a solution on how to get rid of the blinking lights for my son's shoes (dress code prohibits it) and when I clicked on your picture, he has the exact shoes as the OP's pictures!

I ended up using the microwave for 5 seconds, worked like a charm.
There was a little bit of smoking and rubber smell, but it's gone now. Shoes are good to go.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I removed the insert of the shoe...then pulled up the 2nd insert that was glued down....there were wires showing so I clipped them all with scissors then put the two insoles back in. :-) Super easy!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

How to turn lights off on light up tennis shoes

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-03-21 6:01 PM, wrote:
How to turn lights off on light up tennis shoes

Remove the battery?

--
Froz....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/21/17 6:01 PM, wrote:
How to turn lights off on light up tennis shoes

One "urban legend" is to run them in a microwave for a few seconds.
Just not so long that they catch fire !
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 15:01:51 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:

How to turn lights off on light up tennis shoes

Don't buy them in the first place if they are an issue..DAM!

or since someone did:

Take them to the creek and let them have some fun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How to turn lights off on light up tennis shoes

I saw a story about a mugger who wore shoes like that, and after he
mugged someone, he was easy to follow, and they caught him.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 15:20:28 +0200, Micky wrote:

I saw a story about a mugger who wore shoes like that,

It was a "Cops" episode. I saw it as well.