John

Default OTish "gizmo" to to turn off/on lights with PC

This is somewhat OT but I'd like to use my computer to turn lights on and off and
perhaps other appliances. This to to fool would-be burglars. Is there a gizmo
(lacking a better word) which I can plug into my PC USB, LPT1 or other which
would enable this?
Chris

http://www.x10.com/home.html

m Ransley

X 10 products also sold under radio Shacks Plug in power smart home and
others use X10 protical . You could easily use wall timers with variable
on off and digtal wall timers and save computer running power. X10 -
Radio shack probably also sells a stand alone timer to control banks of
lights even exterior motion sensing lights, and wall switch-dimmers and
apliance modules. I use them for remote on - off, on exterior-interior
even from standard built in 3 button car garage door openers and hand
held units. You can control exerything with X10. Leutron, etc use the
same protical but Radio shack is cheaper. I even control fan speeds on
my remote.

Philip Lewis

Cheapest solution: use appliance timers
more flexibility: look into X10 products.
You can get started for $60 with computer control.

--
be safe.
flip

Brian

I sell several options. X10 would not be my first choice.
I use product called Zwave. No need to plug anything into PC the remote has
a burglar detterant built in.

--

---------------------------------------
Brian A. Dye

http://tech-home.com
---------------------------------------

"John" wrote in message
This is somewhat OT but I'd like to use my computer to turn lights on and
off and
perhaps other appliances. This to to fool would-be burglars. Is there a
gizmo
(lacking a better word) which I can plug into my PC USB, LPT1 or other
which
would enable this?

Philip Lewis

"Brian" writes:
I sell several options. X10 would not be my first choice.
I use product called Zwave. No need to plug anything into PC the remote has
a burglar detterant built in.

zwave is *alot* more expensive than X10. (lamp moduals are about 10Xs
the price 45 vrs ~$4 (on sale)) I might be interested in zwave if the per unit price gets under
$20/unit. It has some nice features, but for a non "critical" event
like this... i still would consider using the old manual appliance
timers. (hint: plug one into another and feed lamps off of both to get
a less "repeated" routine.)

It's all about the amount of money you want to spend.

--
be safe.
flip

Doug Kanter

"John" wrote in message
This is somewhat OT but I'd like to use my computer to turn lights on and
off and
perhaps other appliances. This to to fool would-be burglars. Is there a
gizmo
(lacking a better word) which I can plug into my PC USB, LPT1 or other
which
would enable this?

I almost did this last year because last time I looked at timers in home
improvement stores, Intermatic (the major brand) still did not make anything
except those timers with the little pegs you pull out or push in. Now,
though, they've got quite a few digital versions, both wall mount and
freestanding, with the ability to randomize the on/off times. You might want
to look at those before leaving your computer running constantly.

Joseph Meehan

www.smarthome.com as quite a few items as well.

--
Joseph Meehan