charbroil bad

Default Wiring 'Dual Master' motion sensing lights

I picked up a pair of Heath/Zenith Dual Brite Motion sensing
porch lights. Mod# sl-4151-br1-b. The kind you can set to stay
on dim all night but turn on bright when motion is detected.

I'm going to mount them either side of the 2 car garage door.
I want to wire them so that if either unit detects motion they
both turn on.

The directions call this a "dual master system" but don't tell
you how to do it.

The lights have a black, white and red wire.
Directions say:
One light, use black/white.
Two lights, use black/white and the red is the hot to second light.
Two motion sensing lights, use white/black and the red is the hot to
the second(slave) motion sensing light tied to both its black and red.

I figure i will need a third conductor between the two lights
(got a roll of 14/3 laying around). but how do you wire it up
so either will turn the other on?

p.s. if it matters, the red is actually a pigtail off a red and a black
going to the motion sensor.
SQLit

"charbroil bad" wrote in message
om...
I picked up a pair of Heath/Zenith Dual Brite Motion sensing
porch lights. Mod# sl-4151-br1-b. The kind you can set to stay
on dim all night but turn on bright when motion is detected.

I'm going to mount them either side of the 2 car garage door.
I want to wire them so that if either unit detects motion they
both turn on.

The directions call this a "dual master system" but don't tell
you how to do it.

The lights have a black, white and red wire.
Directions say:
One light, use black/white.
Two lights, use black/white and the red is the hot to second light.
Two motion sensing lights, use white/black and the red is the hot to
the second(slave) motion sensing light tied to both its black and red.

Directions are pretty clear to me.

I figure i will need a third conductor between the two lights
(got a roll of 14/3 laying around). but how do you wire it up
so either will turn the other on?

These lights are designed to operate in pairs form one switch. One light
acts as the master doing the controling and the second is the slave.
Since you want to run them seperately. Run a 14-2 with ground from your
powered switch source for light 1 and another run from switch 2 to light 2.
Connect the ground and the black and whites to their colors on the feed wire
and you now have two master fixtures.
One light, use black/white.

Ignore the rest of the directions.
Please turn off the correct breaker before making the connections.

p.s. if it matters, the red is actually a pigtail off a red and a black
going to the motion sensor.

charbroil bad

"SQLit" wrote in message news:LTQic.92142$U83.2406@fed1read03...
[...]

Yes. But, the directions mention a "dual master" setup allowing motion
detected by either lamp to turn them BOTH on. This is the setup I want.

Since you want to run them seperately. Run a 14-2 with ground from your
powered switch source for light 1 and another run from switch 2 to light 2.
Connect the ground and the black and whites to their colors on the feed wire
and you now have two master fixtures.

I don't want them to run seperately. I want to daisy chain the sensors so
detection by either sensor turns on both lights.

Thanks for trying.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to charbroil bad, Ed wrote:
This is exactly what I want to do, it gives you no instructions on how to do
this. I have to motion sensors on either side of my garage. I want either one
of the motions to get gone all three lights. What I mean by all three lights I
have a wall pack that I want to kick on when motion is detected from either
fixture.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ts-519231-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 7, 2016 at 1:44:05 PM UTC-4, Ed wrote:
replying to charbroil bad, Ed wrote:
This is exactly what I want to do, it gives you no instructions on how to do
this. I have to motion sensors on either side of my garage. I want either one
of the motions to get gone all three lights. What I mean by all three lights I
have a wall pack that I want to kick on when motion is detected from either
fixture.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ts-519231-.htm

Perhaps by "Dual master motion sensing lights" they mean you can have
two of them (dual), but only one of them acts as the master. That is
the lights are dual, work together, but only one is master. If the
instructions only say how to wire it up like that, not where either one
can trigger the other, that may be what they mean. Try calling or emailing
their support?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 May 2016 17:44:01 +0000, Ed
wrote:

replying to charbroil bad, Ed wrote:
This is exactly what I want to do, it gives you no instructions on how to do
this. I have to motion sensors on either side of my garage. I want either one
of the motions to get gone all three lights. What I mean by all three lights I
have a wall pack that I want to kick on when motion is detected from either
fixture.

I have 2 heads feeding the same set of lights, no problem. Just be
sure they are on the same circuit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/7/2016 1:44 PM, Ed wrote:
replying to charbroil bad, Ed wrote:
This is exactly what I want to do, it gives you no instructions on how
to do
this. I have to motion sensors on either side of my garage. I want
either one
of the motions to get gone all three lights. What I mean by all three
lights I
have a wall pack that I want to kick on when motion is detected from
either
fixture.

To make two lights function as Masters (meaning both lights illuminate
whenever either sensor is triggered) they usually have a red wire in
each fixture which need to be connected to each other. This usually
requires a separate wire running parallel with the hot/neutral/ground
wire. The reds must be connected together.