Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default How do you turn OFF the lights on a kid's sneaker?

James Gagney wrote:
On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 21:42:43 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

A drill?

I just bought titanium drill bits for another project ... so that is
going to be my weapon of choice!

I'll let you know what happens.

I am not sure that a drill is a good idea. First, you would have to guess
where to drill that will kill the lights and won't show damage to the
sneakers. Plus, I wonder what happens if you drill into a lithium
battery -- meaning, will that cause any kinds of battery chemicals to leak
out etc? -- I don't know.

I would try the submerged in water trick first, then maybe the weight to
keep the light on until the battery dies. At least with those two, you
don't have to damage the sneakers.

Another thought that I had -- if it's not too late to do -- is to take the
sneakers to the store where they were purchased, tell them they were a gift
and you have no receipt, and see if you can exchange them for another style
that your kid likes. Tell the gift giver (was it your mother?, I forget)
that you needed to exchange them for size or better fit but they didn't have
that model in the correct size.