Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hiding places

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8401774/Th...-Hiding-Places

Using a wall outlet box with a telephone jack cover is a pretty good
one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-08-20, Metspitzer wrote:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/8401774/Th...-Hiding-Places

Using a wall outlet box with a telephone jack cover is a pretty good
one.

Too bad they didn't know where to hide a functioning server.

"Scribd is down as of 16:14 EDT for maintenance."

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 16:03:44 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

Using a wall outlet box with a telephone jack cover is a pretty good
one.

... and four pages of more places

http://www.misdefenseproducts.com/Hiding-Places-for-Valuables-p-1-c-272.html

(JB Brake Cleaner Secret Safes)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Using a wall outlet box with a telephone jack cover is a pretty good
one.

.. and four pages of more places

http://www.misdefenseproducts.com/Hiding-Places-for-Valuables-p-1-c-272.html

(JB Brake Cleaner Secret Safes)

Take a storage box about the size of a VCR tape box, and screw the lid
to the bottom of a table/desk or the inside of a closet so the hinge
side is down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Using a wall outlet box with a telephone jack cover is a pretty good
one.

.. and four pages of more places

http://www.misdefenseproducts.com/Hiding-Places-for-Valuables-p-1-c-272.html

(JB Brake Cleaner Secret Safes)

I don't think the beer can safes are very "safe."
Ajax cleaner under the sink looks decent.

--
Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 20, 4:03*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/8401774/Th...ecret-Hiding-P...

Using a wall outlet box with a telephone jack cover is a pretty good
one.

Lest we forget Paul Bernardo's secret hiding place for his morbid
video tapes:
the recessed light fixtures in the bathroom (or any light fixture).
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Using a wall outlet box with a telephone jack cover is a pretty good
one.

.. and four pages of more places

http://www.misdefenseproducts.com/Hiding-Places-for-Valuables-p-1-c-272.html

(JB Brake Cleaner Secret Safes)

I don't think the beer can safes are very "safe."
Ajax cleaner under the sink looks decent.

Anything that is portable doesn't seem as good as being attached.
Rigging up a plumbing pipe to look like a clean out port seems really
easy and very inconspicuous.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Using a wall outlet box with a telephone jack cover is a pretty good
one.

.. and four pages of more places

http://www.misdefenseproducts.com/Hiding-Places-for-Valuables-p-1-c-272.html

(JB Brake Cleaner Secret Safes)

I don't think the beer can safes are very "safe."
Ajax cleaner under the sink looks decent.

A crook will take your beer, but is not likely looking for cleaning
products :-\
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8401774/Th...-Hiding-Places

Using a wall outlet box with a telephone jack cover is a pretty good
one.

There are literally hundreds of places to hide things. If you can get
in during construction you can do some very interesting things.
If you want a hidden compartment much deeper than 3.5", be sure you
can't see both sides of the wall without walking around a corner or
two so the extra depth of the wall is not as apparent.

And be sure a "trusted" loved one knows about your stash.
Otherwise it could belong to the guy replacing the drywall 20 years
down the road.

--
Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8401774/Th...-Hiding-Places

Using a wall outlet box with a telephone jack cover is a pretty good
one.

There are literally hundreds of places to hide things. If you can get
in during construction you can do some very interesting things.
If you want a hidden compartment much deeper than 3.5", be sure you
can't see both sides of the wall without walking around a corner or
two so the extra depth of the wall is not as apparent.

And be sure a "trusted" loved one knows about your stash.
Otherwise it could belong to the guy replacing the drywall 20 years
down the road.

I thought of that too. I have a folder in my stuff with my only
sister's name on it. It lists my bank accounts and were I keep my
safety deposit key and the location of anything interesting.

I was thinking about maybe passwords, but I haven't done that yet.
Since all my bills (and credit card payment) come directly out of my
checking account I told her the first thing she should do is close my
checking account.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8401774/Th...-Hiding-Places

Using a wall outlet box with a telephone jack cover is a pretty good
one.

To run some wires, yesterday I had to remove the decorative covering
from the sides of my car's trunk and I realized there are a lot of
good places to hide things behind it.

Now I'm trying to think of something to hide!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8401774/Th...-Hiding-Places

Using a wall outlet box with a telephone jack cover is a pretty good
one.

There are literally hundreds of places to hide things. If you can get
in during construction you can do some very interesting things.
If you want a hidden compartment much deeper than 3.5", be sure you
can't see both sides of the wall without walking around a corner or
two so the extra depth of the wall is not as apparent.

IN the houser I grew up in, there were drawers in the hall. My
brother's closet was behind them but there was a couple feet of empty
space and when we went out of town I would crawl in where the lowest
drawer went and hide stuff. We got it out just in time, because
eventually I was t oo big to get in there!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 00:44:51 -0400, micky
wrote:

To run some wires, yesterday I had to remove the decorative covering
from the sides of my car's trunk and I realized there are a lot of
good places to hide things behind it.

Now I'm trying to think of something to hide!!

Crap ! ! ! You just reminded me, I traded my car in two weeks ago
and a house key was hidden in it. I use that key probably once a year
to get in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hope the buyer doesn't find the key, and come visit you?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

To run some wires, yesterday I had to remove the decorative covering
from the sides of my car's trunk and I realized there are a lot of
good places to hide things behind it.

Now I'm trying to think of something to hide!!

Crap ! ! ! You just reminded me, I traded my car in two weeks ago
and a house key was hidden in it. I use that key probably once a year
to get in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8401774/Th...ecret-Hiding-P....

Using a wall outlet box with a telephone jack cover is a pretty good
one.

To run some wires, yesterday I had to remove the decorative covering
from the sides of my car's trunk and I realized there are a lot of
good places to hide things behind it.

Now I'm trying to think of something to hide!!

The dog will still smell it *;-)

And the cops and dopers know all about it.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

To run some wires, yesterday I had to remove the decorative covering
from the sides of my car's trunk and I realized there are a lot of
good places to hide things behind it.

Now I'm trying to think of something to hide!!

Crap ! ! ! *You just reminded me, *I traded my car in two weeks ago
and a house key was hidden in it. *I use that key probably once a year
to get in.

When I was dispatching for the county some 20years ago I had a call
from a guy. He bought a used car and found a sawed off shotgun under
the rear seat.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

To run some wires, yesterday I had to remove the decorative covering
from the sides of my car's trunk and I realized there are a lot of
good places to hide things behind it.

Now I'm trying to think of something to hide!!

Crap ! ! ! You just reminded me, I traded my car in two weeks ago
and a house key was hidden in it. I use that key probably once a year
to get in.

The dealer probably won't find it, and the new owner won't find it for
years and won't know who you are anyhow, right?

OTOH, if the car is still there, you could go look at it like a
customer and take the key. It's worth 2 dollars these days. After
you have the key, you can tell them you were the owner (when they are
charging you with grand theft.)

And thanks, I had a house key in my last car's trunk, and I really
should have hidden it. So now I know what to hide. Although I
think under the turnk carpet will be good enough.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 07:26:42 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

When I was dispatching for the county some 20years ago I had a call
from a guy. He bought a used car and found a sawed off shotgun under
the rear seat.

Harry K

There are recent news accounts of people driving to Mexico:

"...As an example of how devilish the Juarez Cartel can be, it has
developed an insidious way to smuggle drugs across the border by
planting them in the cars of innocent people. The cartel gains entry
to the vehicles by using locksmiths who have access to the VIN of
automobiles, for which keys can then be made. Using GPS devices, the
vehicles are tracked from Juarez to El Paso and then the contraband
picked up. Numerous people have gone to jail or prison for smuggling
drugs they didn’t know they had in the trunks of their cars!"

http://kosmo.hubpages.com/hub/What-Should-I-Know-about-Mexicos-Drug-Cartels
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8401774/Th...-Hiding-Places

Using a wall outlet box with a telephone jack cover is a pretty good
one.

There are literally hundreds of places to hide things. If you can get
in during construction you can do some very interesting things.
If you want a hidden compartment much deeper than 3.5", be sure you
can't see both sides of the wall without walking around a corner or
two so the extra depth of the wall is not as apparent.

And be sure a "trusted" loved one knows about your stash.
Otherwise it could belong to the guy replacing the drywall 20 years
down the road.

If your "trusted loved one" didn't take it first.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"He's a born-again Christian. The trouble is, he suffered brain damage
during rebirth."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/21/2012 07:40 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

[snip]

Crap ! ! ! You just reminded me, I traded my car in two weeks ago
and a house key was hidden in it. I use that key probably once a year
to get in.

With your name and address on a tag attached to the key?

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"He's a born-again Christian. The trouble is, he suffered brain damage
during rebirth."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/20/2012 03:03 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/8401774/Th...-Hiding-Places

Using a wall outlet box with a telephone jack cover is a pretty good
one.

When I added a 120V outlet to my bathroom (wiring already in the wall) I
made the hole on the wrong side of the stud. I put a box in and added a
blank cover to make a hiding place.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"He's a born-again Christian. The trouble is, he suffered brain damage
during rebirth."
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pavel314" wrote in message

On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:19:51 PM UTC-4, Doug Miller wrote:
micky wrote in
news:bcb738t0ftffrte2jev3b2famvdffcn7h8@ 4ax.com: And thanks, I had a
house key in my last car's trunk, and I really should have hidden it. So
now I know what to hide. Although I think under the turnk carpet will be
good enough. When we lived out in the country, we kept a spare key on the
dog's collar.

I hid the key in a really good hiding place, then put an old, obsolete key
in a fairly obvious hiding place. I figure that anyone finding the old key
will try in in the door, see it doesn't work, and quit looking for more
keys.

Now that is the best idea yet. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 13:09:07 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 08/21/2012 07:40 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

[snip]

Crap ! ! ! You just reminded me, I traded my car in two weeks ago
and a house key was hidden in it. I use that key probably once a year
to get in.

With your name and address on a tag attached to the key?

Fortunately, no. The car was still on the lot, now for sale, so I
may swing buy and see if it is still in there. The dealer has photos
of it on the web site and the truck has been cleaned and vacuumed
though so the liner may have been taken out for that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 21, 7:32*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 15:38:12 -0400, wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 19:19:51 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

micky wrote in news:bcb738t0ftffrte2jev3b2famvdffcn7h8@
4ax.com:

And thanks, I had a house key in my last car's trunk, and I really
should have hidden it. * So now I know what to hide. * Although I
think under the turnk carpet will be good enough.

When we lived out in the country, we kept a spare key on the dog's collar.

What is a house key?
I have had a combination lock on my front door since 1971 (my first
house). My daughter never had one until she moved away.

My car has the proximity device so I don't have to reach into the
pocket. *I'd like to have it on the house for when you come home and
are carrying some bags of groceries.

I have a question about those 'proximity' keys. How do you keep the
doors locked
whenyou are in the car? Is it disabled when the engine starts or
something?

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote in news:bcb738t0ftffrte2jev3b2famvdffcn7h8@ 4ax.com: And thanks, I had a house key in my last car's trunk, and I really should have hidden it. So now I know what to hide. Although I think under the turnk carpet will be good enough. When we lived out in the country, we kept a spare key on the dog's collar.

I hid the key in a really good hiding place, then put an old, obsolete key in a fairly obvious hiding place. I figure that anyone finding the old key will try in in the door, see it doesn't work, and quit looking for more keys.

When I lived in Brooklyn, NY, I got a car with a burglar alarm**,

But for an extra measure of protection, I mounted a hood release
handle in the grill or under the bumper with a cable that was meant to
go to the hood release, but instead I connected it to a swtich that
set off the burglar alarm. That was all it did.

Once I found the siren going, and my switch had fooled someone who
left without opening the car, (or maybe it was just an accident when
someone bumped the car while parking and set off my alarm via the
mercury switches)

** and that pretty much ended break-ins, (Until I rented a spot in a
lot that couldn't be seen from the street,.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 20:52:31 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

My car has the proximity device so I don't have to reach into the
pocket. *I'd like to have it on the house for when you come home and
are carrying some bags of groceries.

I have a question about those 'proximity' keys. How do you keep the
doors locked
whenyou are in the car? Is it disabled when the engine starts or
something?

Harry K

The fob does not unlock the doors, it allows them to be unlocked when
I just touch the button on the door handle. (although I think some do
unlock them) It is also impossible to lock it in the car. The sensor
knows if it is inside or outside of the car and will not allow you to
manually lock the doors from the handle if the fob is inside.

The doors lock when I put the car in gear and they can also be locked
with a button on the arm rest.

You can also program how some functions work. One touch can open only
the driver's door or you can change it to unlock all doors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 01:38:05 -0400, micky
wrote:

I wanted a house door lock with a remote, but they are rare and if I
found one it was very expensive. Or it ran on batteries and I hate
batteries.

How does the proximity device work?. What brand?

It gives of some RF signal I guess, for a short distance. As for
brand, it comes with the car. Many cars have them now and you push a
button to start.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Thanks. Good explanation.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
news
It gives of some RF signal I guess, for a short distance. As for
brand, it comes with the car. Many cars have them now and you push a
button to start.

Ed, is there a way to turn the engine off in an emergency? Unlock the
doors? I am thinking of some malfunction that makes the car refuse to
brake, as well as driving into a canal. Do you have one of those emergency
hammers that will break the glass of the window like this

http://www.amazon.com/LifeHammer-Ori...rgency-Hammer-
Orange/dp/B000BN3A4Y?

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/21/2012 02:30 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:19:51 PM UTC-4, Doug Miller wrote:
micky wrote in news:bcb738t0ftffrte2jev3b2famvdffcn7h8@ 4ax.com: And thanks, I had a house key in my last car's trunk, and I really should have hidden it. So now I know what to hide. Although I think under the turnk carpet will be good enough. When we lived out in the country, we kept a spare key on the dog's collar.

I hid the key in a really good hiding place, then put an old, obsolete key in a fairly obvious hiding place. I figure that anyone finding the old key will try in in the door, see it doesn't work, and quit looking for more keys.

I did something like that with a keypad lock. On the paper that had the
code on it, I drew a line through it (still leaving it readable) and
wrote a fake code next to it.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Ignorance is self-inflicted stupidity." -- Barry B. Longyear, The
Tomorrow Testament
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 22, 2:11*pm, Mark Lloyd wrote:
[...]

What did you do with the paper?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

how does it tell whether the fob is inside or outside? mine has an
antenna in each door and the rear bumper. when you get witihn 6' of an
antenna, it unlocks, and can't be locked if it's still near an antenna
unless it's inserted into the ignition and turned. if it's anywhere
within 6' of the car, you can't lock it without it self-unlocking (until
the fob battery goes dead. damhikt).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Using a wall outlet box with a telephone jack cover is a pretty good
one.

.. and four pages of more places

http://www.misdefenseproducts.com/Hiding-Places-for-Valuables-p-1-c-272.html

(JB Brake Cleaner Secret Safes)

I don't think the beer can safes are very "safe."

For sure. The guy might want a beer. Or a coke. Even if they're
warm. After all he can put it in the fridge to get cold.

Ajax cleaner under the sink looks decent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 14:29:28 -0700 (PDT), GoogaICQ
wrote:

On Aug 20, 4:03*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/8401774/Th...ecret-Hiding-P...

Using a wall outlet box with a telephone jack cover is a pretty good
one.

Lest we forget Paul Bernardo's secret hiding place for his morbid
video tapes:
the recessed light fixtures in the bathroom (or any light fixture).

Wasn't the heat there hard on video tapes?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

micky wrote in news:bcb738t0ftffrte2jev3b2famvdffcn7h8@
4ax.com:

And thanks, I had a house key in my last car's trunk, and I really
should have hidden it. * So now I know what to hide. * Although I
think under the turnk carpet will be good enough.

When we lived out in the country, we kept a spare key on the dog's collar.

What is a house key?
I have had a combination lock on my front door since 1971 (my first
house). My daughter never had one until she moved away.

My car has the proximity device so I don't have to reach into the
pocket. *I'd like to have it on the house for when you come home and
are carrying some bags of groceries.

I wanted a house door lock with a remote, but they are rare and if I
found one it was very expensive. *Or it ran on batteries and I hate
batteries.

How does the proximity device work?. *What brand?- Hide quoted text -

How would you like it to be powered if not by batteries?

Obviously you wouldn't want a corded remote, so that will have to use
batteries.

As far as the lock itself, do you plan to run wires through the door
slab (or - worse yet - surface mount them) to get power to the lock?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 10:10:09 -0500, Jim Yanik
wrote:

it's dumb hiding your housekey under the truck carpet;
if a service guy has to lift the carpet to access your spare tire,they'll
find the key,and they have your address from your car registration. they
can send a friend over while you're still in the shop waiting room.

Similar true situation:

My neighbors car window was broken into at her work. They stole only
her garage door opener. They found her address from her registration.
They drove to her house (in their own car), opened the garage door,
drove in, and closed the garage door. They then burglarized her house,
no hurry since everything looked ok from the outside, and she was at
work still unaware of her car's broken window.

Apparently this is a well known method. Two precautions I now take. I
keep the garage door opener out of plain sight. And I use a strategic
rip though the numbers on my registration making my address
unreadable. Hopefully hiding the opener will save me the broken car
window, and if not at least they don't know where I live.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 22, 11:27*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I'm sure that will totally bumfoozle anyone finding the paper.

Harry K