Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_3_] chaniarts[_3_] is offline

Default Hiding places

On 8/22/2012 3:05 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 20:52:31 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

My car has the proximity device so I don't have to reach into the
pocket. I'd like to have it on the house for when you come home and
are carrying some bags of groceries.

I have a question about those 'proximity' keys. How do you keep the
doors locked
whenyou are in the car? Is it disabled when the engine starts or
something?

Harry K

The fob does not unlock the doors, it allows them to be unlocked when
I just touch the button on the door handle. (although I think some do
unlock them) It is also impossible to lock it in the car. The sensor
knows if it is inside or outside of the car and will not allow you to
manually lock the doors from the handle if the fob is inside.

The doors lock when I put the car in gear and they can also be locked
with a button on the arm rest.

You can also program how some functions work. One touch can open only
the driver's door or you can change it to unlock all doors.

how does it tell whether the fob is inside or outside? mine has an
antenna in each door and the rear bumper. when you get witihn 6' of an
antenna, it unlocks, and can't be locked if it's still near an antenna
unless it's inserted into the ignition and turned. if it's anywhere
within 6' of the car, you can't lock it without it self-unlocking (until
the fob battery goes dead. damhikt).