Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hiding places

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:52:30 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

On Aug 22, 11:27*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 22, 2:11*pm, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 08/21/2012 02:30 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:19:51 PM UTC-4, Doug Miller wrote:
micky wrote in news:bcb738t0ftffrte2jev3b2famvdffcn7h8@ 4ax.com: And thanks, I had a house key in my last car's trunk, and I really should have hidden it. So now I know what to hide. Although I think under the turnk carpet will be good enough. When we lived out in the country, we kept a spare key on the dog's collar.

I hid the key in a really good hiding place, then put an old, obsolete key in a fairly obvious hiding place. I figure that anyone finding the old key will try in in the door, see it doesn't work, and quit looking for more keys.

I did something like that with a keypad lock. On the paper that had the
code on it, I drew a line through it (still leaving it readable) and
wrote a fake code next to it.

--
Mark Lloydhttp://notstupid.us

"Ignorance is self-inflicted stupidity." -- Barry B. Longyear, The
Tomorrow Testament

What did you do with the paper?

I'm sure that will totally bumfoozle anyone finding the paper.

Harry K

Engrave the combination on the back of the lock. Add 4 to each
number.
Or subtract 3
or subtract 5
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 22 Aug 2012 17:09:35 GMT, Han wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
news
It gives of some RF signal I guess, for a short distance. As for
brand, it comes with the car. Many cars have them now and you push a
button to start.

Ed, is there a way to turn the engine off in an emergency? Unlock the
doors? I am thinking of some malfunction that makes the car refuse to
brake, as well as driving into a canal. Do you have one of those emergency
hammers that will break the glass of the window like this

http://www.amazon.com/LifeHammer-Ori...rgency-Hammer-
Orange/dp/B000BN3A4Y?

The engine can be shut down by holding the dash start/stop button for
a couple of seconds. Doors can be unlocked by just pulling on the
handle as you normally would and it is a mechanical connection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 10:10:09 -0500, Jim Yanik
wrote:

it's dumb hiding your housekey under the truck carpet;
if a service guy has to lift the carpet to access your spare tire,they'll
find the key,and they have your address from your car registration. they
can send a friend over while you're still in the shop waiting room.

if you have the car detailed,the guy will probably find the key.

but to really scare you,Google or Wiki search "bump key".

Can't remember the last time I had the spare out. Probably 20 years.
As for detailing, I've been driving 50 years and never had it done.

Given the odds I'll continue to take the risk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 12:37:56 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Aug 22, 1:38*am, micky wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 22:32:25 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 15:38:12 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 19:19:51 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

micky wrote in news:bcb738t0ftffrte2jev3b2famvdffcn7h8@
4ax.com:

And thanks, I had a house key in my last car's trunk, and I really
should have hidden it. * So now I know what to hide. * Although I
think under the turnk carpet will be good enough.

When we lived out in the country, we kept a spare key on the dog's collar.

What is a house key?
I have had a combination lock on my front door since 1971 (my first
house). My daughter never had one until she moved away.

My car has the proximity device so I don't have to reach into the
pocket. *I'd like to have it on the house for when you come home and
are carrying some bags of groceries.

I wanted a house door lock with a remote, but they are rare and if I
found one it was very expensive. *Or it ran on batteries and I hate
batteries.

How does the proximity device work?. *What brand?- Hide quoted text -

How would you like it to be powered if not by batteries?

House current.

Obviously you wouldn't want a corded remote, so that will have to use
batteries.

It wasn't just the remote. It was the door lock that used batteries.

As far as the lock itself, do you plan to run wires through the door
slab (or - worse yet - surface mount them) to get power to the lock?

Yes, drilling a hole through the slab, but I would need a lock
mechanism designed to run on 110.

Alternatively, I'd like something like an apartment door buzzer.
Where the mechanism is in the jamb. But I don't think they make one
that isn't easy to kick in. With apartment lobbies it doesn't matter
that much because if one waits long enough, someone will let a person
in.

When I put my burglar alarm in, I put roller switches in the sliding
door channels on the bottom, so that I could leave the door open a few
inches without triggering the alarm. Then I, caught the wire when it
was above the ceiling in the basement, and used a snake to pull it to
the laundry room which has no ceiling. . Extra time spent up front
and then testing but no maintence required for decades.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Or all of the above.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 10:10:09 -0500, Jim Yanik
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Good point. I'll hide it in one of those hiding places that started
the thread.

I never had a spare under the carpet before this year, but otoh, no
one has been in my trunk for 10 or 20 years. Even when I buy a tire,
I take it out of and put it in the trunk myself. I"m not sure why.

Also, I don't leave my car registration in the car, but if I go to a
garage, they can probably get my address from my phone or because I
give them my address. In some states they can get it from the state
by asking about the license plate, but since that actress was murdered
in California, some states have stopped that.

Despite all this, I'll hide it better. Thanks.

if you have the car detailed,the guy will probably find the key.

but to really scare you,Google or Wiki search "bump key".

Yeah, I've heard about that. I don't think the guys who rob houses
around here have, however.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

it's dumb hiding your housekey under the truck carpet;
if a service guy has to lift the carpet to access your spare tire,they'll
find the key,and they have your address from your car registration. they
can send a friend over while you're still in the shop waiting room.

if you have the car detailed,the guy will probably find the key.

but to really scare you,Google or Wiki search "bump key".

Can't remember the last time I had the spare out. Probably 20 years.
As for detailing, I've been driving 50 years and never had it done.

Given the odds I'll continue to take the risk.

BTW, my '95 Lebaron had a valet key, but it was the same key on a
slightly different blank. The regular key went in all four locks,
but the valet key wouldn't go in the trunk or glove box. But all
someone would have to do is copy the valet key to the other blank.

Toyota 2000 does it differently, both keys fit all locks, but the keys
are cut differently, and if I do take my car in, I'll try to bring
the valet key so no one can get in the turnk. There's a way to
dsable the remote trunk release by turning the trunk key 90 degrees,
and that will also work with the electric trunk release I'm installing
this week. (Mechanical is no good with a convertible, because I park
with the top down sometimes and someone can lean in and open the
trunk.)

I also got myself a non-chip valet key, so I can play the radio with
that key, and if I walk away for a few mnutes, a passerby can't start
the engine and can't open the trunk. Not that anything like that has
ever happened.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 22:40:59 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 22 Aug 2012 17:09:35 GMT, Han wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
news
It gives of some RF signal I guess, for a short distance. As for
brand, it comes with the car. Many cars have them now and you push a
button to start.

Ed, is there a way to turn the engine off in an emergency? Unlock the
doors? I am thinking of some malfunction that makes the car refuse to
brake, as well as driving into a canal. Do you have one of those emergency
hammers that will break the glass of the window like this

http://www.amazon.com/LifeHammer-Ori...rgency-Hammer-
Orange/dp/B000BN3A4Y?

The engine can be shut down by holding the dash start/stop button for
a couple of seconds. Doors can be unlocked by just pulling on the
handle as you normally would and it is a mechanical connection.

On my lebaron the drivers door would open from inside even if locked.

On t he Toyota, the door has to be unlocked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 22, 3:28*pm, micky wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 14:29:28 -0700 (PDT), GoogaICQ

wrote:
On Aug 20, 4:03 pm, Metspitzer wrote:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/8401774/Th...ecret-Hiding-P....

Using a wall outlet box with a telephone jack cover is a pretty good
one.

Lest we forget Paul Bernardo's secret hiding place for his morbid
video tapes:
the recessed light fixtures in the bathroom (or any light fixture).

Wasn't the heat there hard on video tapes?

I can only guess that he shoved them a fair bit over to the side,
away from the light.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

wrote:

it's dumb hiding your housekey under the truck carpet;
if a service guy has to lift the carpet to access your spare
tire,they'll find the key,and they have your address from your car
registration. they can send a friend over while you're still in the
shop waiting room.

if you have the car detailed,the guy will probably find the key.

but to really scare you,Google or Wiki search "bump key".

Can't remember the last time I had the spare out. Probably 20 years.
As for detailing, I've been driving 50 years and never had it done.

Given the odds I'll continue to take the risk.

some maintenance checks require checking the spare's tire pressure.
(a good idea,because they DO leak and a flat spare is useless.
thus,a good mantenance guy will be going in there to check the spare.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 22, 8:12*pm, micky wrote:
[...]

For the Toyota that sounds like a distinct safety hazard. At least
the driver's door shouldb e openable.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/22/2012 09:39 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:52:30 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

[snip]

Engrave the combination on the back of the lock. Add 4 to each
number.
Or subtract 3
or subtract 5

I often use a XS3 (excess 3) code. It's very easy to encode. Just add 3
to each digit (IGNORE CARRIES). For example, to encode 3728:

3 + 3 = 6
7 + 3 = 0 (remember to ignore carries)
2 + 3 = 5
8 + 3 = 1 (remember you're ignoring carries)

the encoded number is then 6051.

Decoding:

6 - 3 = 3
0 - 3 = 7 (ignore carries again)
5 - 3 = 2
1 - 3 = 8 (still ignore the carry)

it's 3728.

With a little practice I could do this without writing down ANYTHING but
the encoded number. The arithmetic is on individual digits only, so it's
a lot simpler than ordinary addition / subtraction.

You could use hexadecimal, and then there's be no carries to deal with:

3 + 3 = 6
7 + 3 = A
2 + 3 = 5
8 + 3 = B

6 - 3 = 3
A - 3 = 7
5 - 3 = 2
B - 3 = 8

That could help confuse things, since 6A5B looks less like a number than
6051. In case you don't know hex A = 10, B = 11, C = 12.

BTW, thinking of hex, the TV series "Doctor Who" began in the year 7AB.

I've also done nines compliment, which is even easier. Subtract each
digit from 9. For example, starting with 3728:

9 - 3 = 6
9 - 7 = 2
9 - 2 = 7
9 - 8 = 1

Decoding uses the same process:

9 - 6 = 3
9 - 2 = 7
9 - 7 = 2
9 - 1 = 8

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Asking about a time before the beginning of our spherical spacetime is
like asking what lies north of the North Pole. There is no such thing."
Taner Edis, Is Anybody Out There?
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Or add/subtract the digits of pi, 3.141592....
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

....or a little less obvious, e.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 08:58:53 -0500, Jim Yanik
wrote:

Can't remember the last time I had the spare out. Probably 20 years.
As for detailing, I've been driving 50 years and never had it done.

Given the odds I'll continue to take the risk.

some maintenance checks require checking the spare's tire pressure.
(a good idea,because they DO leak and a flat spare is useless.
thus,a good mantenance guy will be going in there to check the spare.

I guess if you take your car to a thieving dealer they may do that.
Aside from warranty work, no dealer has ever touched my cars and
checks like that I do myself. The guy that does my regular oil
changes does check the four tires, never checks the spare.

I will go to the dealer for my free oil change though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 23, 2012 9:16:29 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 18:07:16 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314 wrote: On Wednesday, August 22, 2012 10:49:54 PM UTC-4, wrote: On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 22:39:49 -0400, Metspitzer wrote: On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:52:30 -0700 (PDT), Harry K wrote: On Aug 22, 11:27�am, DerbyDad03 wrote: On Aug 22, 2:11�pm, Mark Lloyd wrote: On 08/21/2012 02:30 PM, Pavel314 wrote: On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:19:51 PM UTC-4, Doug Miller wrote: micky wrote in news:bcb738t0ftffrte2jev3b2famvdffcn7h8@ 4ax.com: And thanks, I had a house key in my last car's trunk, and I really should have hidden it. So now I know what to hide. Although I think under the turnk carpet will be good enough. When we lived out in the country, we kept a spare key on the dog's collar. I hid the key in a really good hiding place, then put an old, obsolete key in a fairly obvious hiding place. I figure that anyone finding the old key will try in in the door, see it doesn't work, and quit looking for more keys. I did something like that with a keypad lock. On the paper that had the code on it, I drew a line through it (still leaving it readable) and wrote a fake code next to it. -- Mark Lloydhttp://notstupid.us "Ignorance is self-inflicted stupidity." -- Barry B. Longyear, The Tomorrow Testament What did you do with the paper? I'm sure that will totally bumfoozle anyone finding the paper. Harry K Engrave the combination on the back of the lock. Add 4 to each number. Or subtract 3 or subtract 5 Or all of the above. Or add/subtract the digits of pi, 3.141592.... ...or a little less obvious, e.

I thought I was the only math major in this group. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 23, 2012 11:18:56 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 15:06:46 -0500, Mark Lloyd wrote: You could use hexadecimal, and then there's be no carries to deal with: 3 + 3 = 6 7 + 3 = A 2 + 3 = 5 8 + 3 = B 6 - 3 = 3 A - 3 = 7 5 - 3 = 2 B - 3 = 8 Why not just write the number in hex? 3728 ends up being x'E90'. Let your average crack head make something out of that.

If you hide a key in a small space, put a large dead spider in front of it. That should discourage further exploration.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

wrote:

Can't remember the last time I had the spare out. Probably 20 years.
As for detailing, I've been driving 50 years and never had it done.

Given the odds I'll continue to take the risk.

some maintenance checks require checking the spare's tire pressure.
(a good idea,because they DO leak and a flat spare is useless.
thus,a good mantenance guy will be going in there to check the spare.

I guess if you take your car to a thieving dealer they may do that.

you consider a dealer that actually does the service manual's required
checks a "thief"?
maybe you're buying cars from the wrong car companies.

Aside from warranty work, no dealer has ever touched my cars and
checks like that I do myself. The guy that does my regular oil
changes does check the four tires, never checks the spare.

I will go to the dealer for my free oil change though.

BTW,I bought myself a MasterFlow MF-1040 12V air compressor,so I can
inflate a low tire while away from home or gas station.
living in an apartment,it's well worth it.I have no place to keep a 120VAC
compressor,and no outlet close to the car to plug one in..

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 06:34:35 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314 wrote:

[...]

I are a engineer. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

:On 08/22/2012 09:39 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
: On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:52:30 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
: wrote:
:
:[snip]
:
[...]

This is really good stuff. Guess I'll squirrel it away in a database. I
do have a combination lock or two but I never use them. Many years ago I
bought a matched set of Master locks that all use the same key. So much
easier to use a key than fiddle with combination locks.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/20/2012 3:03 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/8401774/Th...-Hiding-Places

Using a wall outlet box with a telephone jack cover is a pretty good
one.

I think I'll get a statue of a convict in a prison uniform and hide
things up its butt, nobody would ever think of looking there. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 22:01:49 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 8/20/2012 3:03 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/8401774/Th...-Hiding-Places

Using a wall outlet box with a telephone jack cover is a pretty good
one.

I think I'll get a statue of a convict in a prison uniform and hide
things up its butt, nobody would ever think of looking there. ^_^

Suspect Denies Owning Cocaine In His Butt
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...caine-his-butt
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/20/2012 3:03 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/8401774/Th...-Hiding-Places

Using a wall outlet box with a telephone jack cover is a pretty good
one.

I think I'll get a statue of a convict in a prison uniform and hide
things up its butt, nobody would ever think of looking there. ^_^

Suspect Denies Owning Cocaine In His Butt
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...caine-his-butt

Honest officer, I don't know how that dope got up my butt! O_o

So now, if you get pulled over for speeding and the cop doesn't like
what he smells, he will search your butt? O_o

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 23:17:23 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

Suspect Denies Owning Cocaine In His Butt
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...caine-his-butt

Why not believe him? He looks like an honest guy and would not lie.
He may have been sitting in the wrong place or at a bar and he thought
the guy next to him was just fondling his ass.

These things happen don't they?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/24/2012 09:40 PM, Dan Musicant wrote:

[snip]

This is really good stuff. Guess I'll squirrel it away in a database. I
do have a combination lock or two but I never use them. Many years ago I
bought a matched set of Master locks that all use the same key. So much
easier to use a key than fiddle with combination locks.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

With a combination lock, it's harder for someone to steal the key. Maybe
that's why they used combination locks on school lockers.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"A friend is someone you'd spend an hour with if you had a day to live,
not an hour to kill."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/20/2012 3:03 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/8401774/Th...-Hiding-Places

Using a wall outlet box with a telephone jack cover is a pretty good
one.

I think I'll get a statue of a convict in a prison uniform and hide
things up its butt, nobody would ever think of looking there. ^_^

Suspect Denies Owning Cocaine In His Butt
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...caine-his-butt

Check this out: O_o

http://community.nicic.gov/forums/t/39046.aspx

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 06:58:43 -0500, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 08/24/2012 09:40 PM, Dan Musicant wrote:

[snip]

This is really good stuff. Guess I'll squirrel it away in a database. I
do have a combination lock or two but I never use them. Many years ago I
bought a matched set of Master locks that all use the same key. So much
easier to use a key than fiddle with combination locks.

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

With a combination lock, it's harder for someone to steal the key. Maybe
that's why they used combination locks on school lockers.

It's *much* easier to steal a combination than a key and it's not noticed when
it goes missing. When I was in school, locks were bought from the school and
they maintained a list of combinations (IIRC, it was just a hash of the S/N)
and they had a master key for the locks. There was no expectation of privacy
on public property, even then.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 07:41:28 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

On Aug 22, 8:12*pm, micky wrote:
[...]

Yes. I don't lock my doors when I drive, but a lot of people do.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Aug 22, 8:12*pm, micky wrote:

On my lebaron the drivers door would open from inside even if locked.

On t he Toyota, the door has to be unlocked.

For the Toyota that sounds like a distinct safety hazard. At least
the driver's door shouldb e openable.

Harry K

I have to take the door apart to add something. Now that you make
the same point, maybe I'll look for whatever stops the inside door
handle, and if it's not the same thing that stops the outside door
handle, I'll defeat it.

The shop manual won't show it, i'm sure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 12:13:35 -0400, "
wrote:

[...]

Just like the phony house key under the mat, I use to keep imitation
cocaine in an obvious place in my locker, so when they found that and
tested it, I figure they wouldn't look for the well-hidden real
cocaine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 13:51:00 -0400, micky
wrote:

Yes. I don't lock my doors when I drive, but a lot of people do.

Harry K

Last four or five cars I've had the door lock when you put the shift
lever in Drive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yes. I don't lock my doors when I drive, but a lot of people do.

Harry K

Last four or five cars I've had the door lock when you put the shift
lever in Drive.

My wife's car locks the doors when it starts moving. My truck doesn't
auto-lock the doors, at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/20/2012 3:03 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/8401774/Th...-Hiding-Places

Using a wall outlet box with a telephone jack cover is a pretty good
one.

I think I'll get a statue of a convict in a prison uniform and hide
things up its butt, nobody would ever think of looking there. ^_^

Suspect Denies Owning Cocaine In His Butt
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...caine-his-butt

Pot? Yeah that is mine.
Coke? No! That is not mine.
Car keys?..........Yeah, those are mine.
Have you seen a remote for the TV?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 19:24:32 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 15:45:33 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 14:44:35 -0400,
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 14:32:20 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Last four or five cars I've had the door lock when you put the shift
lever in Drive.

We rent a lot of cars and that is the first setup option we turn off.

Why? They unlock too. I don't find it a problem either way. If you
are in a bad area, locked doors can be a good thing.

I just don't want the doors locked. I can think of as many bad things
it can cause as I can things it fixes.

I don't like the auto-locking. My '97 Lumina locks all doors as soon
as you start it. The after-market alarm can be programmed otherwise,
but my wife drives it mostly, so my son set it up that way, and I
agree.
I don't like the "trapped" feel, but at least there's still a
mechanical unlock lever. The power windows bother me more when I
think about being underwater in the crate.
That was my uncle's reason for not wearing seatbelts. When they first
got common I took him fishing in my '64 bug. My best friend had
recently been killed when he flipped his '53 Pontiac on the DC
beltway. Tossed out and the car rolled on him and cut off his legs.
Three other guys in the car were only bruised.
So I started using the belt. Felt better anyway after I got used to
it.
So I get into the bug with my uncle and fasten my belt.
He actually got all apoplectic that I was so dumb.
Said "What if you go in the river?!?!!!
I either ignored him or told him to shut up, can't remember.
One of cable shows did a piece a few years ago on how Floridians
should attach a center punch to a string on the dash in case they end
up in a canal. I vacation in canal land every year, and have thought
about doing that. Never got around to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 14:32:20 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Last four or five cars I've had the door lock when you put the shift
lever in Drive.

We rent a lot of cars and that is the first setup option we turn off.

Why? They unlock too. I don't find it a problem either way. If you
are in a bad area, locked doors can be a good thing.

I just don't want the doors locked. I can think of as many bad things
it can cause as I can things it fixes.

I don't like the auto-locking. My '97 Lumina locks all doors as soon
as you start it. The after-market alarm can be programmed otherwise,
but my wife drives it mostly, so my son set it up that way, and I
agree.
I don't like the "trapped" feel, but at least there's still a
mechanical unlock lever. The power windows bother me more when I
think about being underwater in the crate.

The power windows should work for a while, even under water. I don't
know how long a while is, or what it will be that stops them from
working. What would?