Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Hiding places

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 12:37:56 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Aug 22, 1:38*am, micky wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 22:32:25 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 15:38:12 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 19:19:51 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

micky wrote in news:bcb738t0ftffrte2jev3b2famvdffcn7h8@
4ax.com:

And thanks, I had a house key in my last car's trunk, and I really
should have hidden it. * So now I know what to hide. * Although I
think under the turnk carpet will be good enough.

When we lived out in the country, we kept a spare key on the dog's collar.

What is a house key?
I have had a combination lock on my front door since 1971 (my first
house). My daughter never had one until she moved away.

My car has the proximity device so I don't have to reach into the
pocket. *I'd like to have it on the house for when you come home and
are carrying some bags of groceries.

I wanted a house door lock with a remote, but they are rare and if I
found one it was very expensive. *Or it ran on batteries and I hate
batteries.

How does the proximity device work?. *What brand?- Hide quoted text -

How would you like it to be powered if not by batteries?

House current.

Obviously you wouldn't want a corded remote, so that will have to use
batteries.

It wasn't just the remote. It was the door lock that used batteries.

As far as the lock itself, do you plan to run wires through the door
slab (or - worse yet - surface mount them) to get power to the lock?

Yes, drilling a hole through the slab, but I would need a lock
mechanism designed to run on 110.

Alternatively, I'd like something like an apartment door buzzer.
Where the mechanism is in the jamb. But I don't think they make one
that isn't easy to kick in. With apartment lobbies it doesn't matter
that much because if one waits long enough, someone will let a person
in.

When I put my burglar alarm in, I put roller switches in the sliding
door channels on the bottom, so that I could leave the door open a few
inches without triggering the alarm. Then I, caught the wire when it
was above the ceiling in the basement, and used a snake to pull it to
the laundry room which has no ceiling. . Extra time spent up front
and then testing but no maintence required for decades.