Posted to alt.home.repair

Default work goggles

Any recommendations for this? I'd like to wear my glasses within it
if possible and have full eye protection. Yesterday when I was
messing with the ceiling light fixture over the shower I was wearing
my glasses and still got something in my eye. Luckily I washed it out
but I'm a little sensitive about my surgical enhanced eye sight so I
want to wear work goggles from now on. It's amazing how much I took
for granted when I was younger and now with age, look at things
differently. Thanks all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug" wrote in message
Any recommendations for this? I'd like to wear my glasses within it
if possible and have full eye protection. Yesterday when I was
messing with the ceiling light fixture over the shower I was wearing
my glasses and still got something in my eye. Luckily I washed it out
but I'm a little sensitive about my surgical enhanced eye sight so I
want to wear work goggles from now on. It's amazing how much I took
for granted when I was younger and now with age, look at things
differently. Thanks all.

After drilling through old, dusty joists this weekend with a face shield I
became a convert. I will never use anything but a full face shield to work
on the ceiling or anything over my head. After years of struggling with
glasses/goggles combos that fit poorly, have openings that allow material to
"ricochet" into the sides or tops and that fog up easily, I was very happy
with my $13 full face shield - once I peeled the protective plastic from
BOTH side of the lens. (-: Remember, one little sliver getting through can
cause serious, irreversible problems. I had to add material to the top to
really seal it all up, but that was easy.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug" wrote in news:ckahl7djdm14qrf2fa4h3kcork5f7rs91b@
4ax.com:

Any recommendations for this? I'd like to wear my glasses within it
if possible and have full eye protection.

Faceshield.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_74556-98-900...ductId=3082689
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2012 7:52 AM, Doug wrote:
Any recommendations for this? I'd like to wear my glasses within it
if possible and have full eye protection. Yesterday when I was
messing with the ceiling light fixture over the shower I was wearing
my glasses and still got something in my eye. Luckily I washed it out
but I'm a little sensitive about my surgical enhanced eye sight so I
want to wear work goggles from now on. It's amazing how much I took
for granted when I was younger and now with age, look at things
differently. Thanks all.

I'd look at laboratory supply places like this:

http://www.daigger.com/catalog/produ...ratory+Goggles

I worked in a lab and we had goggles that fit over glasses in our stock
room. Don't know who made them.

I still have several pairs of prescription safety glasses that I use
when doing yard work or shooting. You could get them with side shields
but they were uncomfortable to wear all the time.

You might also look at some of the internet glasses sites, maybe get a
cheap pair of prescription goggles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug" wrote:

Any recommendations for this? I'd like to wear my glasses within it
if possible and have full eye protection. Yesterday when I was
messing with the ceiling light fixture over the shower I was wearing
my glasses and still got something in my eye. Luckily I washed it out
but I'm a little sensitive about my surgical enhanced eye sight so I
want to wear work goggles from now on. It's amazing how much I took
for granted when I was younger and now with age, look at things
differently. Thanks all.

Keeping crap out of your eyes is important-- Keeping it out of your
hair, ears, nose, mouth, beard, shirt pocket and shoulders is handy.

I go for the full hard-hat and face shield from HF
http://www.harborfreight.com/abrasiv...ood-38138.html

$20- I bought it for sandblasting. I use it whenever I'm doing
above-the-head dirty work.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's pretty much what I was going to say. Good advice.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
"Doug" wrote in
4ax.com:

Any recommendations for this? I'd like to wear my glasses within it
if possible and have full eye protection.

Faceshield.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_74556-98-900...ductId=3082689

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
"Doug" wrote:

Any recommendations for this? I'd like to wear my glasses within it
if possible and have full eye protection. Yesterday when I was
messing with the ceiling light fixture over the shower I was wearing
my glasses and still got something in my eye. Luckily I washed it out
but I'm a little sensitive about my surgical enhanced eye sight so I
want to wear work goggles from now on. It's amazing how much I took
for granted when I was younger and now with age, look at things
differently. Thanks all.

Keeping crap out of your eyes is important-- Keeping it out of your
hair, ears, nose, mouth, beard, shirt pocket and shoulders is handy.

I go for the full hard-hat and face shield from HF
http://www.harborfreight.com/abrasiv...ood-38138.html

$20- I bought it for sandblasting. I use it whenever I'm doing
above-the-head dirty work.

Looks interesting but doesn't it get sweaty and fog up inside? My face
shield with the Arab Spaceman towel attachment (TM - patent pending) doesn't
offer a lot of head protection, but it's usually my eyes that I am most
concerned about. The face shield appears to offer double or even triple the
viewing area of the sandblasting hood.

Still, for 20 bucks I'll probably pick one up the next time I go to HF. I
spent $400 there in one visit, but they cut my catalogs off three months
later. That's probably not a good model to follow, marketing-wise. I think
I can request them at their site, but almost every other vendor I know likes
to keep marketing to people that spend a lot of money in one visit. From
what I saw, the average sale was between $20 and $100.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-03-08, Doug wrote:
Any recommendations for this? I'd like to wear my glasses within it
if possible and have full eye protection.

For a real cheapo quick alternative, visit a welding supply store.
They have all kindsa eye protection. I once picked up a half dozen
pairs of brazing glasses on the close-out table fer $10. Took off the
side sheilds and used 'em fer sunglasses (5 diff levels of darkness
tint). I can't think of a more eye-ball dangerous overhead work job
than muffler repair man. In fact, as a quickie when I had crawl under
my truck, I put clear lenses in my old acetylene welding goggles. You
know, those bug-eyed alien looking goggles. Not prescription, but
kept the rust flakes outta my eyes while knocking around under there.

Optometrist who carry a line of safety glasses frames (most do),
should have some models with side sheilds. Get the kind with hook
temples and a fine mesh screen on the side to allow plenty of air
circulation so they don't fog.

Most folks don't realize safety glasses are a good alternative to
those absurdly expensive "designer" frames one sees in the main show
room. Ya' usually hafta ask to see a catalog. I discovered this and
started buying safety glasses frames for normal eye wear, years ago.
I rarely ever pay more than $50-100 for excellent frames in many
current fashions. One pair were all stainless steel frames and only
cost about $60. I still have a pair of aviator style frames I bought
over 20 yrs ago fer $40!

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

-snip-

I go for the full hard-hat and face shield from HF
http://www.harborfreight.com/abrasiv...ood-38138.html

$20- I bought it for sandblasting. I use it whenever I'm doing
above-the-head dirty work.

Looks interesting but doesn't it get sweaty and fog up inside?

Sweaty, yes-- but I prefer sweat to blood and mud. Foggy, no. I
use a bottle of anti-fog that we bought for my son when he was a
hockey goalie. Rubbing alcohol will work, but it gets me high.

Someplace I saw a guy run a compressor hose into his for positive
pressure and cool air. I really don't have enough air for
sandblasting [shoot 30 seconds- wait 20. . repeat] so I've never
tried it. For inside work, I can stand the sweat for longer than I
can keep my arms up and head back.

My face
shield with the Arab Spaceman towel attachment (TM - patent pending) doesn't
offer a lot of head protection, but it's usually my eyes that I am most
concerned about. The face shield appears to offer double or even triple the
viewing area of the sandblasting hood.

Good point-- But I'm usually concentrating on a pretty small area
when I'm wearing it.

Still, for 20 bucks I'll probably pick one up the next time I go to HF. I
spent $400 there in one visit, but they cut my catalogs off three months
later.

I don't think I've ever seen a 'catalog'. I get their [20 page?]
fliers weekly. I might have hit $400 once-- but $1-200 is a 'big'
day for me.

That's probably not a good model to follow, marketing-wise. I think
I can request them at their site, but almost every other vendor I know likes
to keep marketing to people that spend a lot of money in one visit. From
what I saw, the average sale was between $20 and $100.

I stopped in for a $6 item last week- spent $40- and was thinking on
the way out that I got off cheap. Damn candy stores.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:VJ26r.42889
:

[top-posting and screwed-up quoting fixed]

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
"Doug" wrote in
:

Any recommendations for this? I'd like to wear my glasses within it
if possible and have full eye protection.

Faceshield.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_74556-98-900...ductId=3082689

That's pretty much what I was going to say. Good advice.

The thing many people forget is that there's more stuff on your face that needs protecting
than just your eyes -- imagine catching a saw kickback in the teeth, for instance. I had a
violent kickback from a chop saw about a year ago, cutting a small piece that I really
should have clamped down. I'm not sure quite how it happened, but the piece was
wrenched out of my hand and thrown into the faceshield hard enough to knock it off of my
head, and partway across the room. I never saw it. Just felt, and heard, the impact on the
shield. Then heard the shield clattering on the floor. Never found the piece of wood, either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2012 12:04 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
"Stormin wrote in news:VJ26r.42889
:

[top-posting and screwed-up quoting fixed]

"Doug wrote in message
. ..
wrote in
:

Any recommendations for this? I'd like to wear my glasses within it
if possible and have full eye protection.

Faceshield.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_74556-98-900...ductId=3082689

That's pretty much what I was going to say. Good advice.

The thing many people forget is that there's more stuff on your face that needs protecting
than just your eyes (snipped)

You are definitely correct! A few years back I was using my bench
grinder and a piece of metal caught and flew out hitting me in the
mouth. The cut lip didn't amount to much (just a very few stitches) but
it knocked one tooth out, broke another one off, and loosened two
others. The dentist though he could save the two loose ones but that
didn't happen. Then end result was a $10,800 bill for several fake
non-removable teeth. As they are not removable I am not sure if it is
called a "bridge" or not.

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2012 8:02 AM, notbob wrote:
On 2012-03-08, wrote:
[...]

you can buy frames from zenni optical online for $10. you just ask for
unground lenses with no perscription.

Posted to alt.home.repair

:

[top-posting and screwed-up quoting fixed]

"Doug wrote in message
. ..
wrote in
:

[...]

I double agree. I've used a face shield like that for years. Mine has a
nice ratchet on the back so I can easily clamp it to my head. It's
especially comforting when I'm standing at the wire wheel hearing the
tink-tinking of steel wires flying off and bouncing off the shield, as
opposed to sticking in my eyes.
Years ago I was cutting steel with a sawzall and no eye protection.
Without even realizing it, small particles of hot metal were hitting me
in the eye. Three of them burned and embeded into my cornea, which of
course had to be dug out. Not particularly pleasant

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 06:52:13 -0600, "Doug"
wrote:

Any recommendations for this? I'd like to wear my glasses within it
if possible and have full eye protection. Yesterday when I was
messing with the ceiling light fixture over the shower I was wearing
my glasses and still got something in my eye. Luckily I washed it out
but I'm a little sensitive about my surgical enhanced eye sight so I
want to wear work goggles from now on. It's amazing how much I took
for granted when I was younger and now with age, look at things
differently. Thanks all.

Google for goggles, or goggle for googles!

Posted to alt.home.repair

It is important to take every precaution possible to keep any airborne
metal particles, even the seemingly minute metal powder flying off a
grinding wheel, that you can blink off.

Besides the obvious harm that can be caused by a sliver of metal in your
eyes, If you ever need an MRI of anything above your shoulders, they
will insist you have an x-ray first, to see if any tiny particles of
metal are in your eyes.

The powerful magnetic field in MRIs will suck any such metal right out
through your eyeballs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.. .
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in

:

[...]

With all these endorsements, a face shield should run for president! Sounds
like your bacon was saved by one for sure.

But seriously, you make an excellent point. There are plenty of stuff
besides eyes that need protecting. I've known more than one guy who's had a
front tooth knocked out from an saw accident. I had the rear fence clamps
vibrate free on my RAS once. Not fun. Had a 3 headed molding shaper blade
contact the support column of the saw at full RPM and it spit pieces of
broken shaper blade out at ballistic speeds. One broken blade embedded
itself in the joist above the saw. I never used a shaper blade on the RAS
since that day. I still use a carbide-tipped variable angle dado blade, but
that stays inside the blade cover. The shape head had to be run cover-free,
IIRC. It was back in the early 80's.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

:

[top-posting and screwed-up quoting fixed]

"Doug wrote in message
. ..
wrote in
:

[...]

They are called "a very expensive lesson about wearing a faceshield next
time." My friend's kid hit a telephone bowl (oops, pole! - senior moment)
in his dad's huge old car and drove three front teeth up into his gums.
They spent an hour looking for the missing teeth before realizing they had
been rammed upward and were still in his mouth. Fixing that up came close
to $20,000.

With all these tales of serious maiming, I may even pick up another face
shield so I can always have one upstairs with the compressor and downstairs
with the radial arm saw and/or a spare for "guest workers."

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

:

[top-posting and screwed-up quoting fixed]

"Doug wrote in message
. ..
wrote in
:

[...]

You may have just written the winning entry in the "why wear a faceshield?"
contest. I found out today they want to burn a "weep hole" in my iris with
a laser to allow the excess fluid in my eye to drain. It made my stomach
churn to think about so I can't IMAGINE having three metal flecks extracted
from my cornea. I once had a rusty wire wheel on a bench grinder
disintegrate on me, but my glasses took the brunt of it. I know that if I
hadn't worn glasses all my life, I'd be blind in at least one eye.

Anyone who reads this thread and *doesn't* opt for a faceshield's gotta to
be braver than they are smart.

I think I'll start driving with one. (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

stuff snipped

Looks interesting but doesn't it get sweaty and fog up inside?

Sweaty, yes-- but I prefer sweat to blood and mud. Foggy, no. I
use a bottle of anti-fog that we bought for my son when he was a
hockey goalie. Rubbing alcohol will work, but it gets me high.

I've never had much luck with anti-fog stuff. What do you use?

Someplace I saw a guy run a compressor hose into his for positive
pressure and cool air. I really don't have enough air for
sandblasting [shoot 30 seconds- wait 20. . repeat] so I've never
tried it. For inside work, I can stand the sweat for longer than I
can keep my arms up and head back.

Sounds like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. (-: Good idea, though. I know
I've seen something like that with a fan mounted in the hood and a battery
pack to power it. That might be easier than being tethered to a compressor
hose.

My face
shield with the Arab Spaceman towel attachment (TM - patent pending)

doesn't
offer a lot of head protection, but it's usually my eyes that I am most
concerned about. The face shield appears to offer double or even triple

the
viewing area of the sandblasting hood.

Good point-- But I'm usually concentrating on a pretty small area
when I'm wearing it.

Makes sense. Still, after DerbyDad described how he nearly gored himself,
I'm all for as much peripheral vision as I can get.

Still, for 20 bucks I'll probably pick one up the next time I go to HF.

spent $400 there in one visit, but they cut my catalogs off three months
later.

I don't think I've ever seen a 'catalog'. I get their [20 page?]
fliers weekly. I might have hit $400 once-- but $1-200 is a 'big'
day for me.

I should have said flyer - I think they're 20 or so pages, tabloid style.

That's probably not a good model to follow, marketing-wise. I think
I can request them at their site, but almost every other vendor I know

likes
to keep marketing to people that spend a lot of money in one visit. From
what I saw, the average sale was between $20 and $100.

I stopped in for a $6 item last week- spent $40- and was thinking on
the way out that I got off cheap. Damn candy stores.

Mine's far enough away that I never just go for one item with Home Depot 3
blocks away. I saw a similar propane torch for $60 in HD that I got at HF
for $20. So on stuff like that, I make the trek and obliterate the savings
by overspending on things I really don't need. $400 was a big ticket for me
because I bought an flexible inspection camera (for about half of what HD
was selling a cosmetically "purtier" one that looked like the same basic
guts inside). And a digital caliper, and a torch, and quick disconnects for
the hoses, and some screwdrivers, and a tweezer set, and a $3 meter and
loads and loads of other $5 to $10 stuff I can't recall.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

:

[top-posting and screwed-up quoting fixed]

"Doug wrote in message
. ..
wrote in
:

[...]

It's clearly something about the eyeball that really makes people
cringe. In my case, these little burs were rubbing against my eyelid
which of course became sore, they didn't bother my eyeball at all. My
wife could see them, so we tried to get them out with rolled up tissue
paper, which was when we discovered that they were burned in. The
removal process was actually completely painless. They anesthetize the
eye, clamp your head in a vise and essentially dig the stuff out with a
needle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote in news:jjbj0f$2h6$3
@speranza.aioe.org:

[big snip]

Anyone who reads this thread and *doesn't* opt for a faceshield's gotta to
be braver than they are smart.

Yeah, I call that the "more balls than brains" syndrome.

Just in case we haven't beaten this subject completely to death yet, I'd like to add four more
reasons in favor of a faceshield instead of goggles, that haven't been mentioned yet:
1. Faceshields fit over prescription eyeglasses (or sunglasses) better than goggles do.
2. Faceshields are more comfortable.
3. You can see better with a faceshield than you can with goggles.
4. A faceshield is easier, quicker, and more convenient to put on and take off, so much so that
there really is no excuse at all for not wearing it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Now, that's fortunate, that you were wearing a face shield. You might have
been hurt.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

[...]

:

That's pretty much what I was going to say. Good advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

stuff snipped

It's clearly something about the eyeball that really makes people
cringe. In my case, these little burs were rubbing against my eyelid
which of course became sore, they didn't bother my eyeball at all. My
wife could see them, so we tried to get them out with rolled up tissue
paper, which was when we discovered that they were burned in. The
removal process was actually completely painless. They anesthetize the
eye, clamp your head in a vise and essentially dig the stuff out with a
needle.

There are two things I noticed even "tough" guys get squeamish about.
Injuries to their eyes and their junk.

My J-prof told us of the story about the sewer worker who, while lifting a
manhole cover with a pry bar, had it winged by a passing car which drove the
bar up through his scrotum and into his abdomen. He lay there for quite
some time as people walked by his moaning and groaning body, thinking he was
a drunken bum. (This was, of course, NYC where children are taught to step
around bodies at an early age.)

There's just something about the words "needle" and "eye" in the same
sentence that gives me the willies. And the heebee jeebies!

--
Bobby G.

(-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
"Robert Green" wrote in news:jjbj0f$2h6$3
@speranza.aioe.org:

[big snip]

Anyone who reads this thread and *doesn't* opt for a faceshield's gotta

be braver than they are smart.

Yeah, I call that the "more balls than brains" syndrome.

Just in case we haven't beaten this subject completely to death yet, I'd

like to add four more
reasons in favor of a faceshield instead of goggles, that haven't been

mentioned yet:
1. Faceshields fit over prescription eyeglasses (or sunglasses) better

than goggles do.

Hell yes. I've been able to find some pretty well made goggles that fit
over my glasses, but the faceshield gives such a greater angle of vision
that it's amazing. And it doesn't steam up within seconds like goggles
often do on a humid day.

2. Faceshields are more comfortable.
3. You can see better with a faceshield than you can with goggles.
4. A faceshield is easier, quicker, and more convenient to put on and take

off, so much so that
there really is no excuse at all for not wearing it.

Except for not being able to find it. I am classifying it as an essential
tool like a flashlight where duplicates are allowed and even encouraged.
For $13 it's cheap insurance compared to fishing something out of your eye
or looking for your busted out teeth in a pile of wood chips on the shop
floor.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-03-09, Robert Green wrote:

a drunken bum. (This was, of course, NYC where children are taught to step
around bodies at an early age.)

ROFL....

There's just something about the words "needle" and "eye" in the same
sentence that gives me the willies. And the heebee jeebies!

Yer right, of course. Seems age makes both eyes and teeth a freaky
proposition. Constant care is the byword. Both my father and
grandfather suffered macular degeneration. I seem to be the off
generation, having only suffered "old eyes", as in needing reading
glasses at age 64.

nb --I got no bitch.... thankfully!
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2012 11:55 PM, Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message

stuff snipped

[...]

That's odd, my relatives in New York don't fit that stereotype. It may
have been one of them who came to the man's aid? I watched a news show
about the NYPD running a sting in the subway against gold chain
snatchers where detectives were acting like drunken businessmen swaying
around the subway platform as bait. The cops had to keep shooing away
people trying to help them but it was hysterical when they caught a real
predator. I'm not going to make an issue of the skin color of every one
of the snatchers because it was the same and someone will claim it's a
racist stereotype. My favorite chain snatcher story was that of a young
woman who's gold necklace was snatched from her neck and when someone
came over to help her and expressed sympathy for the woman's
predicament, the gal said "That's OK, my chain was fake but his is
real." as she held up a real gold chain. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 3/8/2012 11:55 PM, Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message

stuff snipped

[...]

An example of the practiced indifference of New Yawkers is riding a packed
train at rush hour and realizing that no one is making any kind of eye
contact with anyone else. Fill the car with other primates and all they
would DO is look each other over.

I watched a news show
about the NYPD running a sting in the subway against gold chain
snatchers where detectives were acting like drunken businessmen swaying
around the subway platform as bait. The cops had to keep shooing away
people trying to help them but it was hysterical when they caught a real
predator.

Watch the show: "What Would You Do?" Unfortunately they're able to film
very sad things like a whole store full of people watching a cashier hand
back the wrong change to a blind man without saying a word. Fortunately,
from time to time, as you noted, people DO step forward, sometimes very
aggressively. A woman in Brooklyn just died recently trying to shield other
people's children from a rooftop sniper.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ildren-gunfire

So good people do exist. But there are also people who will just step over
a man they think is a drunken bum. When I was a kid, some poor guy decided
to sit down and die in front of the "Angel Guardian Home for Orphaned
Children" (now a block of condos) right near my house, the bigger kids did
not step over him. They poked him with a stick until the adults finally
called the police.

I'm not going to make an issue of the skin color of every one
of the snatchers

To the untrained eye, that would seem to be what you're doing. (-: FWIW,
the woman who died shielding other people's children from a sniper was
black. SFW? (And that's not Shopper's Food Warehouse)

because it was the same and someone will claim it's a
racist stereotype.

Because it is. Generalizing from anecdotal information seems to be a
problem for some people. Like those who assume the educational sky is
falling because some clerk doesn't want to accept an obvious overpayment,
even if it was meant to result in whole dollars back without more change
being returned. I would venture a guess that most of the people involved
in screwing the economy to a standstill in 2008 were white. SFW? Poor
people (not just blacks) commit a large amount of "street crime." White
people commit most of the country's very costly "white" collar crime. Not
all, but most.

My favorite chain snatcher story was that of a young
woman who's gold necklace was snatched from her neck and when someone
came over to help her and expressed sympathy for the woman's
predicament, the gal said "That's OK, my chain was fake but his is
real." as she held up a real gold chain. ^_^

Nice. I've read that stripping jewelry in NYC is now an art form: Two big
mugs come from behind and lift the victim by the armpits while a third
accomplice removes the bling and other valuables. Happens in seconds. An
undercover cop got attacked that way and said that once two big guys hoist
you by your pits, you're pretty much helpless, even with the two guns the
cop had on him. They took those, his badge and everything else. I like
watching "Bait Car" just to hear the little stinking car thieves try to lie
their way out of it.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug" wrote in message
Any recommendations for this? I'd like to wear my glasses within it
if possible and have full eye protection. Yesterday when I was
messing with the ceiling light fixture over the shower I was wearing
my glasses and still got something in my eye. Luckily I washed it out
but I'm a little sensitive about my surgical enhanced eye sight so I
want to wear work goggles from now on. It's amazing how much I took
for granted when I was younger and now with age, look at things
differently. Thanks all.

Lots of good advice and anecdotal evidence. I would just add that if
you wear prescription glasses, you can get prescription safety glasses with
side shields. In true safety glasses, the frames have certain ANSI
standards that enable them to keep the lenses in place if they are ever
impacted. You would not want the lens to pop out if something hits them.
The lenses themselves also have ANSI specs and must have a minimum
thickness. The lens lab will make them at least that thick no matter what
the prescription. The side shields can be solid or a fine mesh screen,
whatever applies to your particular situation. Goggles are not really
designed for serious impact. They are meant for liquid splashes. Yes, they
can handle minor impact but I would not rely on them where the major hazard
is moderate to severe impact.

I want to point out that most face shields are NOT designed for serious
impact. They are intended to be worn over safety glasses. They can handle
light to moderate impact but, as one poster reported, the whole shield flew
off his head when impacted. If the trajectory of the wood was different,
there might have been a more serious result.

Good Luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Baron" wrote in message

stuff snipped

I want to point out that most face shields are NOT designed for

serious
impact. They are intended to be worn over safety glasses. They can

handle
light to moderate impact but, as one poster reported, the whole shield

flew
off his head when impacted. If the trajectory of the wood was different,
there might have been a more serious result.

All excellent points. It's probably important to remember that for most
people I know, (and is seems at least a few posters here) it's wearing
nothing at all or foolishly depending on regular eyeglasses. A face shield
was a big step up for me. Based on what I read, I'm not the only one who
took some "convincing" to go out and get one. Part of the great value of
newsgroups like AHR is to speed the spread of good ideas. I'll bet at least
a few posters have face shields on the list for the next hardware store
visit. (-:

I remember working with a metal shaper (marked "War Department") in high
school. It was a huge, belt driven ram sort of device that pushes a tool
bit over the metal stock, moving slightly each time. The ram head was sort
of the size and shape of the creature's head in the Aliens movies.

The normal bite of each stroke way less than 1/8" but if you failed to
securely tighten the height adjustment, the shaper head would take one
properly sized cut when the ram moved forward. Then, the ram pulled back
and the stock table jogged to the left to expose new material to cut.
Normally, the tool bit and holder would clear the work on the back stroke,
the table would shift and the ram and tool bit would come forward at the
same height to take another "slice."

If the height adjustment was too loose, it would often hold for the first
stroke, but then the vibration of the backstroke would loosen the whole tool
bit assembly and it would drop down to the bottom stop. Way below the
surface of the work and the vise that held it. Then, the whole ram head
swing forward and would smash into the vise table about two or three inches
below where it should be. It rang like a bell, the floor shook, the belt
stopped and people jumped right out of their skins. No face shield, just
pretty crappy over-the glasses, elastic band goggles.

That huge ram sounded just like a bad car crash when it hit the table hard.
No one was ever hurt that I know of, but it was the event of the day in
metalworking. IIRC (and IMNRC - this was 50 years ago) most metal shop
injuries came about by guys screwing around with the long coils of (I used
to know this word) metal that came off the lathes as they cut. They were
hot, they were razor sharp and sometimes if you didn't clear them they would
wrap around the spinning work and whip you but good. Foundry on the other
hand was famous for foot injuries (those sand filled molds are HEAVY!) and
hernias.

For whatever reason, they stopped actually casting things in the green sands
of the 8th floor foundry with its huge glass ceiling, the panels operated
from 40 feet below by wheels and chains. I believe it was built in 1908
when Brooklyn Tech was the center for training in all things industrial. I
heard they stopped pouring metal because kids were making very accurate
castings of guns. I suspect the mere thought of high school boys
jackassing molten metal around in NYC was just too much for the school
adminstrator's hearts. (This was long before it was *forced* to go co-ed.)
AFAIK, they kept teaching foundry for years but without molten metal. Kind
of misses the point!

We had projects that continued through each grade. In four years I learned
to free hand draw a spanner wrench, then make mechanical drawings of it,
then make a wood pattern for it and finally casting the wood pattern in
metal. Then we would machine the rough spanner wrench casting in metal shop
and heat treat it in metallurgy class where we also tested hardeness and
other qualities.

While it was more fun than calculus, most of the shop classes eventually
turned out to be equally useless in my work career. The best part about it
was learning how to take a project from beginning to end. That turned out
to be a useful skill in managing large software projects. That and a book
by what was then Touche-Ross, a big accounting firm. Ever come across a
single book that explains all the inside tricks of a trade? It was a
compendium of everything they had learned putting huge corporate systems
together on mainframes. Ironically, the same problems plague large
mainframe and small PC networked systems.

--
Bobby G.

polishing swimming goggles? jkn UK diy 9 February 27th 12 08:43 PM
Prescription Goggles for Welding. TwoGuns Metalworking 3 February 18th 11 03:03 AM
Why I Never Wear Safety Goggles... Doug Miller Woodworking 37 September 23rd 10 02:34 PM
Safety Glasses/Goggles for old eyes (+1.25/+1.50) Vortex2 UK diy 8 May 19th 08 10:46 PM
Magnifying goggles? foggytown Woodworking 5 September 25th 06 06:30 PM