Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default work goggles

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

stuff snipped

Looks interesting but doesn't it get sweaty and fog up inside?

Sweaty, yes-- but I prefer sweat to blood and mud. Foggy, no. I
use a bottle of anti-fog that we bought for my son when he was a
hockey goalie. Rubbing alcohol will work, but it gets me high.

I've never had much luck with anti-fog stuff. What do you use?

Someplace I saw a guy run a compressor hose into his for positive
pressure and cool air. I really don't have enough air for
sandblasting [shoot 30 seconds- wait 20. . repeat] so I've never
tried it. For inside work, I can stand the sweat for longer than I
can keep my arms up and head back.

Sounds like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. (-: Good idea, though. I know
I've seen something like that with a fan mounted in the hood and a battery
pack to power it. That might be easier than being tethered to a compressor
hose.

My face
shield with the Arab Spaceman towel attachment (TM - patent pending)

doesn't
offer a lot of head protection, but it's usually my eyes that I am most
concerned about. The face shield appears to offer double or even triple

the
viewing area of the sandblasting hood.

Good point-- But I'm usually concentrating on a pretty small area
when I'm wearing it.

Makes sense. Still, after DerbyDad described how he nearly gored himself,
I'm all for as much peripheral vision as I can get.

Still, for 20 bucks I'll probably pick one up the next time I go to HF.

spent $400 there in one visit, but they cut my catalogs off three months
later.

I don't think I've ever seen a 'catalog'. I get their [20 page?]
fliers weekly. I might have hit $400 once-- but $1-200 is a 'big'
day for me.

I should have said flyer - I think they're 20 or so pages, tabloid style.

That's probably not a good model to follow, marketing-wise. I think
I can request them at their site, but almost every other vendor I know

likes
to keep marketing to people that spend a lot of money in one visit. From
what I saw, the average sale was between $20 and $100.

I stopped in for a $6 item last week- spent $40- and was thinking on
the way out that I got off cheap. Damn candy stores.

Mine's far enough away that I never just go for one item with Home Depot 3
blocks away. I saw a similar propane torch for $60 in HD that I got at HF
for $20. So on stuff like that, I make the trek and obliterate the savings
by overspending on things I really don't need. $400 was a big ticket for me
because I bought an flexible inspection camera (for about half of what HD
was selling a cosmetically "purtier" one that looked like the same basic
guts inside). And a digital caliper, and a torch, and quick disconnects for
the hoses, and some screwdrivers, and a tweezer set, and a $3 meter and
loads and loads of other $5 to $10 stuff I can't recall.

--
Bobby G.