Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Prescription Goggles for Welding.

I don't do much welding and I always hated those damn bulky helmets we
had to use in High School shop. I am blind as a bat without my
prescription glasses. Zenni Optical is mentioned on this NG quite
often and I have bought several pairs of glasses from Zenni and like
them. A quick search of their website didn't show any goggles suitable
for use in welding. Do any of you know of a supplier of goggles with a
prescription lens suitable for welding?
T.I.A
DL
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

TwoGuns writes:

I don't do much welding and I always hated those damn bulky helmets we
had to use in High School shop. I am blind as a bat without my
prescription glasses. Zenni Optical is mentioned on this NG quite
often and I have bought several pairs of glasses from Zenni and like
them. A quick search of their website didn't show any goggles suitable
for use in welding. Do any of you know of a supplier of goggles with a
prescription lens suitable for welding?
T.I.A

If you're talking any variety of arc (including MIG, TIG) welding, you
need the big bulky hood for protecting the rest of your face from
sunbird, sparks, and what-have-you. Can't just shield the eyes.

If you're talking oxy-acetylene, you can get by with goggles, but the
much-lighter face shields are a very good idea.

In any event, I buy my prescription safety glasses from AOSafety (see
http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/). I don't know if they sell them dark
enough for use with oxy; mine are clear-lenses, and I wear them under a
face mask or hood.
--
This sig block for rent
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 09:36:35 -0800 (PST), TwoGuns
wrote:

I don't do much welding and I always hated those damn bulky helmets we
had to use in High School shop. I am blind as a bat without my
prescription glasses. Zenni Optical is mentioned on this NG quite
often and I have bought several pairs of glasses from Zenni and like
them. A quick search of their website didn't show any goggles suitable
for use in welding. Do any of you know of a supplier of goggles with a
prescription lens suitable for welding?
T.I.A
DL

If you are talking about arc welding (stick, TIG, MIG) you need the
helmet to protect your face. For the older style welding facemask you
can buy lens that snap into the mask so that you can either correct
your glasses for closer distances or even weld without glasses. For
the newer style, instant darkening helmets, while I have never
actually seen them, I'm sure that someone is making auxiliary lenses
for them also.

If you are talking about Oxy-Act you can but goggles that fit over
your glasses.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

TwoGuns on Thu, 17 Feb 2011 09:36:35 -0800
(PST) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
I don't do much welding and I always hated those damn bulky helmets we
had to use in High School shop. I am blind as a bat without my
prescription glasses. Zenni Optical is mentioned on this NG quite
often and I have bought several pairs of glasses from Zenni and like
them. A quick search of their website didn't show any goggles suitable
for use in welding. Do any of you know of a supplier of goggles with a
prescription lens suitable for welding?

If you are gas welding, you can use "just" goggles.

But using just goggles when arc welding is a fast way to a
sunburn. Especially if you are in a confined area (like inside the
luggage bays of a bus.) - Dave found that out the hard way.

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!