Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Problem with cigarette smoke

I write in hope of some serious answers. I know this general issue has
come up before, and wading through the incredulous and the trolls doing
a search yields nothing that seems likely to work. Maybe there is
nothing; if not, so be it.
We just moved into our new home after over 7 months of renovations. The
problem is cigarette smoke from one of our neighbors.
This is an attached house, with a party wall (concrete). (attached on
the other side too, separate construction, not a problem.
When the walls were open, I was not aware of any plumbing coming
directly from the smoking neighbor. There are cabinets mounted in our
kitchen on the party wall. Holes were cut in the cabinet backs to
accommodate some drainage and steam pipes (ours), and there is an
opening around our plumbing which we will seal off. We don't know what
might be the best way to do this, and I have no idea if it will work
(though the cigarette smoke is strongest in these cabinets.
This does appear to be coming through the walls--somehow, and not
through vents to the outside. This is old construction (c. 1940).
There is no question that there is cigarette smoke. It's not nearly as
big a problem for me (my sense of smell was never the same since organic
chemistry), but my wife is very upset.
I'm quite sure I have no legal recourse, and in any case wouldn't expect
my neighbor to modify his smoking on my behalf. Really just interested
to know if anyone has dealt with some mechanical means of dealing with
this problem that was effective.

TIA,
Steve
--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2012 9:08 AM, Steven Bornfeld wrote:
[...]

You haven't discussed the roof of the building and whether there is an
attic. And if so, is the common wall also closing off your attic from
the neighbor's attic? Do you have a vent fan that only vents to the attic?

Use cans of spray foam to seal up the pipes.

Does your neighbor's kitchen share your wall?

IS the "concrete" wall actually concrete block? Is the concrete wall
painted? A heavy coat of paint will seal any cracks and voids in the
concrete. A poured wall in the 1940's may well have voids where the
concrete was hand mixed and then poured into the forms. The interface
between pours was not well mixed. We had a house built in 1948 with a
hand mixed and poured concrete basement. Walls clearly showed lack of
mixing and let water leak in.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 6, 12:08*pm, Steven Bornfeld
wrote:
[...]

I agree with Paul. Check the attic. Hopefully the wall extends past
the roof line (fire stop). Other places to seal would be electrical
outlets. If all else fails, positive pressure in your side will keep
any odors, cool air, warm air and etc. from entering your space. This
can be done with a small fan if located properly. The location of your
house/apt in regards to wind direction and such will affect the
performance, so placing the fan is critical.

Holding something that smokes ( like a cigarette) around different
places will help you determine where the odor is entering.

Good luck and happy hunting.

If all else fails, bring home some Nitrous Oxide and have her take a
few hits. LOL

Hank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dear Dr. Bornfeld,
I've rather appreciated reading your posts on SMD. You are a polite
gentleman.
That said, I'm also allergic to tobacco. You and your wife had my
compassion.
As for sealing openings, cardboard and stapling might work, or plastic
sheet and duct tape like the Homeland Security guys mention.
There may be some way (reverse the bathroom vent fan so it blows in,
instead of out?) to pressurize your apartment. Push clean air through the
wall, instead of drawing smoke in. If you have exhaust fan, shut it off.
Open a window, to allow fresh air in.
Might want to see what your heating plant is. Maybe a HVAC person can
put in a fresh air intake, on the return side of the HVAC. Draw fresh air
in, and pressurize your side. Check also, see if your furnace is tied in
with their vent system, your furnace may be drawing from their side of the
building.
Palliative measures may include ibuprophen, bezocaine, Ozium air spray,
or Febreze air spray.
Please let us know what works.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Steven Bornfeld" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2012 1:00 PM, Paul Drahn wrote:
You haven't discussed the roof of the building and whether there is an
attic. And if so, is the common wall also closing off your attic from
the neighbor's attic? Do you have a vent fan that only vents to the attic?

There is no attic. It's a flat rubber roof. All vents are through the
roof, except the laundry which vents to the back brick wall.

Use cans of spray foam to seal up the pipes.

We plan to do that (though our contractor seems to think it will take
too many cans--I think he suggested fiberglass insulation, though I'm
sure foam (is it polystyrene?) would seal far better.

Does your neighbor's kitchen share your wall?

I don't know. A few weeks ago my wife complained of a fishy smell, so
we may--and cooking odors may be a problem too. But the primary problem
is the cigarette smoke.

IS the "concrete" wall actually concrete block? Is the concrete wall
painted? A heavy coat of paint will seal any cracks and voids in the
concrete. A poured wall in the 1940's may well have voids where the
concrete was hand mixed and then poured into the forms. The interface
between pours was not well mixed. We had a house built in 1948 with a
hand mixed and poured concrete basement. Walls clearly showed lack of
mixing and let water leak in.

Paul

I have no idea. When the wall was open, I saw no indication that it was
concrete block, so I'm guessing it was poured concrete. Wow, I didn't
know they were still hand mixing concrete by the 1940s. We don't seem
to have any problems with external leaks (some of the internal plumbing
leaked and had to be changed.

Thanks,
Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2012 1:25 PM, Hank wrote:
On Mar 6, 12:08 pm, Steven
wrote:
[...]

The outlets--that's something to try (though I wouldn't think that much
air would pass through them.
Nitrous might help. ;-)

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2012 1:29 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

.

Chris--

Thanks--some of your suggestions sound useful (esp. if there is a way
to really create a net positive pressure.
My wife is way past the ibuprophen phase.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

cut
To start with, produce some positive pressure in your
home, to stop the polluted air from coming into the house.
A ventilator sucking outside air would do that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Have you tried OZONE shocking the room and cabinets?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Since your problem is with vapors, you may get results with vapor barrier
foam board, or sheet fiberglass. But, the vapor barrier is what's needed.

I've done a bunch of sheet metal work, so I'd be thinking sheet metal cut
to shape, and stuck on with silicone caulk. You may be able to get the same
result with sheet plastic, and easier to cut.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Steven Bornfeld" wrote in message

We plan to do that (though our contractor seems to think it will take
too many cans--I think he suggested fiberglass insulation, though I'm
sure foam (is it polystyrene?) would seal far better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hank, they are trying to keep the cig smoke out, not make their own!

I've seen electrical outlet "foams" for sale.

I'd also still be looking for a way to make your side positive pressure.
Perhaps a cold air intake for the return side of your furnace.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 3/6/2012 1:25 PM, Hank wrote:

Holding something that smokes ( like a cigarette) around different
places will help you determine where the odor is entering.

The outlets--that's something to try (though I wouldn't think that much
air would pass through them.
Nitrous might help. ;-)

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Brooklyn, NY
718-258-5001

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry to hear that. Ozium or Febreze may be palliative (one of the few
dental words I know, so I keep using it). I'd offer to come out and have a
look, but I'm about six hours drive away. You can find someone cheaper and
closer, I'm sure.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Steven Bornfeld" wrote in message

Chris--

Thanks--some of your suggestions sound useful (esp. if there is a way
to really create a net positive pressure.
My wife is way past the ibuprophen phase.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Brooklyn, NY
718-258-5001

Posted to alt.home.repair

Excellent idea! Keep em coming.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Sjouke Burry" s@b wrote in message
2.10...

To start with, produce some positive pressure in your
home, to stop the polluted air from coming into the house.
A ventilator sucking outside air would do that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Interesting. Got a URL?

Years ago, I think it was Alpine Air. Someone I knew loaned me an ozone
generator, which I ended up not buying. It was $500 for a little box with an
ionizer. One of those may help clear the air.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

Have you tried OZONE shocking the room and cabinets?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steven Bornfeld wrote:
The outlets--that's something to try (though I wouldn't think that
much air would pass through them.

It doesn't take much, and if your wife is sensitized to it, she will notice
an infinitesimal amount.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 6, 12:05*pm, Steven Bornfeld
wrote:
[...]

febreze to get rid of existing smell
we have successfully used bleach wiped on the non-porous surfaces and
gently sprayed on the porous ones.

positive air pressure
electronic air cleaner
seal between buildings

prognosis is not good. we live in rural area with a density of 1 hm
per several acres. 650 feet sw of us is obviously a heavy smoker. when
the wind shifts, swear it smells like being in a pool hall. no
mitigation for that at all. olfactory is sensitive to parts per
billion. found that inhaling a bit of antihistamine helps.

As with any allergy [like smelling cigarette smoke]; once triggered
stays for a long time, must then get exposure way down below level for
a long time to 'reset' sensitivity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steven wrote in message

We plan to do that (though our contractor seems to think it will take
too many cans--I think he suggested fiberglass insulation, though I'm
sure foam (is it polystyrene?) would seal far better.

I'm hoping not to have to re-open the wall, but I may have to. Have to
check the bank account. :-(

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2012 4:33 PM, Robert Macy wrote:
On Mar 6, 12:05 pm, Steven
wrote:
[...]

Maybe it's true for my wife. My sense of smell fatigues rather
quickly, and if it were just me I could live with it. But I don't think
I can live with the wife...and the smell at the same time.

Thanks,
Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2012 2:11 PM, Sjouke Burry wrote:
[...]

Several people have mentioned this, and it makes sense. Especially
given the (non) winter we've had here.

Thanks,
Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steven wrote in message

Chris--

Thanks--some of your suggestions sound useful (esp. if there is a way
to really create a net positive pressure.
My wife is way past the ibuprophen phase.

Steve

We have someone cheaper and closer. That may be part of the problem.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Before doing anythign major, like a dermal abrasion on your wall. Please
have a HVAC guy (or do it yourself) have a look at the ducts. You may have
arterial or venous shunt, which is mixing air with the othe side.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Steven Bornfeld" wrote in message

I'm hoping not to have to re-open the wall, but I may have to. Have to
check the bank account. :-(

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Brooklyn, NY
718-258-5001

Posted to alt.home.repair

May be an allergy, on her part. I know it is, for me.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Steven Bornfeld" wrote in message

As with any allergy [like smelling cigarette smoke]; once triggered
stays for a long time, must then get exposure way down below level for
a long time to 'reset' sensitivity.

Maybe it's true for my wife. My sense of smell fatigues rather
quickly, and if it were just me I could live with it. But I don't think
I can live with the wife...and the smell at the same time.

Thanks,
Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Brooklyn, NY
718-258-5001

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sometimes, cheaper isn't better. But, it does sound closer, which is also
important.

Please keep us up to date. I hope this works out well, for both of you.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Steven Bornfeld" wrote in message

We have someone cheaper and closer. That may be part of the problem.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Brooklyn, NY
718-258-5001

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hee are some ideas:

Shared dryer vents?

Shared Stove top cooking vents?

Shared plumbing stack venting? unlikely but if there is one missing
missing trap on one sink somewhere and the plumbing venting is shared
then air may be able to travel...

Chimney sharing?

Light fixtures on the ceiling? check for air leaks, it's a stretch but
worth a try.

Somebody mentioned electrical outlets

how about attic access doors??? silicone seal the cracks in the attic
door access to stop airflow and if you ever need access back into the
attic, it's easy to cut and reapply new sealant

Something between the garages?

Central vaccuum venting? or collection tank?

Air moving between the floor joists?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2012 5:25 PM, Steven Bornfeld wrote:
[...]

One simple measure that comes to mind is weatherstripping around
doors...are entrances close to each other, such that your exhaust fan
could pull air from their residence that way?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 6, 9:11*pm, Norminn wrote:
[...]

Probably best to open the common wall inspect for holes which could
provide a fire path, and spray foam everything with closed cell foam.
this would cut your heating bills too. R6.4 per inch
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 12:08:41 -0500, Steven Bornfeld
wrote:

[...]

Since you can't smell it, I'd try to confirm there is actually a
smell. You wife's smell might be off.
If she's a rabid anti-smoker, just seeing somebody smoking downwind
and 100 yards away can cause her to smell cigarette smoke,
You got good advice except for that omission.
I'd go for positive pressure first.
If that doesn't do it, the smell is old stuff that hasn't been sealed.
Or in her olfactory imagination.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steven Bornfeld wrote:
[...]

Are you sure they smoke ??

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2012 3:33 PM, Robert Macy wrote:
On Mar 6, 12:05 pm, Steven
wrote:
[...]

I'm deathly allergic to tobacco smoke and most people refuse to believe
that I can tell if the car in front of me on the freeway contains a
smoker. That poison is like pepper spray to me. What kind of an idiot
purposely inhales the byproducts of combustion? o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Quit before you get to tooth brush sharing.

Comedy aside, that's a good list to check.

Comedy back on. Steve, ask the people next door to light a couple dozen
smoke bombs, so you can see where it's coming through. They won't mind.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Duesenberg" wrote in message
Hee are some ideas:

Shared dryer vents?

Shared Stove top cooking vents?

Shared plumbing stack venting? unlikely but if there is one missing
missing trap on one sink somewhere and the plumbing venting is shared
then air may be able to travel...

Chimney sharing?

Light fixtures on the ceiling? check for air leaks, it's a stretch but
worth a try.

Somebody mentioned electrical outlets

how about attic access doors??? silicone seal the cracks in the attic
door access to stop airflow and if you ever need access back into the
attic, it's easy to cut and reapply new sealant

Something between the garages?

Central vaccuum venting? or collection tank?

Air moving between the floor joists?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've found that in buildings that had smokers in the past, the smokers film
on the wall and ceiling remains pretty much forever. What works for me, is
to mix up Pine Sol and hot water, and scrub the walls and ceiling with a
sponge mop. I've also used Amway Zoom (the blue window cleaner) on the TV
that came from my grand mother's apartment. Simple Green will probably do
fine, if you choose.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Vic Smith" wrote in message

Since you can't smell it, I'd try to confirm there is actually a
smell. You wife's smell might be off.
If she's a rabid anti-smoker, just seeing somebody smoking downwind
and 100 yards away can cause her to smell cigarette smoke,
You got good advice except for that omission.
I'd go for positive pressure first.
If that doesn't do it, the smell is old stuff that hasn't been sealed.
Or in her olfactory imagination.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

You start em young, and use a high pressure advertising campaign before
their brains harden and set in their ways.

My favorite irony is a fireman, coming out of a smoky burning building.
Takes off the air pack and lights one.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

I'm deathly allergic to tobacco smoke and most people refuse to believe
that I can tell if the car in front of me on the freeway contains a
smoker. That poison is like pepper spray to me. What kind of an idiot
purposely inhales the byproducts of combustion? o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 6, 3:03*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Hank, they are trying to keep the cig smoke out, not make their own!

I used that as an example. Anything that can produce a little smoke
will find the problem.

Another thought that was touched on by another poster is the range
vent. When teh range vent is running, it creates a negative pressure,
thereby POSSIBLY pulling air in thru the small cracks and openings
from the wall.

For a 100% sure fix................ buy a house and not a apt./
condo. :-)

Hank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steven Bornfeld wrote:
I write in hope of some serious answers. I know this general issue
has come up before, and wading through the incredulous and the trolls
doing a search yields nothing that seems likely to work. Maybe there
is nothing; if not, so be it.
We just moved into our new home after over 7 months of renovations. The
problem is cigarette smoke from one of our neighbors.

[...]

You could agitate your local elected betters to prohibit people smoking in
their own homes.

The current political thrust in some communities may well reward you with
the appropriate legislation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Entirely possible by the OP's description....being "very upset" at a
faint odor of smoke leans toward obsession. I smell smoke most of the
time, in the evening....neighborhood fireplace?....nobody else here can
smell it. I understand folks who hate cig. smoke, but why not the same
obsession about fireplaces, wood stoves and indust. pollution? Wood
burning gives off more carcinogens than 2nd hand cig. smoke.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

You do, if you drive a car ;o)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Many people are allergic to tobacco, but wood smoke is OK. I am one such.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Norminn" wrote in message
m...

Entirely possible by the OP's description....being "very upset" at a
faint odor of smoke leans toward obsession. I smell smoke most of the
time, in the evening....neighborhood fireplace?....nobody else here can
smell it. I understand folks who hate cig. smoke, but why not the same
obsession about fireplaces, wood stoves and indust. pollution? Wood
burning gives off more carcinogens than 2nd hand cig. smoke.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I find it more essential to travel, than to use tobacco.

Me, well, I'd like to see tobacco outlawed. I'm sure it will never happen,
but I'd like to. Then, of course, people will have to buy cigs off the
street corner like MJ and crack and such. And cellars of buildings will turn
into "smoke easys".

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Norminn" wrote in message
m...

I'm deathly allergic to tobacco smoke and most people refuse to believe
that I can tell if the car in front of me on the freeway contains a
smoker. That poison is like pepper spray to me. What kind of an idiot
purposely inhales the byproducts of combustion? o_O

TDD

You do, if you drive a car ;o)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Duesenberg" wrote in message

Shared dryer vents?

They don't even have to be shared. Anytime the dryer is running, it
creates a negative pressure which sucks air in from every little crack
and crevice.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 6, 10:54*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

I'm deathly allergic to tobacco smoke and most people refuse to believe
that I can tell if the car in front of me on the freeway contains a
smoker. That poison is like pepper spray to me. What kind of an idiot
purposely inhales the byproducts of combustion? o_O

TDD

I never heard of anybody dying from an allergy to cigarette smoke. I
couldn't find any link to that info. Got a link?

Hank